Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387234 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15090 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
Back when I was a girl, I knew someone who made crackle-glass for jewellery craft projects by heating a wire frying basket full of glass marbles in very hot oil, then plunging the basket into a container of iced water.  Very very carefully, and covering the container of iced water with a lid,  instantly as the marbles went in, because you could sometimes get a marble that burst and shattered rather than cracking decoratively. Very hot flying glass splinters - not good. My grandmother used to insist he had to do it out in the barn in winter, which was the only time we had ice (no electricity on the farm).

Yuuago: caught fire?!? For how long did he microwave it?

OwlsG0: potatoes don't do that if you make a few holes with a fork first. Eggs, on the other hand, require a little pin device to pierce the membrane inside the shell, and even this doesn't always work. I discovered this quite by accident, upon my first attempt to use my husband's multitude of high-tech bachelor cooking gadgets when we were first married. I was used to a woodstove or open fires, or a camp oven, and my first try at a microwave succeeded in blowing up an egg quite spectacularly. I won't talk about what I did to his fancy non-stick cookware!

I still won't use a microwave for protein or dairy, because I find the result just smells wrong, and for me at least is completely indigestible.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15091 on: April 15, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »
Yuuago: caught fire?!? For how long did he microwave it?

Are you refering to the cd or the yogurt?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Róisín

« Reply #15092 on: April 15, 2016, 01:33:42 AM »
The yoghurt. I can understand a cd catching fire, but yoghurt? Unless it was in a flammable plastic cup?

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15093 on: April 15, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »
I'd never have considered yoghurt to be flammable
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15094 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
The only thing I can think is that maybe if the foil cover wasn't completely removed from the yogurt it could have caught fire? I had a roommate once who hadn't grown up with a microwave...and we found out after months of living with her that she didn't know metal wasn't supposed to go in there, because another roommate walked into the kitchen and there was a plate of food in the microwave with a fork in it spitting sparks everywhere. We're lucky she didn't burn the house down...
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #15095 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
The only thing I can think is that maybe if the foil cover wasn't completely removed from the yogurt it could have caught fire? I had a roommate once who hadn't grown up with a microwave...and we found out after months of living with her that she didn't know metal wasn't supposed to go in there, because another roommate walked into the kitchen and there was a plate of food in the microwave with a fork in it spitting sparks everywhere. We're lucky she didn't burn the house down...

She didn't notice the sparks?

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15096 on: April 15, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
The yoghurt. I can understand a cd catching fire, but yoghurt? Unless it was in a flammable plastic cup?

I'm not sure exactly why it caught fire, I wasn't home at the time. My sister was the one to notice it and pull it out of the microwave. I think it might have been from the lid of the yogurt having a bit of foil on it?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15097 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
She didn't notice the sparks?

She had a habit of putting things in the microwave and then leaving the room. And also of microwaving some disgusting fishy thing that made our house smell terrible. We were...pretty glad when she moved out.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #15098 on: April 15, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
I'll second Róison on the egg in the microwave trick. My first wife and I got one of the early, 1972-ish vintage, machines. One of the first things we tried was a poached egg. Just as the bell went ding, telling us the cook time was done, it exploded. :o The egg, not the microwave. The timing was perfect!
We spent about an hour cleaning the inside. :P This was before they had smooth, easily wipe-able coatings on the inside. It was all metal.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #15099 on: April 15, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
And here I'm thinking I only ever use a microwave for reheating leftovers (and sometimes making popcorn).  It's a kitchen appliance I could easily live without.

Róisín

« Reply #15100 on: April 15, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
Me too! But my beloved, who is sadly down the very inexpert end of cooking skills, would probably starve without it if I was away longterm! In fact back in the late 1980s when I had a couple of months of work on a desert expedition, he assured me that he and the two sons still at home would be fine cooking for themselves, but what he actually meant was microwaved food and bought pizza. After a week of this the boys rebelled. They were 21 and 19 at the time, and the older lad insisted on taking over the cooking. Fortunately he is a very good cook. They didn't tell me any of this until I was back home!

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15101 on: April 15, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
I have no funny cooking stories to tell, and really the topic isn't related at all,  but  earthquakes freak me out! Or rather, they make me dizzy like a flea in a vortex. Ugh.
And we don't even get the brunt of it up here in Yamaguchi!
I hope the people in Kumamoto are fine... At least there is nobody down there I know.  :(

Also, making another attempt to sleep and hoping the drunk people next door don't fall over if we get another one. Pah!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:01:55 PM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #15102 on: April 15, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
I have no funny cooking stories to tell, and really the topic isn't related at all,  but  earthquakes freak me out! Or rather, they make me dizzy like a flea in a vortex. Ugh.
And we don't even get the brunt of it up here in Yamaguchi!
I hope the people in Kumamoto are fine... At least there is nobody down there I know.  :(

Also, making another attempt to sleep and hoping the drunk people next door don't fall over if we get another one. Pah!

Yeah, not a fan of earhquakes. I live where the ground is pretty solid.

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15103 on: April 15, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
I'll second Róison on the egg in the microwave trick. My first wife and I got one of the early, 1972-ish vintage, machines. One of the first things we tried was a poached egg. Just as the bell went ding, telling us the cook time was done, it exploded. :o The egg, not the microwave. The timing was perfect!
We spent about an hour cleaning the inside. :P This was before they had smooth, easily wipe-able coatings on the inside. It was all metal.
People were giving me weird looks in the train when I was snickering reading your comment and I still can't keep myself from laughing when imagining the the *ding followed up by the egg splatting  :'D
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #15104 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
People were giving me weird looks in the train when I was snickering reading your comment and I still can't keep myself from laughing when imagining the the *ding followed up by the egg splatting  :'D

It must have been quite a

*puts on sunglasses*

eggsplosion.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHH
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: