Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424659 times)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3045 on: January 14, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
They are also completely unnecessary.  All they need to give us is a simple list of mandatory classes, and the ability to sign up on our own.  As it is, they complicate things and cause problems.  I've never heard anyone say they liked their advisor, because all they do is make things harder.
We have it just like that, with just list of (mandatory)courses where we'll pick courses at our own pace.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3046 on: January 15, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »
We have it just like that, with just list of (mandatory)courses where we'll pick courses at our own pace.
Lucky lucky.  I've already complained here enough about what our advisors did this semester, so I won't go through it again... but it still kind of stinks. 
Hey, three day weekend over here though.  So at least there's that to look forward to.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3047 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:39 AM »
Lucky lucky.  I've already complained here enough about what our advisors did this semester, so I won't go through it again... but it still kind of stinks. 
Hey, three day weekend over here though.  So at least there's that to look forward to.

Heck yeah, I have a three day weekend too! ;D I wasn't expecting it at all because I go to a private school and didn't have school off for Columbus Day, so I'm really happy about it. Gonna try to take as full advantage of the free time as I can because I need as much of it as I can get...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3048 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
Heck yeah, I have a three day weekend too! ;D I wasn't expecting it at all because I go to a private school and didn't have school off for Columbus Day, so I'm really happy about it. Gonna try to take as full advantage of the free time as I can because I need as much of it as I can get...
Get pumped!  I'm going home too.  Gotta pick up stuff for Magfest.  :)
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3049 on: January 15, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »
Get pumped!  I'm going home too.  Gotta pick up stuff for Magfest.  :)

Yeah!! *bounces around* :D  Unfortunately, I'm too far away to go home... And too broke to go to MAGfest...I'll just be sitting in my dorm... alone... every weekend...

*slaps self*

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3050 on: January 15, 2015, 12:59:55 AM »
Yeah!! *bounces around* :D  Unfortunately, I'm too far away to go home... And too broke to go to MAGfest...I'll just be sitting in my dorm... alone... every weekend...

*slaps self*

You're in New York!  It's a heckova town!  The Bronx is up and the Battery's down!  I imagine you can find *something* to do...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3051 on: January 15, 2015, 01:12:40 AM »
You're in New York!  It's a heckova town!  The Bronx is up and the Battery's down!  I imagine you can find *something* to do...

I could argue here that there are too many things to do, but of course  :) I was actually trying to think earlier today about what places I could go to this weekend that I hadn't already been to. (and ones that are also free... so far this seems to limit me to public parks.)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3052 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:35 AM »

*slaps self*
Eh, that's most of my weekends anyway.  I used to hate driving home, because it takes a while and driving is kind of scary, but I'm pretty much used to it now.  Any reason you don't take a car with you?  The bus seems a bit impractical.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3053 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Eh, that's most of my weekends anyway.  I used to hate driving home, because it takes a while and driving is kind of scary, but I'm pretty much used to it now.  Any reason you don't take a car with you?  The bus seems a bit impractical.

One; it's really impractical to own a car in the city 'cause there's like nowhere to park, and two; I can't drive.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #3054 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
One; it's really impractical to own a car in the city 'cause there's like nowhere to park, and two; I can't drive.

three: In a city are so many vehicles public service is often faster :D
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3055 on: January 15, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
It's a trap!  I don't know what I would do without a car; I don't even know how to use public transportation.  Someone I know hopped on a bus once, for giggles, and didn't know what was going on, and he ended up two cities over by the end of the day with no idea how to get back.  So he got on another bus and ended up back on campus the next morning.  I feel like the same thing would probably happen to me.  :-\
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3056 on: January 15, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »

Yes! And there are always buses and trains going to and from New York. My mom and sister drove up to get me for winter break, and my sister wanted to go to the Met, and it took us the better part of an hour to get there whe it should only have taken 20 minutes.

It's a trap!  I don't know what I would do without a car; I don't even know how to use public transportation.  Someone I know hopped on a bus once, for giggles, and didn't know what was going on, and he ended up two cities over by the end of the day with no idea how to get back.  So he got on another bus and ended up back on campus the next morning.  I feel like the same thing would probably happen to me.  :-\

No it isn't! I use the subway at least twice a week. I don't use the local buses; when I talk about using buses, I mean the kind that you have to buy tickets for, like Greyhounds, and that only have one stop, so you can't get lost anyway.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3057 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

Okay, that is one downside about Seattle: the public transportation is awful.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3058 on: January 15, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Okay, that is one downside about Seattle: the public transportation is awful.
Not for dogs.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3059 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »
Awwww Eich, public transport is kinda useful here because parking costs SOOO MUUUUCH, and fuel and stuff. But, the public transport here has raised their fares...by ten cents for me, but that's still a lot for a student!!! D:

OMG. CHAOS IN THE LOCAL MUSEUM.
There's this reeeeeally expensive chair that they prize, and it's in the biggest gallery on a plinth. This morning, a cruise ship has docked and the city streets are bustling with camera-burdened tourists, walking out in front of traffic etc. Anywho, in the museum, some 17 year old tourist kid had the bright idea to- tell me if this is in anyway logical- get a five meter run up, leap into the air, and body-slam the couch. It broke. There was only one gallery guard on duty at that time, on the other side of the gallery, around the corner from the chair (there are walls that extend halfway into the room, blocking the view) who heard the loud footsteps and went running but didn't make it in time. Everyone is distraught. The gallery is closed. Incident forms are being filled out etc.

But, I just, HOW DID THAT KID THINK IT WAS OK TO JUMP ON A MUSEUM DISPLAY??? D:
(The gallery guard was incidentally my best friend, who needs so many hugs...aaaaaagggghhhh XD)

I think that the museum needed no-touch signage or a rope barrier around the chair, and also hire more staff (they're understaffed) to prevent these things, but I don't know..... U___U

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:20:10 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: