Author Topic: YoinkTober 2024!  (Read 2593 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: YoinkTober 2024!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2024, 03:03:16 PM »
Dmeck, I have written one about the omens but it’s possible it’s not on AO3 (yet?). Inspired of you to make the hall a break room!

And The Cube was the second thing I thought about with puzzled platforms :)

Mirasol, I haven’t played 2D jumping games so I only thought of Mario Bros, but I guess there’s lots of the same elements with these.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2024, 06:30:13 PM »
Quickly popping in to squee over Mirasol's drawigns - I would play that game, fer sherr.
I won't get a chance to read the new stories until later, sorry about that.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2024, 01:50:16 PM »
Arriving back in the evening, they found a visitor at the gates. A lady was sitting comfortably on the ground: and seeing them approach nimbly jumped to he feet. “Ah, that was easy” she mumbled to herself before she bowed graciously.

“Well met, lady! What brings you to our gates? Have you come to join us? Are you a warrior?”

“Oh no, I am not a warrior although I come from such a line. I am a gardener, and a teacher. A scholar and naturalist. And of course a mother, grandmother, wife.”

“Most honorable occupations, all of these things! But why have you come here? Surely you know we mostly take heroes and warriors?”

“Do bear in mind, Old Man, that not all heroes are warriors. But I am not of your people, although I have known many of yours. I seek merely to visit your hall and taste your mead on my way to my own land.”

“This is a boon you ask, as surely you must know! Our mead is for our warriors!”

“This is well known to me, being a mead maker myself. But I also know your mead flows freely, and you would lose nothing by humoring an old woman passing by your gates on her way.”

“You are right that out mead is plentiful! But all must deserve it to drink! And you are no warrior.”

“No warrior am I, but I am a bard. Perhaps I offer you a song that your people and mine enjoy in the far south of Midgård, where the animals are so different from your North? And perhaps bring you some of their tales, and those of others of that land too?”

”A skald on my doorstep! I would not dream of driving one such away with no nourishment! Please share our halls and our mead for tonight!”

”Thank you kindly, Old One. I thus accept your invitation, and will sing for you tonight in your hall of deities.”

“Welcome to Valhalla, dear Lady!”

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »
Very nice, Jitter! And I wasn't very far in at all before I recognized the visitor.

-- I haven't had time to read all the ones linked to, let alone to write any; but I will be back.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2024, 04:11:13 PM »
To those who said the Puzzled-Platforms-drawing reminded them of Mario Bros, that´s another game I took some design-elements from for it, so that´s a fair association. :) (rest is Nine Sols and Geometry Dash haha. Nine Sols is the only one of those that´s actually a Metroidvania.)

dmeck, aww, I loved both of these stories! I see Lalli is using his magic for the real important things. And now I can´t shake the mental image of runos and runes being the ringtone of the nordic gods´ constantly ringing office-phones haha... :.D

Jitter, this is a sweet memorial for Róisìn! I´m glad she´s still a part of the stories told here.

9: Ancient Altar room

I would like you to know that what I painted the windows with are pearlescent watercolors, so they glitter. :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: They are making me very happy. They don´t match many topics, but sparkly windows absolutely, so I took my chance.

This is a view on an old temple from the game "Cult of the Lamb". Not sure what in-game-belief it once belonged to, but no one was worshipped in there for a long time. By now, someone new has taken up residency here. An NPC named Chemach who builds magic items (mostly from corpses and severed body-parts...). She´s not a god, but enjoys pretending to be one.
(And she´s a green and blue bird-person, hence the feathers)

supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

dmeck7755

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2024, 05:10:29 PM »
Jitter that was great
Spoiler: show
From the beginning I got definite Róisín vibes.  Reading further I am pretty sure, but like to check :)
Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

~ Gregory David Roberts

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2024, 07:58:28 PM »
Jitter, as soon as you said gardener I thought, Roisin!
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2024, 09:17:14 PM »
She would be just the one to march up there and show her creds. Vale, enjoy the mead.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2024, 07:11:51 AM »
10: Windmills and Grasslands

A bit of a silly one. But I was sitting in a class about kids media and we were analysing Shaun the Sheep yesterday morning (I study informational sciences, for context :.D), which is when I remembered there was an episode where the sheep use a self-built windmill as a ferris wheel. (In case the link doesn´t work for you, it´s Season 2, Episode 37 :) )

I added glittery watercolors and glow-in-the-dark-paint to the stringlights, but the glowing-effect is very small, so I didn´t take an extra-picture for that...

dmeck7755

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2024, 08:35:20 AM »
Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

~ Gregory David Roberts

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2024, 09:37:05 AM »
Windmills and grasslands
are things I can find near me
air turbines and corn
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2024, 09:39:37 AM »
Yeah, I can just imagine her reminding Odin about there being heroes other than warriors :) I’m glad you all recognized her!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2024, 02:51:24 AM »
Path by the Water (subtitled 'Yay I Did One') - I like working with brush & ink, but I do it so seldom that it never comes out right.  But, that's what the challenge is all about, eh?  So, the titular path is on the grassy bank above the beach.

(sub-subtitled 'In which wavewright proves to be wavewrong')
(don't @ me it's a darn good line)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 02:53:47 AM by wavewright62 »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2024, 05:19:30 PM »
She also proves to be a wavewright as she has just wrought waves

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2024, 05:08:12 PM »
dmeck, psst, you can add images on Ao3 like this: link
As always, I enjoyed your story! :) I wonder what that troll was actually doing... Perhaps keeping a little network alive?

midwestmutt, lovely haiku!

Wave, I like the flowiness of the lines! (Eh waverwrong or not, water is one of those things that never come out right... I think the drawing looks nice.)

Another doublepost, I have no excuse this time, I just forgot to photograph number 11... :P

11: Abnormal Formations

I was real tired on that day, so I just made a little drawing of Spideydog, as I don´t think I´ve ever drawn him before.

12: Path by the Water

Something different. (Partly due to me misplacing my awesome how-to-draw-water-and-fire-and-stuff-book...)
I got to visit Pont-Aven in Brittany, France this summer, which is a city full of painters, so that´s pretty cool. (Also full of tourists...) In its museum there´s plenty of pictures painters from all over the world painted there or painted of the place - preferably of the river Aven, and the paths along it. I took some photos of paintings with artstyles that I liked, and I used one of them as inspiration for this. Though my painting doesn´t show any specific river with a path alongside it. I used acrylic markers.

I unfortunately don´t remember who exactly painted the inspiration, but he was part of a group calling themselves the Nabis around 1888, and one of their inspirations for how they painted were traditional japanese paintings. I think it´s so cool how different generations of people from different cultures keep inspiring each other, that´s why I mention it. :)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 05:11:33 PM by Mirasol »