Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387447 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 22, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »
.My roommate's back from partying, and he's snoring like a damn train wreck. So, 2.5 hours of sleep posting time, yay!  (If I was a mean person, I'd plug my computer into his loud, loud very-loud speakers and play some of Jack White's guitar solos. Hangovers: easy to take advantage of)

Eich, this is how supervillians get started O_O
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1681 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »
This just reminded me.  We have a guy on campus over here who is most commonly known as "Mohawk Guy."  He has a 2 foot long, 8 pronged Mohawk that he dies bright orange.  He's also really active in the church community, I think.  Either way, he's very easy to spot in a crowd.

Funny, I have been active in Church when I started to grow my mohawk. First question I asked my social coworker back than was, if I was still allowed to work with the children if put on clean clothes. He laughed at me and said for all he knew I might come there in rags as long as I would act nice to the children and made them feel well for the short time we saw them every week. This haircut definitely gets you into lots of conversations.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1682 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
Eich, this is how supervillians get started O_O
PFft.  That made me laugh.  It would upset me almost as much as him, if I did that, though. 

Funny, I have been active in Church when I started to grow my mohawk. First question I asked my social coworker back than was, if I was still allowed to work with the children if put on clean clothes. He laughed at me and said for all he knew I might come there in rags as long as I would act nice to the children and made them feel well for the short time we saw them every week. This haircut definitely gets you into lots of conversations.
D'aww.  That was nice of him.
I could never work with kids.  I don't have the personality for handling them.  It takes a lot of finesse that I don't have.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1683 on: November 22, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
PFft.  That made me laugh.  It would upset me almost as much as him, if I did that, though. 
D'aww.  That was nice of him.
I could never work with kids.  I don't have the personality for handling them.  It takes a lot of finesse that I don't have.

Kids are very... Hard. Every time it comes to one below eleven I'm like, "Um, okay, " and pretty much let the kid do whatever they want. When I'm at church I've also been known - but only by my mom - to hide from the toddlers. I really hope someone never decides that I would be a great babysitter, because I wouldn't be assertive enough to say no.

Finhawk

• Super-Newbie
  • King of Apples | Mohawk Lord
« Reply #1684 on: November 22, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
What is left of it is hairloss in the area where I dyed and sprayed ;). Though it got somewhat better about the last six years. Maybe the skin there has gained some trust in me being good to it again.

Yeah, that's the price you gotta pay for having epic hair. :p

I also noticed my hair getting thinner from the middle after getting a mohawk and torturing it with hairspray. However, it's not really that noticeable (as of yet at least) since I've had thick and healthy hair since I was a kid and I'm lazy so I usually just comb the thing back nowadays. :,D

I have never dyed my hair though, I kinda like my natural dark brown. Though green happens to be my favorite color and I've given some serious thought to the idea. Buuuut it usually takes me ages to get anything done so it might take some time before my hair turns green.

This just reminded me.  We have a guy on campus over here who is most commonly known as "Mohawk Guy."  He has a 2 foot long, 8 pronged Mohawk that he dies bright orange.  He's also really active in the church community, I think.  Either way, he's very easy to spot in a crowd.

I bet he's hot.

I've seen a guy with a bright orange mohawk around the town here as well. What a coincidence. :p

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1685 on: November 22, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Kids are very... Hard. Every time it comes to one below eleven I'm like, "Um, okay, " and pretty much let the kid do whatever they want. When I'm at church I've also been known - but only by my mom - to hide from the toddlers. I really hope someone never decides that I would be a great babysitter, because I wouldn't be assertive enough to say no.
Urgh, kids. Somehow I manage to be good with them. But I actually really don't like it.
Now guess who gets to look after the little cousins when they visit and the *other adults* are much too occupied with *adult talk* to do the job...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #1686 on: November 22, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
I've notice that kids almost always pick the youngest adult out of a family or company and try to spend more time with that one than with any other. Sometimes even if their chosen 'buddy' doesn't show any affection towards them. There has to be an explanation given by psychologists, right?
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1687 on: November 22, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
I've notice that kids almost always pick the youngest adult out of a family or company and try to spend more time with that one than with any other. Sometimes even if their chosen 'buddy' doesn't show any affection towards them. There has to be an explanation given by psychologists, right?

hmmm never made an observation like that, but maybe they stick to the one closest of age and they assume that these understand them better? When I started to work with kids as a youth those I disliked most liked me best. Especially girls being of high voice and so freakish pink. I was the clear opposite of princess style but maybe they liked that and were confident enough to explore people with different behavior. Luckyli the bad ones liked me as well so I was able to make a profession of it. But I can perfectly understand why people can imagine better things than spending there daytime with children ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1688 on: November 22, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
hmmm never made an observation like that, but maybe they stick to the one closest of age and they assume that these understand them better? When I started to work with kids as a youth those I disliked most liked me best. Especially girls being of high voice and so freakish pink. I was the clear opposite of princess style but maybe they liked that and were confident enough to explore people with different behavior. Luckyli the bad ones liked me as well so I was able to make a profession of it. But I can perfectly understand why people can imagine better things than spending there daytime with children ;).
To be honest, Kex, spending my daytime with kids ranks extremely low in my book. But someone's got the patience and guts to do it and that's something I can admire.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #1689 on: November 22, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »

As far as I remember from my early years, I used to look up to teenage girls next door. In my child's mind they were mature, yet so cool, so smart, so glamorous - unlike other adults, who seemed just dull and bossy, meh.
By the way, I kind of admire your ability to work with so many different kids and do so of your own free will. Most people I know (including myself) would require rehabilitation after spending few days with children  :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:56:09 PM by curiosity »
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1690 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
I would've guessed that they seek out the grown-up that's most on their youthful level, regardless of age, maybe. Maybe not. Probably not. I don't know.

Kids (toddlers mostly) always gravitate towards my younger sister, I think it's because she looks like a princess or something, nearly a dead-ringer for Honey Lemon from BH6 (from what I've seen in the ads... It won't come out til after Christmas here ;__;) and she gets them to sit quietly and watch a movie or build stuff. Sometimes they follow me around, and it's totally weird and scary but I'll just go with it awkwardly...
*applause and hugs and more respect for Kex and her awesomeness*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1691 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
*applause and hugs and more respect for Kex and her awesomeness*
*joins the motion*
I think kex just has the patience and optimism that most of us can never manage to bring up...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1692 on: November 22, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »
Remember back to near the beginning of the thread when I said my sister was singing "I Want to be Where the People Are" or whatever it's called from The Little Mermaid in an endless loop? Well she was doing that again today at the top of her lungs for like an hour but I didn't say anything. Just a moment ago I started practicing a song I need to have memorized exactly 11 hours and 45 minutes from now - I only know the first verse - and she made me stop. (Sigh.)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1693 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:11 PM »
Remember back to near the beginning of the thread when I said my sister was singing "I Want to be Where the People Are" or whatever it's called from The Little Mermaid in an endless loop? Well she was doing that again today at the top of her lungs for like an hour but I didn't say anything. Just a moment ago I started practicing a song I need to have memorized exactly 11 hours and 45 minutes from now - I only know the first verse - and she made me stop. (Sigh.)
Tell her like it is, then.  Nicely, of course, but like it is.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1694 on: November 22, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »
My little sister does the same thing! With the same song! O___O
Just tell it to her straight, take no prisoners! Your practice trumps her singing hands down!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: