Author Topic: SSSS Monopoly game  (Read 15833 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: SSSS Monopoly game
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
I agree with the Dream World side, gotta have lots of chances to get in trouble! Btw I think I’ll change the Pastor Anne into the Dream World deck and then Scavenging and Fate will both have one card (rune) that will banish one ghost.

I’m also slower with this (and the writing!) than I’d like to be. Schools are closed as of today, and I’ll be working on my actual work by event shift as the kids need support with their home study. Although today went much better than I feared! I suppose the novelty will wear off, but at least this gives me courage - we can do it!

Ps you made it to the Safe Zone! I posted it on the Promotion Celebrations thread.
Your idea sounds good. :)

Don't worry about our delivery time. I know that, considering our generous payment, we should be, but don't. I'm sure all Minnions prefer that we take all the time we need to make our game correspond to the comic quality level, and they know that doing it is a challenge!
(speaking of games I just noticed that we have a pacman emoji!  :V ..... )

Do we have a Promotion Celebrations Thread?!
* go check and post *
Yes we have! Thank you!!!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2020, 06:15:59 PM »
Ooh! You know what  :V... is eating?

Spoiler: show
Particle beans
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Pff, get overwhelmed at work and lose your internet for a couple days, and you miss all the fun!

I love everything I'm seeing here - the Dalsnes feast hall is particularly good, and Saimaa fishing. It's all good. Not good, great! Most best!

Looking forward to having some more time to devote to this, if there's anything I can contribute. Our last two weeks of semester are going online, and once I get everything posted, I'll have a bit more slack will collapse from exhaustion and sleep for a week. Then I can chip in!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »

Particle beans

Ah... and now I discover where those beans appeared. So tired I can't even read a discussion thread properly.  ::)

Edit, mere moments later - and now I find that you already solved the mystery over on the Disqus thread and this is not the origin of those darn beans! So tired I... should just go to bed, perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:41:01 PM by Vulpes »
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2020, 07:53:37 PM »

Particle beans

Believe me, I knew that it was that before hitting the spoiler! I'll be known as "The Particle Beans Guy"! :D

EDIT: And I found a picture of my alter ego, Dr Greynz Areanshmirtz, doing some tests on something that may be related with particle beans!

Maybe I should change my avatar...

(you have heard of Phineas and Ferb, right?)

I love everything I'm seeing here - the Dalsnes feast hall is particularly good, and Saimaa fishing. It's all good. Not good, great! Most best!

Looking forward to having some more time to devote to this, if there's anything I can contribute. Our last two weeks of semester are going online, and once I get everything posted, I'll have a bit more slack will collapse from exhaustion and sleep for a week. Then I can chip in!

Thanks! We are trying our most best! We will be counting with you then. For some reason our plans now include a lot of time at home...

BTW wouldn't it be great if we had this really working online as a MMOMG (Minnionly Multiplayer Online Monopoly-like Game)? It seems that we would have lots of possible players...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:16:02 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
I do believe you!

I currently have a lot less time available, because with the kids studying at home I can’t seem to get much done during the day and thus spend the evening working. I don’t know if it’s their presence (they have been miraculously quiet so far*!) or just that I’m on edge with the virus. I hope it will get better. I’m exhausted.

* it’s only been two days so this might well change...

:V🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
I currently have a lot less time available, because with the kids studying at home I can’t seem to get much done during the day and thus spend the evening working. I don’t know if it’s their presence (they have been miraculously quiet so far*!) or just that I’m on edge with the virus. I hope it will get better. I’m exhausted.

* it’s only been two days so this might well change...
These have been hard days for all of us. Everybody is tired and worried, and it's hard to concentrate on work. But I'm sure that we will adapt to this new situation.

Curiously, or not, for me it's much more easy to make our SSSS things. It's a way to escape from reality, of course, but as long as we manage to balance this escape with our responsibilities it seems to be a nice choice :)

But no worries, we must do this for pleasure, and not as a obligation. We have plenty of those... BTW those beans are going bananas!

I've spent some time with the board, to make a proper version that included our recent work.
It has almost no image, but it surely will be useful to develop the game, imagine rules, etc...
I positioned the settlements on each side/country considering their geographic position (well, with some artistic licence) as well as the transport companies and the remaining cards.
I also remade the stave, with a more accurate drawing and added colors to each country.
In one corner I put the stave with houses and an hotel, so you can see the size, and also included a graphic scale.
And I  remade the background, including the corners and weathered the central "diamond flags" logo.
Bellow its a series of small images that respect the 700 pix wide rule, one is the whole board, but it's hard to read because it's too miniaturized... After that i made separate images for each side for a better visualization.
The big version (26 MB) is on our dropbox, while the really big version (86 MB, 20000x16800 pix) is on my computer. If anyone want to see tell me.
I hope all this is useful. See you soon, and remember, the Butter is with us! (and the beans too) :)

EDIT: This is the link to a decent resolution version that is around 10 Mb : https://i.postimg.cc/MT29P4Z8/Board-1-2-C-light-small.jpg

Board:

Side 1, Iceland

Side 2, Sweden

Side 3, Denmark (with the Kastrupp option... All cities are together in one side because Bornholm is really small)

Side 4, Norway

Side 5, Finland

Side 6, Dream World (and the scale)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:18:41 AM by thegreyarea »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2020, 12:13:44 PM »
Wow! It’s great! Really a work of art!

I like the way you introduced the flag colors to the staves for propertie. However (there is always however...) in Monopoly you have to hold the entire group of properties (2 or 3, depending) in order to be allowed to build there. If we intend to hold to this, I think each country should be divided into two such groups, because anybody getting to collect all properties in one country is not likely to happen. Visually this perhaps could be done by using two different colors of the stave markings? So that they would be “Finland dark” and “Finland light” and so on?

Despite having gobbled the power bananas I’m still kinda shattered. My company has not had any problems with business and it’s looking good for the time being (unless we get a curfew because the elderly are refusing to stay home!) but as I’m a personnel representative I’m also very worried about if we lose work and can’t pay our people. This on top of the health concerns. So I was talking with my boss today and he asked if I have something to help me relax and I told him I’m into this comic and the creative community around it. We were rather amused when I mentioned it’s about a post-pandemic-apocalypse. Also he’s been suffering from issues related to Nordic cooperation 😆 I sent him the link, we’ll see if I manage make him a Minnion.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
Wow! It’s great! Really a work of art!

I like the way you introduced the flag colors to the staves for propertie. However (there is always however...) ... Visually this perhaps could be done by using two different colors of the stave markings? So that they would be “Finland dark” and “Finland light” and so on?

Despite having gobbled the power bananas I’m still kinda shattered. My company has not had any problems with business and it’s looking good for the time being (unless we get a curfew because the elderly are refusing to stay home!) but as I’m a personnel representative I’m also very worried about if we lose work and can’t pay our people. This on top of the health concerns. So I was talking with my boss today and he asked if I have something to help me relax and I told him I’m into this comic and the creative community around it. We were rather amused when I mentioned it’s about a post-pandemic-apocalypse. Also he’s been suffering from issues related to Nordic cooperation :) I sent him the link, we’ll see if I manage make him a Minnion.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with it too! And looking forward to finish all the locations and cards and put it all on the board.
But to do that I'd like to have your (and Wyrm's) OK on the positions of things. Of course we can adjust things later, but the sooner we arrive at a final (experience thought me to never use that word) a stable layout the better.
And I'm sure that we would love to hear from everybody else, that are welcomed in suggestions and collaboration.

As for that differentiation... I had it noted, and had made the groups already, but at some point while developing the drawing I simply forgot! :( But your suggestion is excellent. I'll do that on a sample and post here.

I'm glad to hear that things are going on at your side. All this is undoubtedly stressful. On a work level I'm not very worried in the short term. We have projects to finish. But after that I don't see many people willing to invest, at least for the upcoming months. Luckily we are small, so no big payment list. We may have to go on with our savings for some time, but will manage (or so I, the optimist guy, hope). My bigger worries now are on people I love that are on the front line (doctors, nurses, etc...) working very hard every day to limit this crisis, and there's so very little that I can do to help them... But you do what you can, right?

And so you are out hunting for new minnions! Very good! :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
I think the placing is good although only time will tell if the proportion of properties to other spaces is good. We don’t have the rent rules yet either.

I have forgotten what Kastrup will be?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:28 PM »
I think the placing is good although only time will tell if the proportion of properties to other spaces is good. We don’t have the rent rules yet either.

I have forgotten what Kastrup will be?
Yes, this is a new game and we will have to balance a lot of things, including rules and values.

Speaking of rules, I've been thinking that we should try to keep them closer to Monopoly where we can, although that shouldn't stop us to introduce new cards, rules, etc... But it would be nice that anyone that knows Monopoly could feel that regarding that set of rules they are fine, and they just have to learn the new ones. But I'm open to different views on that.
After we have the first draft it would be important to have some experienced Monopoly gamers opinion.

Kastrup was, in my first idea (IIRC), a place like the others, but one where you couldn't build a fortification. it was a way to take the players to the Silent World (like Kastellet). I think that I also mentioned that you could have to roll the dice every time you stepped in Kastrup, and if you had bad luck a Troll would attack you (using the standard Troll Battle Rules - the name sounds good!). Do you think that makes sense?

Maybe, if the story goes there and it becomes relevant, we will be tempted to switch one Finnish Town for Joensuu, with a similar rule...  :)

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
Hi!

I finished the cards/companies! Here's the Stage Coach and the Spirit Boat. But I need your help. I have two Spirit Boat options and can't decide which is the most best. Please tell me which you like most.

I also made the Iceland side with all the markers and with two different colours for the staves, to allow property grouping. What do you think? Are they different enough?

Now I just have to prepare the remaining corner images and put it all together!!!

And here's the link to the Iceland corner: https://i.postimg.cc/8cGMp12Z/board-Iceland-V2.jpg
And a small preview:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
The first spirit boat (with just the lantern) is the most bestest of all! The other one is good too, but the first one is perfect. It’s beautiful, and mysterious, and and and. Ilove it!

I also think the grouping of properties is clear enough. And everything about the example side is great!

I haven’t done anything about the cards all week :( I was really coping somewhat badly with the situation, but I think I’m better now. I have been doing some writing at least!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
The first spirit boat (with just the lantern) is the most bestest of all! The other one is good too, but the first one is perfect. It’s beautiful, and mysterious, and and and. Ilove it!

I also think the grouping of properties is clear enough. And everything about the example side is great!

I haven’t done anything about the cards all week :( I was really coping somewhat badly with the situation, but I think I’m better now. I have been doing some writing at least!

Considering your enthusiasm on the first Spirit Boat I think that the issue is settled. :)

And thanks! I'll move to the remaining corners. I can't wait to see the whole board ready! (I'm quite proud of it :) )

But it would be nice to have values for each thing (of course to be evaluated). Do you have any idea or I can try to make up something? (any experienced player out there want to give it a try? The whole board (without the smaller images) is already posted, but here is the link:https://i.postimg.cc/MT29P4Z8/Board-1-2-C-light-small.jpg )

Last, but not (at all) least, I'm very happy to see that you are in a better mood! :) :) :)

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
Hello!
We all have been involved in a lot of other things lately, so our progress is slooow. I'm included in the lot, of course. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've prepared a small version of our board that fits in an A4 sheet. It has a different layout, but everything is there, except the art. (for now, because it would demand many adaptations). I already printed it :)
The initial idea was to make a home-printable version so we can test and set the values for the cards, and that's still the main idea.
However it occurred to me that we could make a playable version that anyone with an A4 colour printer could make at home. It would be a lot easier (particularly on those lock down times) and cheaper.