Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409192 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15810 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:29 AM »
Here you go!

I deleted an old post of mine to catch this, but definitely worth it  ;D

ahhh you're the best thank you ;__; you didn't have to sacrifice a post but... i appreciate it.......
you'll know where to find me.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15811 on: June 23, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
Jhev, I also would suggest optometrist, maybe ask them to check intraocular pressure as well as the usual stuff, and maybe also ask your GP to check your blood pressure. Either could probably tell you if there are other problems like neck and shoulder muscle tension.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15812 on: June 23, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »

ahhh you're the best thank you ;__; you didn't have to sacrifice a post but... i appreciate it.......

No problem! At this point I think I'm almost as invested in it as you are >_>
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #15813 on: June 23, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »
If I have terrible vision would I still be able to get my piloting license eventually is the better question because that's what I'm worried about . .

This is from many-years-old knowledge and only applies to the USA, but as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 you can get licensed.
...I wonder what lessons would cost these days...?

IKEA

« Reply #15814 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
This is from many-years-old knowledge and only applies to the USA, but as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 you can get licensed.
...I wonder what lessons would cost these days...?
Well, in America for a four year college course working towards a commercial pilot license with a flight instructor certification it costs on the order of 50 000 USD. Private pilot, this place says that it costs around $9,000.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15815 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »
Well, in America for a four year college course working towards a commercial pilot license with a flight instructor certification it costs on the order of 50 000 USD. Private pilot, this place says that it costs around $9,000.
Whew, that's hefty, good thing I don't want to do commercial. Too much time, and obviously too much money, plus just not the career I want, not that I'd be opposed to it. I like the idea of being a private pilot, just taking myself and maybe some close friends off around on adventures. $9,000 isn't too bad, that's about the price of a decent car, so probably do-able when I'm not a fresh college grad in my early 20's working minimum wage, but do-able sometime in the future hopefully when life's a bit more stable.

Huffff so many people who are either new or rarely check in are flooding to discuss the debacle, I know I've only been here a few months but I feel like I'm in a usually small quiet town that's suddenly gotten flooded with tourists ;_; 

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #15816 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »
These are the same sorts of people who take bison selfies and get gored at Yellowstone  >:(
So my dad teaches at a college in the city (which city? The world may never know) and one time he brought a couple of students out to a state park to do some research (he's a biologist). While they were there, at one point they stumbled across a bear cub. The students started cooing and wanted to get closer and take pictures, but my dad was trying to get them away in case the mama bear came. They were fine and were able to get out of there before anything happened, but apparently stuff like this happens a lot with his students from the city, which can be a problem when he needs to bring them to do fieldwork.

If I have terrible vision would I still be able to get my piloting license eventually is the better question because that's what I'm worried about . .
I was under the impression you needed your vision corrected via surgery to 20/20, but having looked it up as long as you can wear glasses or contacts that correct it to 20/20, I think you should be fine. Looking up the price of a private pilot license says that the average cost is $9,900. I think this link has some pretty good answers both regarding price and ways to make the most of it.
Successfully got a link to work, woo!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15817 on: June 24, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
So my dad teaches at a college in the city (which city? The world may never know) and one time he brought a couple of students out to a state park to do some research (he's a biologist). While they were there, at one point they stumbled across a bear cub. The students started cooing and wanted to get closer and take pictures, but my dad was trying to get them away in case the mama bear came. They were fine and were able to get out of there before anything happened, but apparently stuff like this happens a lot with his students from the city, which can be a problem when he needs to bring them to do fieldwork.

It's a huge, HUGE problem in Yellowstone.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15818 on: June 24, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »
So to update, its a good thing I went because I do need glasses. So I now have to swap back and forth between the reading glasses and the distance glasses. Or get bifocals but I'm going to try switching them out first and see how annoying that gets.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

IKEA

« Reply #15819 on: June 25, 2016, 10:15:34 PM »
Good luck Jhev! I've never had bifocals, but people who I know wear them say that they're not much different from ordinary glasses.

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #15820 on: June 26, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
Am I the only one who draws on paper and brushes aside a bit of eraser lint only to realize it was actually a tiny bug because of the reddish smear now left behind?
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15821 on: June 26, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
Quote from: IKEA
Good luck Jhev! I've never had bifocals, but people who I know wear them say that they're not much different from ordinary glasses.
Thanks! I haven't decided to use bifocals yet though, just swapping between the regular glasses and the reading glasses.

Quote from: Jethan
Am I the only one who draws on paper and brushes aside a bit of eraser lint only to realize it was actually a tiny bug because of the reddish smear now left behind?
Sadly, no. I also do the digital version of this and sit there erasing something wondering why it won't go away, and then I realize it's a spot on my screen.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #15822 on: June 26, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Sadly, no. I also do the digital version of this and sit there erasing something wondering why it won't go away, and then I realize it's a spot on my screen.

Yes... I do that all the time! I need to clean my screen...
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #15823 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:55 PM »
Heh heh.  I haven't done much digital drawing lately, but one time I was doing a lot more work on the computer, and then when I'd write or draw something on paper I would move my fingers in order to push Control+S.  That'll really work!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15824 on: June 27, 2016, 12:10:22 AM »
Nope, me too.
Heh heh.  I haven't done much digital drawing lately, but one time I was doing a lot more work on the computer, and then when I'd write or draw something on paper I would move my fingers in order to push Control+S.  That'll really work!
Ahah, I do this all the time. (Ctrl-z! Ctrl-z! WAIT A SECOND)
I have also caught myself touching the paper with my fingers, trying to zoom in.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain: