Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387314 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15555 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
Random aside, I kept thinking that yesterday was Sunday and spent an awful lot of time hitting F5 in the evening.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15556 on: May 22, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »
We used to have mason bees where I lived in France, but haven't seen them where I live now in South Australia. We have blue-banded bees, which are wonderful buzz pollinators, leaf-cutter bees, domino bees (so called because they are black with six white spots), and maybe a dozen different kinds of the tiny dark native bees, and we have flower wasps. There are also both feral and domestic Apis mellifera, the common honeybee. My garden is very floriferous, all year, because my European fruit trees flower in Spring, and I have a lot of bulbs and native plants for the rest of the year. When flowering weeds such as dandelion turn up I just harvest the leaves and leave the flowers for the bees,then at the end of summer I do a big harvest of dandelion flowers to make wine and cordial.
We see honeybees which I'm not sure where they come from (they really like our big rosemary though) and like two or three different kinds of bumblebee, plus a bunch of little bees/wasps. Our garden has a lot of flowers most of the year, though we pretty much only eat the plums and various herbs.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15557 on: May 22, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »
Yeah, I really love bees. I've had hives at several places I've lived, and my gran had bees on the farm when I was a kid. They make a garden feel homely. I don't own any at present, but a nearby apiarist pastures a hive or two in my garden when other areas are short of flowers, in return for a share of the honey. I really should rejoin the Beekeepers Association and get another hive of my own, because I want to make more mead this year. I gave my last hive to a friend with an orchard at a time when I was moving and life was chaotic, then they seemed so happy among his fruit trees that I hadn't heart to move them again.
I've always wanted to learn bee keeping (I've also always wanted to learn falconry, I just want to learn all of the fun animal keeping hobbies) I hope you can get another hive and get back into bee keeping, I'm sure it's a really lovely past time.

Random aside, I kept thinking that yesterday was Sunday and spent an awful lot of time hitting F5 in the evening.
I've done that a few Fridays, forgotten that it was Friday and been eagerly checking the page every few minutes before realizing I had nothing coming.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #15558 on: May 22, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
I've done that a few Fridays, forgotten that it was Friday and been eagerly checking the page every few minutes before realizing I had nothing coming.

That always happens to me when pages go up early, because it makes Friday's page go up on Thursday for me. So I always expect a page on Friday, then suddenly remember we already have it.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15559 on: May 23, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »
Okay. Three Fridays, three exams to present for jujutsu. Okay. I can do it, I can do it... I can will do it.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Uinuvien

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15560 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:29 AM »
I was productively difficult tenant and I DIDN'T lose my temper. Our hallway light has been dark for ~two weeks (either the light rod has been burned or the starter has broken), but the base of it is so loosely attached to ceiling it would fall down if we tried to do something to it. I messaged the housing foundation about this last week, because it is their responsibility to fix it, and because nothing have happened, I called them few moments ago. I expressed my annoyance and displeasure, but didn't start to yell or cry. And they promised to try to speed things up, because our hallway is windowless and therefore pitch dark. So, win-win :D
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :sweden:
Some knowledge :germany:
:chap5: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15561 on: May 23, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »
It seems I celebrate my forum anniversary today :)

A little summary of this year in the fandom:

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15562 on: May 23, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »

Happy Forumniversary! That sure is a pile of stuff! ;D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15563 on: May 23, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »

Oooh, nice ! And happy forum anniversary, Helia ! :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15564 on: May 23, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »

oh gosh that's a super cool collection (and im not jsut saying that because i see stuff i made in there...........)!! i get all warm and gooey inside thinking about how we as a community have traded gifts and art and end up with collections like this. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15565 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »

Woo hoo!  Happy Forumversary! \o/

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15566 on: May 23, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
Thanks everyone. This "pile" is far from the whole collection though... There are a lot more stuff both in the 'things I made' and the 'things I received' group. It's heartwarming... and maybe a bit alarming  :))

oh gosh that's a super cool collection (and im not jsut saying that because i see stuff i made in there...........)!! i get all warm and gooey inside thinking about how we as a community have traded gifts and art and end up with collections like this. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Oh, this is certainly a great and highly inspirational community <3
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15567 on: May 23, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »

That's so cool! Congratulations on an awesome year!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15568 on: May 23, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
Helia, wow! So much stuff!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #15569 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:55 AM »
Helia, happy forumversary! That is an awe-inspiring collection of products of fandom talent.