Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387628 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14715 on: March 28, 2016, 12:52:41 AM »
Reaction 2, after reading some: tolkien you nerd
Turns out he, uh, """borrowed""" a few all of the dwarf-names.

He borrowed a great deal from all around! :D The legend of Túrin Turambar is basically just the legend of Kullervo from Kalevala.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14716 on: March 28, 2016, 04:41:20 AM »
(my new favourite thing: that one part where the giant takes Mjollnir hostage for Freya to marry him and she's like "haha no" so Thor puts on a wedding dress)

Ha. We had a school play based on this in the 5th grade. This was in the North, so there was lots of artistic license swearing involved. Thor in particular made a lot of parents go  :o

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14717 on: March 28, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
usually pair it with something like the Irish 'Munachar and Manachar', that lets them play with words and help to tell the story. The serious stories I save for the adults, and the really dark stuff for after the audience have gone home. This year at the Gumeracha Fair they've put me in

But...if the audience has gone home, who do you tell stories to?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14718 on: March 28, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
Establish rapport during the official event, then later whisper "the really dark stuff" into their dreams? >:D

(Nah, I'm sure that it takes place on the occasion of making a final renegotiation of the salary ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14719 on: March 28, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »
Yourself, of course! :D
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14720 on: March 28, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
WELP that was a couple days without internet but HERE I AM!! I was in italy for a week. hello.
if I had been able to give regular updates you probably would have heard about:

- kitschy snowglobe souvenirs containing C H R I S T   O F   T H E    A B Y S S

- pizzas with tiny cartoon quality squids on them. tiny squids on almost all the food, actually. why is everything seafood. i thought italy was the homeland of pasta bolognese

- the rental car that was supposed to have a lot of space but was instead just ugly. it got not-so-lovingly nicknamed The Abomination

- the first apartment had a circle of dead insects mysteriously appearing in the middle of the room overnight. the second apartment had a creepy doll i had to put in a drawer so we could sleep.

- we visited a castle on an island with a UNICORN SCULPTURE in the garden. it was good.

- other than that we mostly visited Cinque Terre and similar towns hidden away from cars and roads and only reachable by boats and trains. pretty neato.

- giant easter kinder egg

- i COULD HAVE MET NIMPHY but alas, times and locations did not quite add up this time. I did however bring with me forum person Jumezat and all of the amigurumis Helia had made me, so even without wifi I wasn't completely disconnected from the SSSS.

did anything fun happen over here while I was away?
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14721 on: March 28, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, Haiz : D
I don't think you missed anything forum-y, but the comic updates have been pretty intense.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14722 on: March 28, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
- other than that we mostly visited Cinque Terre and similar towns hidden away from cars and roads and only reachable by boats and trains. pretty neato.
Haaaaaaa, I want to go there someday ! :)

It's crazy how quickly I get accustomed to have a baby against me dribbling on my shoulder. I'm near to feel useless now.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14723 on: March 28, 2016, 04:45:45 PM »
WELP that was a couple days without internet but HERE I AM!! I was in italy for a week. hello.

Welcome back Haiz!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14724 on: March 28, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, Haiz : D
I don't think you missed anything forum-y, but the comic updates have been pretty intense.
ahahaha yes, I noticed. I think webcomics was the first thing I checked up on whenever a cafe had any kind of wifi...........

Haaaaaaa, I want to go there someday ! :)
you should!! but there were a lot of people, even out of season............

Welcome back Haiz!
thanks!
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14725 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:41 PM »
you should!! but there were a lot of people, even out of season............
Mmmh :-\ Good to know. I'll mentally prepare myself.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14726 on: March 28, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Haiz: glad you're back, and just in time for page 500.

Everyone who asked: the Mediaeval fair here is huge, and a lot of the folk who work there camp out on the grounds, often for several days before and after the fair as well as during it. It's held in what is a big, well treed, country town park and picnic ground for the rest of the year, in a town called Gumeracha. There's a small river roughly down the middle of the park, with a bridge, and the exhibits on the two sides of the bridge are completely different. South-western side of the river is more what you'd find in a Ren Faire, though there is some authentic stuff like the spicer and the falconer, also the tourney grounds, fighting displays and the food stalls. And an excellent bookseller. And often some other storytellers, mostly for the little kids.

Other side of the bridge is the Mediaeval Village, which is where I mostly hang out. The exhibits there are more living history stuff, highland cattle and sometimes other animals, spinners, weavers, dyers, a cooper, several smiths and lots of other craftspeople just going about their days work, in reasonably authentic costume and sometimes selling what they make. There's an archery range, and all the encampments of the various groups of fighters and crafters who come from interstate or sometimes overseas to join in. Lots of musicians and singers of many kinds, likewise dancers. Some years I do living history displays: fabric dyeing, perfuming, cider making, smithcraft, singing, helping out the other smiths or the falconer or the spicer, explaining food plants or herbs, and cookery. But the two things I do most of are running the apothecary and storytelling.

The fair runs for two full days, three if we have a Schools Day. Each night there are up to a couple of hundred people left on site after the tourists go home, and that's when we do all the stuff like telling the serious stories or singing the hundred-verse ballads that would bore or annoy a daytime audience, but delight us. Tired fighters around the campfire are good to tell stories to.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14727 on: March 28, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
Róisín: I'm very interested! The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'd die of a heat stroke, I'm not that good with hot weather (hot = over 25°C)... :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14728 on: March 28, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »
It's always in early May, so still hot days but cold nights. It may or may not rain.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14729 on: March 28, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »
It's always in early May, so still hot days but cold nights. It may or may not rain.
Sounds like A/C weather! lol

In all seriousness, dang! I wish there were such an in-depth medieval fest near where I live! Of course, demand's not that high, so I understand *WHY* there wouldn't be.

The most we've got is a Scottish festival once a year (which I do enjoy thoroughly, actually), and a Renaissance fest, which is... eh, nice enough as an excuse to leave the house, and that's about it, lol
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan