Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 84980 times)

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »
Anything that goes by the name Ulf-Kurt has to be amazing, if you ask me

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
Anything that goes by the name Ulf-Kurt has to be amazing, if you ask me
obviously, my taste in webcomics is impeccable
(here's another by the same creator)

edit: i found the creator of that comic on facebook and his beard is fantastic. i'm thankful this person exists
OKAY that sounds creepy but like. i used to talk to him on MSN. eight years ago. i am allowed to creep

honestly though I should not go digging in my past like this
that website is one of the reasons I'm so scared of forum participation now
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:01:11 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
honestly though I should not go digging in my past like this
that website is one of the reasons I'm so scared of forum participation now

Would it be too much to ask why?

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2015, 04:54:25 AM »
Would it be too much to ask why?
WELL
because i was 11 years old
and did and said a lot of dumb and embarassing things
(like........... trying to argue on a forum that katanas aren't really swords because they're too cool)
((and that webcomic site is chock full of my awful comments, luckily mostly on old comics nobody will read probably))
and because i'm among the first generations that grow up and realize
that the dumb things we said on the internet as 11 year olds
are gonna stay there for the entire world to see forever
and I'm 20 now
I have a lot of character development under my belt
i like to think that i'm both wiser and kinder
and better equipped to say things in the public space of the internetz
but what if I, in 2 years time
look back at all the things I wrote here
and hate myself for every single one
.......... so that's why the plan was to stay low-key and chill.
because I know I am too open and honest for my own good
and if I don't watch myself
I will have a lot to regret

alas
i am also a chatterbox deluxe and I'm close to hit the scout ranks within two weeks of registering
SO YEAH
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:45:54 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
I wouldn't worry about that too much.  If the things you have said in the past bother you too much just make another identity and move on.  I have used a lot of names over the years, Koeshi is my main one, but when I know that I am going to want to keep things seperate I make another.  It only takes a few minutes and you have a complete set of skype/e-mail/youtube/etc. under another persona.  Gods knows I am glad some of my earlier identities aren't linked to what I go under now.

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
Found a new webcomic to read, I have no clue if it is allready mentioned because boy the list is endless.
Lovers of Always Raining here and or Tripping over You might like it specially:
This is Not Fiction, a boy goes on a quest to find his favorite author, who writes under a secret name, he calls in the help of his nextdoor neighbour, who has a crush on him. Very cute style.
And I read this about a year now, but reminds me off them as well: Transfusions, human and vampire fall in love, but believe me it is not as cliché as it sounds, pretty angsty, just like ARH.
I am only concerned with finishing homework while wanting to read those instead...

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Found a new webcomic to read, I have no clue if it is allready mentioned because boy the list is endless.
Lovers of Always Raining here and or Tripping over You might like it specially:
This is Not Fiction, a boy goes on a quest to find his favorite author, who writes under a secret name, he calls in the help of his nextdoor neighbour, who has a crush on him. Very cute style.
And I read this about a year now, but reminds me off them as well: Transfusions, human and vampire fall in love, but believe me it is not as cliché as it sounds, pretty angsty, just like ARH.
I am only concerned with finishing homework while wanting to read those instead...

THIS IS NOT FICTION IS AMAZING

SO CUTE

I think I mentioned that one before, but I'm glad it's brought up again because it's awesome <3

wolfie

• Ranger
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
THIS IS NOT FICTION IS AMAZING

SO CUTE

I think I mentioned that one before, but I'm glad it's brought up again because it's awesome <3

Julian is so the cutest design I've seen in awhile, so poofy and round I am completely defenceless against that puppy behaviour, maternal instinct all over the place. <:3
Edit: The imposter writer character is a crossover with another comic 'Best Friends Forever' Do you know that one too? It is very sweet as well!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:16:50 PM by wolfie »

"Dammit Moon-Moon"

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:40 AM »
Julian is so the cutest design I've seen in awhile, so poofy and round I am completely defenceless against that puppy behaviour, maternal instinct all over the place. <:3
Edit: The imposter writer character is a crossover with another comic 'Best Friends Forever' Do you know that one too? It is very sweet as well!

Of course! BFF is one of my favourites, it's got such an amazing art style! And did you know that in BFF there's an appearance by Cyril from Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet?

wolfie

• Ranger
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
Of course! BFF is one of my favourites, it's got such an amazing art style! And did you know that in BFF there's an appearance by Cyril from Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet?

Everytime I think BFF updates it turns out to be the same update, I forgot what it looked like and I reread the entire chapter. XD Waiting is so worth the comic though, I really want to know how it ends.
I remember that one...I have to catch up on Allison and Petunia, because I didn't want to share the comic, getting personal info everywhere is something I avoid, (was it comicrocket?), I could only read the first part. I loved it though, now that it is up on Hiveworks, I'll read it again, you reminded me, thanks! :D

"Dammit Moon-Moon"

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
FYI, "Thistil Mistil Kistil" is back to updating!  (The artist took most of January-March off to publish her first printed volume and create a buffer.)

