Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 19609 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
Róisín, correct

Alkia, thanks! Others have written about them too!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:10:26 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Here is the (Minna's) artwork for Mist: http://sssscomic.com/mainimages/art/postcards.php

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LilG

« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2020, 02:33:25 PM »
Wyrm, though I think it’s a bit ooc, it’s quite funny to think that Sigrun might have accidental moments of enlightenment like that, without actually realizing what she’s truly saying. I’d probably be horrified too if I were in Tuuri’s place, thinking that “my captain has been assimilated by an alien, Emil get the flamer!!!”

Gaelle , really like the heavy lighting contrast and night sky colors, reminds me a bit of the Tuuri drawing I finished coloring some weeks ago (mainly the top part of it), though mine didn’t have such great colors and blending as yours, since it was in crayon.

Jitter, I wonder who those two future Norwegian mother and father might be, hmmmmm....

Also, while I’ve only commented on this prompt, I really enjoyed everything that’s been posted in this thread and I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store for the following prompts.
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
Róisín, having read some of your older comments about landspirits (in that particular case in Sweden) in the Archive, I’d like to ask does my Mist make any sense in your opinion?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »
I had missed that one, or would have commented earlier! Lovely story. I like your depiction of the waterfall and its spirits. My own tiny acquaintance with Icelandic spirits was from a time spent observing plants and rocks there, so I can’t speak for what is in waterfalls, though I have heard of such. And I personally would not be inclined to poke at anything that wasn’t willingly shown to me, since that is not a magic with which I have any family connection. So Onni’s attitude makes perfect sense to me.

And given the nature of Icelandic magic, both in our world and in the Minnaverse, the spirits leading Reynir with the Wayfinder makes perfect sense. Our-world Icelandic magic uses such patterns a lot - think of them like circuits for the magic to flow in.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2020, 12:05:56 AM »
Glad everyone enjoyed PhysiSigrun :D

Lovely picture GaelleDragons, and story Jitter. It was pretty clear who was talking based on context.

Wyrm, though I think it’s a bit ooc...

Have you read any of my other fics? ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2020, 12:16:41 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 17: Window

.._.._..

Today's prompt is Window, and Alkia has given us a glimpse into each of the characters (and added to our character-flower speculations!)

Spoiler: show

Thanks very much to Alkia for today's piece, and if any of you are inspired by this prompt, feel free to share what you've made!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

LilG

« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2020, 04:46:17 AM »
Have you read any of my other fics? ;D

I can’t say that I have... or haven’t, I can’t really remember.
But, even though I’m not really into ooc stuff, I’d be interested to look through them and see what alternate takes on some of the characters you might have, if you have some sort of index or Ao3. I might even come across some that I have read.

Also, looking through your past posts, I’m glad to see another Warhammer 40k fan ;D
I have unfortunately found the absolute worst time to get into this fandom, since GW doesn’t deliver anything during this period, and the only Dark Imperium set (this being the first thing I’d like to get started with) that I could find for sale in my country goes for about $25 more than if I were to buy it from GW (and GW also doesn’t charge shipping for it). Sooo... yeah, I’ll get my chance to actually get started only when quarantine ends... and I have to do other stuff than just sitting around at home, which is kind of terrible timing.

And, regarding WH40k, do you think it’s a good idea to paint my minis with regular acrylics? I know that I need a wet palette, and to thin my paints (saw this one enough to have it drilled into my skull), and that I need to prime the mini (though I won’t be using a spray, I’ll just paint a coat of white, gray, or black with a brush), and that the tone of the thinned acrylic won’t look as good as the thinned Citadel paint tone. I’m asking this mainly because I don’t want the paint to start chipping the moment I start playing with them, and though I don’t expect it to last as long as Citadel, I’d still like to know if it will last at least a couple of months and it won’t just start falling off without doing anything to the mini at all.

LilG

« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2020, 05:06:14 AM »
Alkia, love the cute portraits! Though, I’m having a bit of trouble understanding Reynir’s text and the first word from Tuuri’s and Emil’s. Would you mind making a pure text post with what’s written for them?

