Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 16992 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2020, 05:55:50 AM »
Hahaa Gwenno, superb Reynir shenanigans!  :reynir: :reynir: :reynir: :reynir:  :reynir:

Now I must insist to see a picture of the full mural, as well as the Reynir and Hummingfluff painting!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2020, 07:09:20 AM »
Reynir! No! Not the toilet water! O_O

Great work Gwenno!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
Gwenno, those are fantastic! I love your photos, and think that you make an extremely cute and funny Reynir!  ;D

Now I must join Jitter in our demand to see your mural! I particularly like the little black "dots" with eyes  O_O

Speaking of Jitter, I think I was too scarce on showing how much I enjoyed your "Home" story. Kitty POV is very well made, and if you ever fell inclined I believe that some great stories could be told having her as the main character. It would be a challenge, no doubt, to see the world through her eyes (and other senses), but has lots of potential.

Scottishnottish, thanks! Of course you deserved to be in that shelf :)

Gaelle, I forgot to tell that your Reynir ended up being my wallpaper! :D

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #303 on: April 26, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
Thank you Grey :) The black dots in the mural are the dustball spirits from Totoro, aren't they? And there are the white forest spirits too!

I wasn't quite as safe as I could have today, I fell and skinned by knee. Didn't need any medical attention beyond hubby cleaning it, but it put me off the mood for writing for a while. Here however is today's piece.

Safety

I will take them to real safety. I can’t believe I couldn’t save anyone else! Not even mum! All the training and… tears welled in Onni’s eyes again. No. Stop it. You did just what grandmother told you to. Tuuri is safe, that is the most important thing. And Lalli. Now, make sure they stay safe.

Iceland is safe. But we don’t have any money. And I’m not sure the spirits would hear me there. Surely Mielikki wouldn’t like us moving to the area of foreign mages. And they have no forests there. No, safety or not, Iceland is out.

Keuruu. We will go to Keuruu. I’m sure I can get a job there. I’m strong! Grandma said I have a lot of potential, even though she couldn’t train me much.

“So, Mr Hotakainen. Onni, is it? And these are your young siblings?”
“Tuuri is my sister. Lalli is my cousin, he lives with us.”
“And why is that?”
“His parents are dead! I’m sure you know what happened at Toivosaari!”
“Oh yes, an unfortunate incident indeed. Please rest assured a similar attack will not be possible anymore. Well, we understand why you want to come to Keuruu after that. Unfortunately, we don’t have childcare facilities.”
“No matter, I will keep them with me!”
“Or school for such young pupils.”
“That’s ok too! Tuuri is very bright, she can go to classes for teenagers. And Lalli will go to mage training. He’s immune.”
“Hmm, your brother… cousin has the sight? And immunity? That’s interesting.”
“We are grandchildren of Ensi Hotakainen!”
“Oh, I see… we also don’t have free family housing units.”
“I am a mage too. And I will be strong, Grandma said so!”
“Well, all right. Go to the Quartermaster’s office. She’ll see what we can do.”

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »
Gwenno, the pictures are awesome! And that mural is very cool by the way ;)
Stay safe, Reynir!

Grey, I can understand how drawing your own furniture and then making it real is a very satisfying process! I can imagine the situation: "Wow, you have a very nice living room!", "Thanks, I made it." x)
And eee I'm glad my Reynir pic ended up as your wallpaper! Thank you!!

Jitter, love the story! The Hotakainen's backstory will never stop being a source of great content  :D
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
Thanks, Gaelle!

I'm afraid there may be hurdles before they can really get settled!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
That's another great story, Jitter! :) It must have been a hard path for Onni, suddenly becoming responsible for Lalli and Tuuri and dealing with so much loss (his and theirs) :(  It's no surprise that he became "a little" grumpy. Their hurdles were many, I'm sure, but those also provide, as usual, good fuel for stories. Onni's first adventures as a mage, while dealing with all that, come to mind as a great setting. And I hope your knee is fine, just more experienced now :)

Gaelle, it's really great, except for chairs, that are the furniture equivalent of drawing hands (aaargh!) :D We know how they should be, but it's damn hard to get them right!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2020, 09:05:27 PM »
Jeez, I look away for a day or two and I find out that I've written a book called "Notes" !
I'm touched ((but people have said that for years...) ok, ok, I'll see myself out...)
I am honored, Grey 😀
Amazing artwork and stories, as usual 😀😀😀

I had a bit of milestone today, I actually got to walk around a bit with very little pain.
I'm starting to see some progress acclimating to the new chemo, yes !
Maybe I'll be able to post more often now 😁
Next I just need to figure out what to put in my book...

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2020, 09:40:19 PM »
My pleasure, Crumpite! I'm happy that you liked it, and even happier to know that you are getting better! :)

Now it's time to work on that book. At least you don't have to worry about the title! ;D

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
Good story, Jitter! Poor Onni!

Also glad you are doing better, Crumpite! Good luck.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 20: Sleep

.._.._..

Well. Just as the first full week of comic pages starts, so does our chapter break filler end. Before we get started, I wanted to thank all of you guys - for all of the wonderful things you've created, whether they were submitted to me or posted down below; for all the encouragement you've given me and each other - just for being a wonderful community, really, and one that I'm really grateful to be a part of. I'm so glad I was able to facilitate this event, and I hope it's made these particularly hard times a bit brighter for you guys.

Our final prompt is Sleep, and from Count Shrekula we have a beautiful piece of music to send us all on our ways.

Spoiler: show

Click on the link to take you to our final song - I don't think you can embed music in here! (if you can, please tell me your secrets)

https://soundcloud.com/user-621540133/sleep/s-qOJXN4b65dm

(the cover image is just one of Minna's little illustrations - I felt it was appropriate)

Thanks very much to Count Shrekula for today's piece, and for the final time - if any of you are inspired by this prompt, feel free to share what you've made.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »
*applause*  Aww, thank you Shrekula, that was a pretty piece.
And thank you so much to Keep Looking for curating all of us in this massive effort!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2020, 07:46:28 AM »
My Count, that's a beautiful piece, that conveys the Sleep(y) concept so well! Congratulations!

And I loved Minna's illustration, that I don't recall seeing before, but maybe I did, and that's where my subconscious found Tuuri and Reynir playing cards that I draw...

Keep Looking, once again I must express my gratitude for your idea and for all the effort that you put in turning it to reality. You made the dreaded chapter break become the delightful chapter break, and that's quite a feat! You deserve our applause!

clap                         clap            clap                          clap                  clap                            clap                             clap                       clap
clap        clap      clap  clap      clap           clap                  clap              clap   clap           clap                              clap              clap   clap                               clap
     clap   clap         clap                 clap         clap     clap      clap       clap           clap         clap     clap         clap            clap   clap  clap   clap       clap     clap   clap
  clap  clap  clap   clap  clap   clap  clap     clap  clap    clap  clap   clap  clap   clap   clap  clap  clap     clap  clap clap clap   clap   clap  clap      clap     clap   clap clap
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap   clap clap clap   clap  clap  clap clap clap clap clap   clap clap   clap clap clap   clap clap clap    clap    clap clap clap clap   clap clap clap
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap

:sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: Thanks, Keep Looking!!!  :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle:

(now, after so much applause, we will be waiting for the encore... ;D  )

Mariiii

« Reply #313 on: April 27, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
Shrekula this is a beautiful song ! I found it very relaxing  ^-^

Gwenno I loved seeing Reynir at home ! What did he tried to cook ?

Thank you again Keep Looking for the organisation of this beautiful event !!  <3

Edit : Here is the little contribution I made for this prompt, I hope you like it !

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:59:14 AM by Mariiii »
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #314 on: April 27, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
Count, the music was beautiful! I also don't recall seeing the picture before!

Mariiii, sweet sleepy kitty!

The other team kitty sometimes has trouble sleeping too. No wonder with his history! So, to conclude my series, I give you hurdles.

Sleep

“I’m sorry, Onni. But this is best for everyone.”
“No! I will keep him here! We are doing fine!”
“It’s admirable that you want to care for him. But you are only 17. Your unit has only two rooms. And with his… issues…”
“He has no issues with us! We are fine!”
Lalli was under the table, hood and hands over ears, wailing.
“We can see he’s not fine. And hear!”
“That’s because you are scaring him. Let us be!”
“You are not his parent. This is not your decision. Lalli will move in with the nurses.”
“No! Onniii!! Help!” Lalli was kicking and scratching the medic carrying him. Tuuri was clinging on to Onni and crying. Onni was trying to remain calm, but he was just as shaken as the little ones.

“Onni, you have to come with me. It’s your cousin.”
“Lalli! Is he hurt?”
“He’s… ok. Come and see.”
Lalli was curled into a ball in the farthest corner of the small room, eyes closed, ears covered, humming tunelessly.
“He’s been like that since yesterday. Completely unresponsive. He won’t sleep or eat.”
“Well, why do…” Upon hearing Onni’s voice, Lalli shot from his corner and grabbed Onni’s shirt with both hands.
“Onni! Take me home, Onni! Please! I’m scared here!”
“Hmm… we may have an error of judgment here. He’s not completely unresponsive after all.”
“I told you we don’t have issues. Let us go home now!”
“Maybe we could try that. If you insist.”
“I insist! Come, Lalli.” Lalli let go of Onni’s shirt, took his hand and followed him calmly.

That night all three Hotakainen’s crawled into their shared bed. Onni hugged Tuuri and Lalli to him. Tuuri was smiling in her sleep. “Onni keeps voices away. Now I can sleep” Lalli muttered quietly.

Keep looking, just as everyone has said already: thank you so much! This has been such a lovely effort, and very important at least for me personally in the isolation and worry we all must go through. The break would have been unpleasant in this situation, but now it's been a delight.

Thank you everyone for your contributions! I am proud of us! So many different media too, prose, poetry, digital art, manual art, photographs, music, crafts! Wonderful!

I will not copy Grey's clapping here but I will add that the applause is for Keep looking but also all of us! (On my behalf that is, but I'm guessing Grey will concur)