Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409689 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15465 on: May 12, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »
I just tried to see whether AO3 would accept me telling it that my story had at total of pi chapters. It didn't work. :(
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15466 on: May 12, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »
I just tried to see whether AO3 would accept me telling it that my story had at total of pi chapters. It didn't work. :(

Did you write 3.14 or π? (It's alt+p on mac) :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #15467 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
Did you write 3.14 or π? (It's alt+p on mac) :D

I don't do Macs if I can avoid it. Macs are eeeeeeeeeevil.

(And I wrote the actual word "pi.")

Athena

« Reply #15468 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
I don't do Macs if I can avoid it. Macs are eeeeeeeeeevil.

(And I wrote the actual word "pi.")

*shrug* I've always grown up around Macs the format and stuff seems more natural to me. PCs seem to crash more and randomly install updates without asking. I'm ok with working on both though, usually. I prefer macs though.

(It would make sense that wouldn't work, the number slot would probably not accept letters :P)

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #15469 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:55 PM »
*shrug* I've always grown up around Macs the format and stuff seems more natural to me. PCs seem to crash more and randomly install updates without asking. I'm ok with working on both though, usually. I prefer macs though.

(It would make sense that wouldn't work, the number slot would probably not accept letters :P)

Linux! That is all I have to say.

(Well, that and I recently found out that Apple Music will literally snoop into your computer and delete all of the music right off your hard drive, so you can only keep listening to your own music if you keep paying them for your subscription, plus Apple isn't as open to modifications because you have to do everything their way, and I might have been condescended to one too many times by Mac fanpeople telling me every last one of my computer problems are all my own fault for not getting a Mac.)

Athena

« Reply #15470 on: May 12, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »
Linux! That is all I have to say.

(Well, that and I recently found out that Apple Music will literally snoop into your computer and delete all of the music right off your hard drive, so you can only keep listening to your own music if you keep paying them for your subscription, plus Apple isn't as open to modifications because you have to do everything their way, and I might have been condescended to one too many times by Mac fanpeople telling me every last one of my computer problems are all my own fault for not getting a Mac.)

Yeah, I don't like apple music. It's just a moneymaking scheme, and all of iTunes as a whole is messed up so badly that I can barely use it. I download mp3s from online and play them with quicktime or VLC, and leave iTunes to eat my dust. *shakes fist at sky*

Also, you can modify macs, but it takes a bit more work. and it will pretty much instantly void your warranty the moment you try to touch anything. (software & hardware)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15471 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »
Same. I have less problems with my old Mac laptop than my friends with their less old PCs. The only difficulty I had was switching keyboard for work and home during the first hour ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15472 on: May 13, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
You should always use whatever computer fits your needs.

My ex-GF was (and still is) a big Mac person and was disappointed that when I got a new computer I stuck with a PC.  (OF course, I pointed out that I could buy and throw away three PCs for the cost of one Mac).

But, then, I barely turn on my computer at home.  I stare at a computer all day long at work.  I'd much rather do other things outside work:  hiking, radio, guitar, reading etc.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15473 on: May 13, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
I had to use a mac for an audio program to go with a puppet show my library was doing, and it took me a full day to figure that dang thing out.

Also, I've been trying to get my friends to read SSSS, and most of them are just 'ok cool I'll look into it', but the snark was strong in one of them and it turned into a half-joking argument where I started spamming his email and skype with pictures of Emil. Now I'm debating whether  or not I should start drawing pictures of Emil and leaving them where he can find them. Such is my life now.

:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15474 on: May 13, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
I had to use a mac for an audio program to go with a puppet show my library was doing, and it took me a full day to figure that dang thing out.

Also, I've been trying to get my friends to read SSSS, and most of them are just 'ok cool I'll look into it', but the snark was strong in one of them and it turned into a half-joking argument where I started spamming his email and skype with pictures of Emil. Now I'm debating whether  or not I should start drawing pictures of Emil and leaving them where he can find them. Such is my life now.
Yes. You should definitely do this.  ^-^ And then put the Emil drawings in the Forum's fanart thread. Yes.

Occasionally I will spam my friends with random Lalli drawings, though more often it is random doodles of my own characters. Now my friends know all my characters' names. ;D It's kind of weird.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15475 on: May 13, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
Quote from: Tr
Occasionally I will spam my friends with random Lalli drawings, though more often it is random doodles of my own characters. Now my friends know all my characters' names. ;D It's kind of weird.

My entire circle of friends is my D&D group, so yeah they know ALL my characters names, D&D character or no. Also I normally draw crappy sketches in my notebook whenever I fall unconscious (which is most fights cause I'm normally squishy) so they also get all the spam drawings as well. Haven't really had any sessions since I started reading SSSS though, so they haven't had the entire crew forced upon them yet.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:

Athena

« Reply #15476 on: May 13, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »
My entire circle of friends is my D&D group, so yeah they know ALL my characters names, D&D character or no. Also I normally draw crappy sketches in my notebook whenever I fall unconscious (which is most fights cause I'm normally squishy) so they also get all the spam drawings as well. Haven't really had any sessions since I started reading SSSS though, so they haven't had the entire crew forced upon them yet.

Did someone say D&D?! I literally just finished a session! I host a game every Friday, and usually DM for my friends! :D

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15477 on: May 13, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Quote from: Luth Nightbreeze
Did someone say D&D?! I literally just finished a session! I host a game every Friday, and usually DM for my friends! :D
Omg every Friday, if only I were so lucky I normally have to beg for every two weeks and as it is I haven't played in a month. I am a simple player most of the time, but I'm dipping my toes into the DM ocean at my library and running a game there.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15478 on: May 13, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Sighhhh it's been almost a year since I've gotten to play D&D :c I still carry around my dice bag in my purse everywhere in case a chance to play D&D arises.

I still haven't had a chance to play 5th edition yet and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of it, but just about everyone I normally play with has already and isn't willing to give it another try and just wants to stick to 3.5 or pathfinder =/

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15479 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
I actually kind of like 5th edition, it forces you to make a backstory which was very refreshing for my unimaginative friends. The only thing I strongly don't like is how shields work now. No matter what kind it is, it only gives you +2 armor class. Buckler? +2. Tower shield? +2. We just use whatever 3.5 rules we like more than the 5th edition ones to be honest.