Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization  (Read 39808 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2021, 05:24:59 AM »
And here's my first entry for "Finnish forest"

;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:30:08 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2021, 06:02:18 AM »
I really like where you guys are going with all this! The main suggestion I have is that maybe we could change some of the 'finnish forest' prompts to just 'forest' in general if you aren't gonna make them more specific - it'd allow for more flexibility and variety in what people make - only a few of us have experiences with finnish forests, but many of us have experiences with other types of forest and it might be cool to see what comes out of that.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2021, 06:13:23 AM »
I really like where you guys are going with all this! The main suggestion I have is that maybe we could change some of the 'finnish forest' prompts to just 'forest' in general if you aren't gonna make them more specific - it'd allow for more flexibility and variety in what people make - only a few of us have experiences with finnish forests, but many of us have experiences with other types of forest and it might be cool to see what comes out of that.
Agreed! I actually thought about that when writing the list. I may even do a "team in the Amazon rainforest" pic if I have the time. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2021, 07:00:42 AM »
I probably won’t write much about the beasts, but I’d like to flesh out the "finnish forest" prompts a bit more. I don’t know whether listing tree species is too specific, but there is a lot of symbolism around trees. The some species that come to my mind are oaks, linden (tilia), birch, fir and spruce. There seems to be some association Oak-Thor, Linden-Freya for example.
Seconding "woodland sounds". Not being tied specifically to finnish forests, but allowing other kinds of forests as well (an underwater forest of seaweed  :P) seems like a good idea to me.
Some wild associations/keywords about forests:
- brook
- deer/game
- hunting (the wild hunt?)
- wood industry (felling trees, transporting trees, timber rafting, “I’m a lumberjack, but I’m ok...”)
- ant’s nest
- lehto (but maybe that was already a topic in the previous chapter break? dunno, I wasn’t here then)
- birds (songbirds, birds of prey, specific species/symbols?)
- leaves & blossoms
- moss
- the smell of the forest, how there may be different regions in the forest that smell different
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2021, 08:34:12 AM »
I like where the forest-prompts are going! Tree-symbolism sounds great, it´s been way too long since the last time I embarassed myself with questionable plant-knowledge on this forum. :'D So please do put prompts like these in!

To the only-beasts-idea that has also been floating around. I´ve been thinking that might end up a bit too similar to the grosslings-challenge we had for Yoinktober, as since then not that many more beasts showed up. But in combination with the forest-promts, it may be just the mixture we need. :)

But you are right, the forest theme is a lot more open. Also it seems to me that the beast-related works are less prone to fluff, which has been popular in the previous breaks :)

Though we do have to mention, in the previous chapter break fillers a lot of Minnions managed to interpret at first glance negative/sad prompts in a way they were funny or fluff, as well as the other way round. So not-obviously-fluff-promts don´t have to be a deal-breaker.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:53:58 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
Keep Looking: I would be curious to see what you did with the forests of your part of the world, after all, your state has the Giant Tingle Tree, the oldest Eucalypt in the world, karri, baobab and underground orchids.....and even more strangeness.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2021, 04:10:11 PM »
Ok, so we seem to be reaching a thing! I agree that the forests don’t need to be restricted to Finnish forests, and shouldn’t be too specific to here, but maybe some can? have combined a suggestion, please still consider this another draft!

Let’s also keep in mind that interpretation is very open with these things so the prompt is more of a guideline than a rule :)

SIGNUPS NOW OPEN
Prompts for the anticipated March 2021 Chapter Break Filler

Choose your prompt and either mention below or PM Jitter. You will receive a confirmation of your prompt, and later when we know when the break starts, a confirmation of your date

We don’t know whether we’ll get ample warning prior to the break starts, so anyone taking an early prompt please start working soon as it may be impossible to provide you with a reminder. As far as possible, you will receive a reminder one week and again three days before your date.

Please send your work to Wavewright62 in good time, preferably a couple of days prior to your date. You should aim to finish at least two days before. Any status updates you wish to make should go to thegreyarea, who will remind you (please also respond when he reminds). If you realize you won’t be able to finish in time, please inform Jitter, Wavewright62 and thegreyarea as soon as possible. Anyone willing to do pinch hitting also let me know! I can take one (although we rarely need several, or even one).

The works can be any format that can be delivered by forum. So far we have had digital and traditional art, stories, poetry, photography, photos of crafts such as baked goods and cosplay, music and multimedia. At least. So, your creativity is the only limit, and as we know that’s not really a limit :) For stories I think we have set a minimum length of 300 words. Oh and one more thing, like everything on the open Forum, make sure your work is suitable for teen audiences / PG-13!

PROMPTS

New alternatives added to still unclaimed prompts!

Please refer to the Bear Beast Registry for the odd-numbered prompts http://www.sssscomic.com/comic2.php?page=351 The “how to catch” part is voluntary.

1. (how to catch) Nalle
2.Woodland sounds
3. (how to catch) Möntti
4. Fir or pine trees
5. (how to catch) Lalli
6. Bird(s)
7. (how to catch) Metsänukko
8. Moss and/or lichen
9. (how to catch) Kusiaistennuolija OR seedlings/saplings
10. Brook, pond or spring[s
11. (how to catch) Hallavanahka OR primeval
12. Rowan or birch
13. (how to catch) Pöppö OR scurrying
14. Hilly landscape
15. (how to catch) Karvaturri
16. Oak or lime (tilia) trees
17. The bear family OR dappled sunlinght
18. Leaves and blossoms
19. (how to catch) OC bear beast OR woodland smells
20. Night in the forest
21. Bear vs moose (http://www.sssscomic.com/comic2.php?page=89)
22. Hunting and/or game
23. Outside the Known World
24. Mushrooms

In addition to the “official” contribution you (may) sign up for, the prompts are open for daily works by anyone. You are welcome to post any dailies you wish, whether you have signed for a bigger work or not. Daily works can be of any length.

Did I leave something out? Do you have questions? Please ask and you will be answered!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:55:25 AM by wavewright62 »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2021, 06:28:57 PM »
Looks excellent to me! And 18 will probably be more than enough. :)

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »
Good job, you guys! That was very productive!  XoX
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2021, 08:40:21 AM »
Annuil, we’ve done this before :) And this is a great great community!

I’ll wait until tomorrow (Friday 26th) Finnish time for any comments, but after that I think we are ready to open for signups! I’m fairly sure we have good time for preparation, so the first prompts should be ok too. I can handle the signup process, who could take the posting of works?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
Annuil, we’ve done this before :) And this is a great great community!

I’ll wait until tomorrow (Friday 26th) Finnish time for any comments, but after that I think we are ready to open for signups! I’m fairly sure we have good time for preparation, so the first prompts should be ok too. I can handle the signup process, who could take the posting of works?

I can post the works! I'm busy, but I pretty consistently have time each day to do it, and I've done it before.

We also need to think about reminders - I think Grey handled those last time? And which one of us the works will be sent to.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »
This sounds like great fun! You guys have done all the heavy lifting coming up with the prompt list, which is really great. Count me in.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
I like these promts! Let´s see whether I can think of something for one of them...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2021, 07:23:10 PM »
I can post the works! I'm busy, but I pretty consistently have time each day to do it, and I've done it before.

We also need to think about reminders - I think Grey handled those last time? And which one of us the works will be sent to.
Always happy to help  :reynir:, my dear friend! Count me in!

I think the works are usualy sent to the person that will post them... :)

Anyway it's wonderful how fast we did this!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2021, 04:34:23 AM »
Okie dokie let’s open! I’ll modify the post with the prompt list into an invitation for signups. @Keep Looking  could you please edit the first post to mention where the current prompts are!