Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2567889 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18795 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
As Róisín said, it is indeed in the Personal Board, but a) good to see you, Juniper! and b) I can see Anne-Mari with a turtle luonto, that sounds lovely.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18796 on: May 24, 2020, 10:46:59 PM »
I've been away from the forum for a little bit, but popping my head up to say that I've been happily unaffected by the storms battering Western Australia at the moment. Some shops just down the road were blown down, and much of my suburb was without power, but (so far!) I've not run into any problems. Have you survived unscathed Keep Looking?

Hopefully the system will have lost a lot of strength by the time it reaches you Róisín!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #18797 on: May 24, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »
Thanks Wyrm! We're surviving pretty okay - the wind is pretty wild, but we haven't had any real damages - at least not as far as I've seen. Unlike the last storm, our power's stayed on, but something's happened to the tower that provides our internet (it probably got damaged by the strong winds) so we haven't had any wifi at home - been running off mobile data.

Glad you're alright, Wyrm - best of luck for the next few days as this weather continues! (although it's meant to calm down over the next few days, isn't it?)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18798 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »
Good to hear Keep Looking! The worst is supposed to be over by this evening, although the rest of the week is meant to be rainy.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18799 on: May 25, 2020, 12:20:31 AM »
Emily and Wyrm, glad to hear you are both okay. We are good so far, power still on. I do hope the storm will have abated by the time it crosses the Nullarbor Plain and hits us, because the last really serious storm we had took off part of our roof, flooded the house and destroyed the carpets and much of the ceilings and electrical wiring. And although we had insurance the contractor was pretty hopeless and we still have problems with the wiring in the hallway. Annoying. It is supposed to hit us on Tuesday, and I am a bit concerned because that is the day that husband finally has an appointment with the lymphœdema clinic, for which we have waited months. That means we have to drive down to town and back whatever the weather, damnit. But we are fairly well supplied, and have lamps, candles and outdoor solar lights, so should be okay here, and if things get really bad on Tuesday afternoon we can fort up at my friend’s place in Unley until the storms ease.

I hope you will all be okay over in the west.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18800 on: May 25, 2020, 01:19:46 AM »
Stupid weather Australia!

Good to know you guys are all right! The storm hasn’t made the news* here so I had no idea.

* at least not the major news, I have to admit my following of news is quite bad these days as there’s only so much corona and Trump one can take...
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18801 on: May 25, 2020, 03:29:50 AM »
Stupid weather Australia!

Well, it's kind of par for the course. One of our most treasured poems features the line "droughts and flooding rains" for a reason - although it's not terribly poetic when you're personally affected.

Róisín

« Reply #18802 on: May 25, 2020, 06:45:18 AM »
That is a good poem! I just wish more people knew the first verse - it makes the whole thing so poignant.

‘The love of field and coppice, of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens, is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance, brown streams, and soft dim skies:
I know, but cannot share it. My love is otherwise.’

That has so much the feel of Europe. Then with the next verse it segues into the paean to Australia’s harsh wildness, which is the part most people remember. The poem is far more powerful when complete. And yeah, we do have crazy extremes of climate here.

lumilaulu

« Reply #18803 on: May 25, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
That has so much the feel of Europe.
Unfortunately, droughts, flooding rains, and extreme heat are becoming more and more common in Europe as well. Not quite to the level of Australia, of course, but our fauna, flora, and humans are also less prepared for them. It's only May and we're already on the verge of a drought.

I hate climate change.

Róisín

« Reply #18804 on: May 26, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
It’s a real problem! We have just emerged from a years long drought, and our extremes are getting even more extreme.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18805 on: June 02, 2020, 05:52:02 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaah I spent the long weekend painting the entirety of my old room, including the ceiling (which I did standing on a chair with a roller, my neck and arm dislike me now), and then spent an entire day trying to clean the carpet as thoroughly as I could (I have a grudge against it, I had to live on it for 3 years while it was filthy because I didn't have the chance to get all my stuff out of there and clean it myself). I don't think anyone's bothered to clean it since it was put in something like 10 years ago. Took 5 hours and something like 5 passes over the entirety of it and the water [/i]still[/i] came out murky brown - but most of the stains are gone and a lot of the dirt. And then I had to move the last of my stuff to my studio and bike my bike back .... and proceeded to get lost and take twice as long to get home as usual because tired. And on top of that I got a total of 10 hours sleep during the weekend.

New girl loves it, so mission success (AND THE CARPET IS CLEAN), but oooooof all I'm going to do this week is work, eat, and sleep.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18806 on: June 02, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »
Lenny, you did a good thing for the next inhabitant, so when your neck complains remind it of that. And how lovely that you are finally moved into the new place!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18807 on: June 03, 2020, 07:02:56 AM »
Now that my body isn't going ouch every time I move I can appreciate it a lot more X3

It's very nice being completely moved into the new place! I've been putting the housewarming plants into plant pots and it's made the place so much nicer<3 So far a few weeks on none of them have died and they're doing well :3 Hoping to keep it that way and make them thrive =w=
Am notified of private messages via email.

Róisín

« Reply #18808 on: June 03, 2020, 08:13:41 AM »
Good job,Lenny, and a happy housewarming to you both. I hope your successor in the old place appreciates all your hard work!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18809 on: June 07, 2020, 03:38:24 AM »
Great stuff!  Isn't it funny how we often don't get to put in quite the same effort into a place while we still live there?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior