Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387271 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15360 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
Iceea, I like that idea. Especially a chance to have some of my stuff illustrated by the artists here, or to write about their pictures. Have you seen the Shoop/Sectoboss collaborations? They're great.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15361 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
They all sound good to me! Also I don't see why you would need a mod for the middle one. You can PM people or post the assignments in the main thread if you choose to run it.

I guess Lazy8 didn't mean a forum moderator, just a person who volunteers to run the exchange.
But I like the exchange idea the best.

The Unlos/Roisín and Shoop/SctoBoss collaborations were awesome, it would be great to have more like those.

And yet another thought: what if we try to make an art/fic challenge or collaboration for the Summer solstice?
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15362 on: May 04, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »
I guess Lazy8 didn't mean a forum moderator, just a person who volunteers to run the exchange.
But I like the exchange idea the best.

Ah that makes more sense :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15363 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »

That is correct.

So it seems like most people who are interested are in favor of exchange? Okay then, I guess I'll try to set that up sometime this weekend, whichever way people ultimately vote. (Still open to suggestions, though.)

ahh, a small suggestion for a slight variation. Artist makes a drawing, painting, whatever, and requests a fic about the art or using the art as a scene setter. And the opposite, a writer writes a story, poem, song, etc and requests art relating to the written work.
And as  or in my case worse. 

I like this idea as well. I've done this exact thing spontaneously on a couple of occasions. And you know, the exchange would only be the first exchange, we can try different things on subsequent rounds...
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15364 on: May 04, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
I'm mostly in favor of the exchange idea too, though I wonder - does it need to be anonymous? I really like the idea of collaboration, and it would be cool to be able to get feedback from the person making the request (or to ask questions). Plus there would be less work on the organizer's end, once the collaborators have been assigned. I really like Iceea's suggestion too, because I definitely get inspired to write things by looking at art or inspired to draw things from reading fics. If we wanted to do something like that, people could maybe request an art or writing connected to something they've already made (instead of creating a brand-new work to have the collaborator work from) for the first go-round. (Not sure if that makes sense, right now the artist part of me is really wishing I had a minute to like draw up a diagram of what I'm thinking to explain better).

Also, it could maybe get a little hairy if we have different numbers of artists or writers, but I imagine there are a few people like me who are willing to do either, whichever side needs more.

Something for midsummer would be cool too. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #15365 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
I'm mostly in favor of the exchange idea too, though I wonder - does it need to be anonymous? I really like the idea of collaboration, and it would be cool to be able to get feedback from the person making the request (or to ask questions). Plus there would be less work on the organizer's end, once the collaborators have been assigned. I really like Iceea's suggestion too, because I definitely get inspired to write things by looking at art or inspired to draw things from reading fics. If we wanted to do something like that, people could maybe request an art or writing connected to something they've already made (instead of creating a brand-new work to have the collaborator work from) for the first go-round. (Not sure if that makes sense, right now the artist part of me is really wishing I had a minute to like draw up a diagram of what I'm thinking to explain better).

Also, it could maybe get a little hairy if we have different numbers of artists or writers, but I imagine there are a few people like me who are willing to do either, whichever side needs more.

I would like to have the 'already made' option done, please.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #15366 on: May 04, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »

I think it would be cool to have it open- If we see a topic we like, we can just say "Hey, I'll do that one!" and then just like Kiraly said, there can be collaboration. Plus, it would make it slightly easier to know what's already taken. And then if there are more artists or writers, maybe there could be art-art or writing-writing pairs too? I think the whole idea's pretty cool.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #15367 on: May 04, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
me thinks I need to put fingers to kbd to get a head start on this ;)
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #15368 on: May 05, 2016, 01:52:53 AM »
Iceea, I like that idea. Especially a chance to have some of my stuff illustrated by the artists here, or to write about their pictures. Have you seen the Shoop/Sectoboss collaborations? They're great.

My favourite pieces of Lalli art on the thread. I would love it if that kind of stuff got done more and more often around the forum.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #15369 on: May 05, 2016, 06:58:58 AM »
What are these Shoop/Sectoboss collaborations you're talking about? I've seen Shoop draw for Sectoboss's fics after they were published, but I don't think those were collaborations as in "writer and artist decide to work together from the start". So, am I missing something?

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15370 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
Happy Cinco de Mayo

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15371 on: May 05, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15372 on: May 05, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »

*buffs nails*  My work here is done.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15373 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
Scout: you'd probably need to go back through Archive of Our Own or the Scriptorium, but if I recall correctly, Shoop did a drawing for SectoBoss's 1920s AU, then they coordinated on a few more? Don't remember the details.

Unlos and I both wanted to do Winter Solstice on the Forum Advent Calendar. She's an artist, I'm a poet, so we decided to share. That's my Solstice invocation, with her illustration of the team around the Midwinter fire. Then we did Spring Equinox (the one with Lalli playing a sallow flute while sitting in an old willow tree, and the poem about life growing from death).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #15374 on: May 06, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »
Does anyone here know any websites that keep stocks recorded for an extended amount of time? (like a month or so)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney