Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424400 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18750 on: March 28, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Greetings from the Uusimaa Exclusion.

May I suggest starting a Covid-19 thread? Especially considering the subject matter of the comic, it could well be of interest to re-read how we felt in this situation, years from now? Or possibly two threads, what’s happening and how do you feel about what’s happening? Also this may help keeping other threads relatively free of it, making it easier for people who come here to not thinking about it?

The Uusimaa Exclusion Zone seems a great name to use in fiction. It's sad that it exists in reality too... Anyway, I agree 100% with the two threads. Could be called just like that:
Covid-19: What's happening in your zone
Covid-19: What you're feeling about all this
Or something like that.

I'd also point that we all, and our mods and admins, will have to keep our eyes open to prevent disinformation. Not that I expect that from Minnions, but it may happen.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18751 on: March 28, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »
Good idea. We're all going to be talking about this a lot in the coming months and it really deserves its own place so we can do that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:50:54 PM by Gwenno »
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

Roleplay doc

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #18752 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
question for everyone: what do you think Mikkel and Sigrun would do if they lived in apartments and had to pass the time? I know what Reynir, Tuuri, Emil, Lalli, and Onni would be doing, but I haven't thought of anything fitting for our most best captain and cook (I thought of cooking for Mikkel, but then decided he does not have enough culinary skill to do that all the time ;D)
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18753 on: March 30, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »
He could always work on improving both his culinary and combat skills. Sigrun could teach him to fight, he could teach her to cook as he learned to do it better. They might learn to sing or play music together. He could work on improving her reading, and perhaps read the sagas to her, and some great adventure stories to demonstrate that there are things worth reading. She could recite her own tales, and I’m sure she knows whatever sagas survived in her part of Norway, and he could write them down - I’m sure that would become a best-seller. She might teach him hallingdans, and take the opportunity to improve her first aid skills. And I think Sigrun might take well to learning chess. Icelandic might be another thing she could learn, after all, generals probably need to speak it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18754 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:42 PM »
Sigrun strikes me as the person who would start getting a lot of pent up energy/cabin fever if she couldn't physically engage her body, so maybe she'd like improvise a chin-up bar or start lifting weights or something? No idea about Mikkel, though.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #18755 on: April 01, 2020, 12:55:12 AM »
Dunno where else to put this but is anyone else having trouble getting onto the ssss comic page? (www.sssscomic.com)
I've tried on several web browsers and on my phone, but each time it just says that the site may 'be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address'. Which is, y'know, not good, and it also implies that the problem is with the website, not with my computer or internet.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #18756 on: April 01, 2020, 02:13:07 AM »
Well, the site's up and running again, obviously whatever problem there was has been fixed
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18757 on: April 01, 2020, 02:38:17 AM »
I reckon Mikkel would spend quite a bit of time reading, anything he could get his mitts on.  He resorted to Battleship to keep Sigrun company and to keep some semblence of mental sharpness, that and the fact that there didn't look to be much to read in those cells.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18758 on: April 02, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
Hi. Some of you may remember some comments on Disqus about locations names, and how I defended Portugal as the place with more strange names.
Well, now people found a very small place in the North, with just 340 inhabitants, with a peculiar name...

(with or without the "e" at the end it reads basically the same)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18759 on: April 03, 2020, 01:16:52 AM »
Now, all we need to do is back out of Street View for 19km and find the street sign?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18760 on: April 03, 2020, 07:46:56 AM »
Now, all we need to do is back out of Street View for 19km and find the street sign?

Well, at least it would be a pleasant 19 Km ride :) It's a beautiful region, and there's a national park very close.

(If you ever come to Portugal I can even take you there, it's just about 100 Km from where I live, although I believe there would be many more interesting places to visit...)
Here's the link to the street view (road view?) next to Covide: https://goo.gl/maps/QJZnGd1KcVVW7YRp8

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18761 on: April 04, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »
I don't know where to talk about it, so maybe this is the right thread...

Have you guys heard about the ATLAS comet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2019_Y4_(ATLAS)

I read about that yesterday. It seems that some believe it will become quite visible to the naked eye in the coming weeks, as it comes closer to the sun, and it has a slightly green color due to its composition.

Now tell me if a visible green comet wasn't all we needed over our deserted cities to make the pictures perfect...
:)

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18762 on: April 04, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »
Volcanic eruptions and major earthquakes are next. I read history. All this has happened before.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #18763 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:47 PM »
'nother question for everyone: what do you think each of the characters would be if they were flowers? I know there's many gardening and plant enthusiasts and just generally awesome, creative people here, so what are your thoughts? I already have forget-me-not down for Tuuri because, I mean, what else, but I'm having trouble with the others. Thank ye in advance  :)!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18764 on: April 14, 2020, 10:28:58 PM »
Hmmm.....fascinating question. Onni would be one of those yellow green flowers of a pine, or maybe a spruce? Lalli might be sweetgrass? Emil maybe a rose? Sigrun a nettle or burdock - something tall and prickly. Reynir of course a rowan tree - what else, with its white flowers like tinytiny roses and red head of berries, and its use and symbolism of being a vessel for magic and a protection against dark things. Also ‘rowan’ is the meaning of his name. Tuuri forgetmenot or maybe violet (violet being also an old flower symbol for those who die too young). By the way, did you ever see the poster, with Unlos doing her amazing art along with my poetry, of Tuuri with a bunch of love-symbol flowers? Should be a few years back on the art thread.

Mikkel? Dunno, have to think about that one. Something farmerlike and practical, but still beautiful.....chamomile? Lemon balm? Turnip (which actually has rather pretty flowers). I know - nasturtium.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!