This is an excellent comic about a fantasy version of the Viking Age, *very* carefully researched, including the surprising bits (such as the interaction of Christian and Muslim worlds with Vikings and other pagan cultures, creepy funeral customs, and more), plus plentiful humor and a vivid, distinctive art style reminiscent of "The Secret of Kells."  It even features cool Icelandic runes and a dissatisfied shepherd. 

It's suitable for ages 8 and up (off-screen death; reference to curses, slavery, and the undead; some cartoon violence; and a few discreet references to adult situations).  I heartily recommend it.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
Okay so there is this one webcomic
that is a pokemon/magical girl animes crossover
it's absolutely ridiculous and I love it:
Black Adventures
the first comic is based on the Black/White games, and is completed. A comic based on XY has just begun.
The first pages are a tad confusing because of Reasons, but it gets more and more coherent and story-like after a while!!
I hardly get any of the anime references but it's still fun.
(not recommended for people who are uncomfortable with crossdressing and stuff, ehe)

hahahaha this is the worst contribution to this thread
Why. Why am I reading this beautiful piece of cross dressing Pokemon garbage? I'm going to have to read all of it now!!!! ALL OF IT
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:33 AM »
FYI, "Thistil Mistil Kistil" is back to updating!  (The artist took most of January-March off to publish her first printed volume and create a buffer.)

This is an excellent comic about a fantasy version of the Viking Age, *very* carefully researched, including the surprising bits (such as the interaction of Christian and Muslim worlds with Vikings and other pagan cultures, creepy funeral customs, and more), plus plentiful humor and a vivid, distinctive art style reminiscent of "The Secret of Kells."  It even features cool Icelandic runes and a dissatisfied shepherd. 

It's suitable for ages 8 and up (off-screen death; reference to curses, slavery, and the undead; some cartoon violence; and a few discreet references to adult situations).  I heartily recommend it.

Definitely a good description you are giving there, yet another one to add to the list it seems.

Stefanyeah

« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »

Oh no, no nononono.
I mustn't start on another webcomic! But that description sounds like it's gonna be right up my alley.

Webcomics I'm following are:
Girl Genius
I'm not too font on the artistic style and sometimes I'm confused about what's going on. Still, it's fun and I love and miss the Jägermonsters dearly.

Astral Aves
Astral Aves is a fantasy long form comic that follows the adventures of Astra The Black, Lorn Avenarius, and others, as they navigate the mysterious world around them. It's politics, adventure, and the supernatural;  oh, and crazy hair. It's sort of a coming of age story in a fantasy setting, but you'll have to read it to find out.  It began in  October of 2011 and updates Tuseday and Friday. Usually.
For the first chapters the style seems a bit weird, but as soon as colour is introduced it becomes quite cool.

Demon Street
Three months ago, a thousand doors to another world opened at once, then slammed shut again. Since then one door remains open, hidden down the closed-off sidewalk of an abandoned street behind a mountain of broken things. The only person who wants to know what's behind that mountian is a boy named Sep, and he is setting off into the unknown.
Three months ago, a girl named Raina came home to find her street, her house, her family and friends gone. She went after them.
Demon street is about the other kids who came through too, and the denizens and creatures they found there. It's about quests and monsters and magic and choices.

It's got a rather simple style, but is quite endearing. Also, cute monsters are cute.

Strays
Meela is a young, orphaned lupian (a race of people with wolf-like features) who is struggling to survive on her own. A chance encounter on less than pleasant terms teams her up with Feral, another lupian who happens to be a mute as well as one of the best mercenaries in the land, and who is not quite so welcoming of her forced company as she would like to believe. Fun, danger and plenty of humorous situations follow the two on their wayward adventures, however the seemingly peaceful world they reside in is not quite the paradise that its reputation makes it out to be. When a taboo topic and a dark secret collide, it may unravel their already tattered lives and force each of them to face the reality of the truth, requiring each to make decisions that could alter their lives forever.
Just recently started on that, marched through to the most recent page and after being amused for a few chapters, I ended up bawling my eyes out…

The Well by the House on the Hill
The Well by the House on the Hill is about a young girl named Marie who loves umbrellas very much and who was hired to babysit some children in a house.
Which is only the set-up for a little ghost story.

I also loosely follow Next Town Over, Plush and Blood, Not a Villain.

Edit
Had a look at Thistil Mistil Kistil… Read it all in one go and it's now one of my constantly open tabs.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:46:45 PM by Stefanyeah »
:germany: native
:uk: fluent
:netherlands: rusty

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
Hey, has anybody recommended Broodhollow yet? (Too lazy to check.)
Anyways, it's a phenomenally well done psychological horror, with witty characters and excellent pacing. Currently on a brief hiatus while the author gets a print drive ready, but it's one of my favorite webcomics ever.
And then there's Chainsawsuit, which is his daily... thing. I don't know what to call it, but it's absurdly funny (though occasionally inappropriate).
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.