Róisín

« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2020, 05:14:18 AM »
Alkia, those are pretty. And what better choice for farmer Mikkel than Trifolium repens?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2020, 06:55:34 AM »
Thank you Róisín! I moved the prompt to the outside of the cut just in case someone else had missed it too.

It seems to me the Seiður might be just a tad arrogant, at least they don’t appear to be trying to arrange any cross-traditional studies (although we don’t really know, that’s just how they come across) so I wouldn’t really be that surprised if they hadn’t even tried to communicate with the spirits. So my thinking is that Reynir and Onni’s “new magic” is derived from the combination of Icelandic magic including the staves, provided by the Norse gods, and communicating with the landspirits that have been previously overlooked by the Seiður.

I still don’t know if I’ll ever write anything further on that, but since these two scenes have appeared, maybe more will in time?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:57:23 AM by Jitter »

Róisín

« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2020, 07:31:31 AM »
I hope you do write more! Don’t know if you have read that ongoing serial story of mine, ‘Caring for a Friend’, over on Archive of Our Own, where I am Tanist? I think the most recently published chapters start the explanation of how I see Onni’s and Reynir’s fusion magic coming to be. I must admit that I heavily mined the our-world folktale of how the extant Nordic pantheon came to be, as a fusion and alliance between the Æsir and the Vanir (the ‘wise Vanes’ mentioned in the rune-poems), who brought their magic to the Æsir as part of the deal, as well as Frey and Freyja as ambassadors. .

And yeah, the Icelandic Seidur (sorry, can’t make that accent thingy work) do strike me as arrogant. They remind me a lot of the attitude of the English folklore collectors of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, who were incredibly condescending to a lot of the cultures whose lore they collected. The one that personally annoyed me was the assumption that the mass of traditional songs, music, poetry and epic tales collected from the folk of Wales, Ireland, Scotland and the Isles could not of course have been composed by such barbarians, but must have been composed by somebody civilised, and they were just parroting what they had heard......*grinds teeth*. Yes, I have worked my way through many decades of the Annals of several English folklore societies in search of stories.

Mariiii

« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »
Purple Wyrm your story is great, I loved Sigrun and Tuuri's interactions !

Gaelle your drawing is beautiful I love the colors of the sky !

Jitter your story is great too, it's always cool to see characters from the prologue  ^-^

Alkia this is lovely ! I really like the concept  ;D
Native :france:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
Alkia, are those shelves and shelves of hair products behind Emil?  ;)  Wonderful windows into everyone's lives!

So much creativity here! I love all of the art and stories.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
Alkia, thank you for the art!

My Window has flowers too!

Window
It was a great day. One of the very few nice days in the first year. No monsters had been heard or seen for months. The radio was of course long gone, so there was no way to know, but for now it was looking like they might make it after all. For whatever reason the cold seemed to have affected the monsters, since after the very cold February things had quieted down. “Honey, really I think we can open one of the windows. The plastic probably doesn’t make any difference anyways.” “Ok, I guess you are right. Light and air are also important. And it’s been quiet for a long while now.” “Yeah, let’s do this.”

Stig and Ulrika asked everybody to come over to the large window that opened on the front of the cabin. “We’ll take this one plastic sheet down now. This does not mean that you can let your guard down. And there will be NO opening of the window under ANY circumstances unless specifically agreed and a guard is posted. Is this clear?” When everyone agreed, Ulrika grasped the sheet and revealed the window. “Oo, look mom! Liverwort is blooming! It will be spring!” Mia exclaimed. Stig gave Ulrika a little half-hug. “You were right, dear. It is important. I’m sure it’s worth the risk".

Liverwort (Anemone hepatica), or “blue anemone” (blåsippa / sinivuokko in Swedish / Finnish respectively) is a harbinger of spring in the Nordics, being one of the first wildflowers to bloom. The English name is somewhat underwhelming :)