Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424369 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9150 on: August 09, 2015, 05:26:58 AM »
I was definitely thinking of Fimby throughout.

Huh?

About time you went to see it, it's not even shown in the cinemas here anymore.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #9151 on: August 09, 2015, 05:28:34 AM »
No, no, I remember speaking about the lack of vowels in czech with Haiz, and assuming finnish had took them ::)
That's a much better explanation.
(except for the very improbable possibility that the Finns are the Bond villains)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9152 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »
No, no, I remember speaking about the lack of vowels in czech with Haiz, and assuming finnish had took them ::)

I'll just leave this one word here:

Hääyöaie (= Wedding night plan). ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #9153 on: August 09, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »
I laughed way more on that than what's reasonable... :D
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9154 on: August 09, 2015, 05:42:37 AM »

What are you even doing Finland, you're drunk! That sounds like a scream of anguish from a person burning alive, a warcry from someone who couldn't think of anything to say, and a spell to summon a demon all at once!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9155 on: August 09, 2015, 05:43:49 AM »

(except for the very improbable possibility that the Finns are the Bond villains)

I just wanted to write that those poor little neglected wowels could have aslo migrated to Hungary - they had plenty of opportunities within the Habsburg Monarchy after all.

this is an existing word:

fiaiéi

meaning: [properties] of her/his sons

edit: OK, we are beaten. I bow down before the Finnish vowel-power
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9156 on: August 09, 2015, 05:50:30 AM »
I wasn't thinking about villains, only a "Oh, look, someone let a lot of vowels here ! Let's take them !" ^^

I can give you the only word I know without any vowel : crwth. (Welsh playing music, somewhere ?)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9157 on: August 09, 2015, 06:02:23 AM »
I laughed way more on that than what's reasonable... :D

Wait 'til you hear what it sounds like.

What are you even doing Finland, you're drunk! That sounds like a scream of anguish from a person burning alive, a warcry from someone who couldn't think of anything to say, and a spell to summon a demon all at once!

...duh.

Also holy wow that's one formidable mental image. Where did that even come from, I mean what kind of a thinking process do you need to master to be able to come up with something like that? :D?

this is an existing word:

fiaiéi

meaning: [properties] of her/his sons

I'm beginning to think that the Finno-Ugric tribes' way of communicating is opening the mouth and making sounds without moving the jaw. ;D

I can give you the only word I know without any vowel : crwth.

Ok, this leaves me speechless...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9158 on: August 09, 2015, 06:08:09 AM »
I can give you the only word I know without any vowel : crwth.

Cwrw is also Welsh, it's the word for beer.

Also holy wow that's one formidable mental image. Where did that even come from, I mean what kind of a thinking process do you need to master to be able to come up with something like that? :D?

Umm ... excellent question.

I'm beginning to think that the Finno-Ugric tribes' way of communicating is opening the mouth and making sounds without moving the jaw. ;D

The human equivalent of blorptrolls in other words.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #9159 on: August 09, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »
edit: OK, we are beaten. I bow down before the Finnish vowel-power
* ahem *
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

« Reply #9160 on: August 09, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »
Cwrw is also Welsh, it's the word for beer.
Excuse-me Laufey : I can give you one of the two only words I know without vowel.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #9161 on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:34 AM »
Although Welsh is kinda cheating, because the letter w actually represents a vowel in in Welsh, so this is not quite the same as Slavic words like "krk".
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #9162 on: August 09, 2015, 06:51:56 AM »
@Viola: YEEESSSSS glad to have you join us on the fury road

@Fimby: I'll be my own room service if need be

@Owl: we have no clue what happened to the sink. It's ripped clean off the wall. It's THE MISSING SINK.
Ahaha ha ha ok has any of you ever tried to brush their teeth in a public kitchen area? With someone making coffee next to you? It's a little awkward.

Also I don't know how many rooms the Ještěd tower has , maybe I'll find out later today :3c

and then mom started conversing with the coffee-making lady here, because she HAD to ask. She then got the whole differences-between-norway-and-czech spiel, and now there's a finn here too. We all agree czech is hella cheap.
Aaa I really need to figure out how to watch F.R....I think I maybe missed it at the cinemas.. :( I'll have to buy it on DVD or something...

*****THE CASE OF THE MISSING LSINK*****
Detective Haiz should be on the job u___ub
Maybe the sink was so amazing they took it home? Maybe it wanted to see the outside world? Maybe it saw a crime and is now disguised as a nun for its protection? We'll never know.....
I have to brush my teeth in the kitchen all the time, and sometimes in a govt tax stuff dept bathroom...but I guess a public kitchen might be a bit odd. Just own it!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9163 on: August 09, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »
*awkwardly stumbles into the discussion late*

Finnish is a good sounding language; in other words, it is pleasing to the ear. This has to do with its wealth of vowels, which rules out ugly consonant clusters. It was recently suggested that some vowels should be exported to Czechoslovakia, where a shortage of vowels is imminent, and that some Czech consonants should be imported to Finland. However, negotiations collapsed at an early stage. The Finns would not deal with a language that calls ice-cream 'zmrzlina,' while the Czechs in turn distrusted a language that calls it 'jaeaeteloeae' (jäätelöä).

I think Fimby is actually an artificial intelligence programmed to post wity and humerous comments on the forum to fool us all and distract us from the oncoming robot invasion. Why else the huge obsession with weaponizing everything and mysterious profile? It's got to be the only plausable explaination.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9164 on: August 09, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »
I think Fimby is actually an artificial intelligence programmed to post wity and humerous comments on the forum to fool us all and distract us from the oncoming robot invasion. Why else the huge obsession with weaponizing everything and mysterious profile? It's got to be the only plausable explaination.

*squints suspiciously in the direction of Fimby*

:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!