Author Topic: AI assisted art  (Read 17957 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: AI assisted art
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2023, 04:50:01 AM »
it feels like a lot of "yolo let's build a thing and never think or dream or care about social or legal consequences/responsibilities" things are seeing consequences a bit (and not enough by far) lately.
Yeah, who would ever want to busy himself with 'em scary German compound nouns, like how they extended "IT" into the subfield of "Technikfolgenabschätzung". [/sarcasm]

The three laws of robotics make sense you know.
Ugh, not quite! The Three Laws were meant to be a believable attempt at humanity's robot regulation in stories, and certainly mirror some baselines of human ethics, but exposing/exploiting the incompleteness and/or lack of definition in the stories was pretty much the point of having them spelled out so clearly in the first place.

Besides, in this particular sub-context, they probably wouldn't help at all, anyway. I'm pretty sure that none of the AIs we have so far is even remotely able to understand how, e.g., a child abuse victim would feel hurt by the mere existence of an entirely fictitious picture showing same, hence it wouldn't see the generation of such a picture as violating the First Law.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2023, 06:55:03 AM »
JoB, I know that the  three laws don’t work 100 % even assuming the robot has capability to determine what causes harm to humans, but in any case there should be some attempt to cause no harm. Of course there will never be any universal restrictions because much of the work is done specifically to create killing machines “defense technology” which is a scary thought.

Current development of self-driving cars gives a glimpse into the issue. The harm is fairly straightforward, the car either hits something or not, and yet the determination of the algorithms and the related legal consequences is anything but straightforward.

And yeah I agree that the current AIs are very very far from being able to determine what would be considered harm. If an artificial intelligence were so advanced that it could be considered to actually understand (rated than calculate) morality of such an issue, it probably should be consIdered sentient and therefore a legal person.

I couldn’t understand the rest of my own comment from earlier, I guess I was trying to say something about the tech companies failing to do their homework, or any homework at all.

Getting a bit far from the intended purpose of the topic, perhaps we should take this to the general board?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2023, 09:29:49 AM »
Heh. The social media team of the Freiburg PD had a try, asking for a symbol "photo" for their mounted squad, "top-class appearance, nice background, sympathetic and citizen-friendly, a memorable picture".

They had enough snark to post the result ... ;D

(Has "proper script" been mentioned as a weak point of AI images? 'Cause that "POLIZEI" on the saddle pad could use an upgrade or a dozen ...)

(Edit: PD, not PO.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:01:20 AM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2023, 05:37:38 PM »
Well, it’s memorable all right. Perhaps a certain horse-like entity we all know and love has finally gotten a decent job?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2023, 02:18:56 AM »
Perhaps a certain horse-like entity we all know and love has finally gotten a decent job?
Well, if you count the rider's three legs (one supposedly hidden behind the horse, and the visible two assembled into one) as well and do not discount for it being a lowrider¹, you do get eight legs in total ...

¹ Quote from the comments: "Optimized for cornering ability, obviously!" Though the headgear earned more comments, from "come sun or rain" to Napoleon Bonaparte to Dark Helmet.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2023, 12:25:21 PM »
If anyone wants to try AI-generated art at home, here is a site with good instructions on installing it.  The resulting images are quite good, though it fails on my usual test prompt ("ferret sleeping on red pillow") and fails dramatically on "anomalocaris".  Though all the AI art generators I've tried fail on "anomalocaris", so that's no surprise.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2023, 08:40:13 AM »
If anyone wants to try AI-generated art at home, here is a site with good instructions on installing it.  The resulting images are quite good, though it fails on my usual test prompt ("ferret sleeping on red pillow") and fails dramatically on "anomalocaris".  Though all the AI art generators I've tried fail on "anomalocaris", so that's no surprise.

Thank you.

Job, Some how I think the boots on the horse are kinda funny/cute
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JoB

« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2023, 05:33:08 AM »
I'm under the impression that artists' concerns about AIs see more and more public exposure - possibly because of the Hollywood strikes bringing up the keyword?

(There seem to be what I'd call worse news about how AIs could impact our societies, though ... :( )

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »
Rather than using the AI to make "art", I tried out making the AI adopt a persona.  Here are some results (Mikkel is the AI, Sigrun is me):

Mikkel
What do you need, Sigrun?

Sigrun
Emil and I have a great new plan.

Mikkel
Ah. My favorite kind of plan. The ones with high casualty rates. What is it this time?

Sigrun
We're going to check out the ruin over here. There probably aren't a lot of trolls inside. Hardly any, really.

Mikkel
Ah. Well, I suppose there's nothing wrong with giving it a shot, then. Just remember what we say - "Luck favors the prepared." And by that, we mean heavily armed and cynical.

JoB

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2023, 05:12:30 AM »
*siiiiighh* Guess it was inevitable that that'd happen, but it's bleak news anyway ...

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2024, 05:49:18 AM »
Heh. The social media team of the Freiburg PD had a try, asking for a symbol "photo" for their mounted squad, "top-class appearance, nice background, sympathetic and citizen-friendly, a memorable picture".
They had enough snark to post the result ... ;D
(Edit: PD, not PO.)

"A disgruntled policemen wearing strange headgear and an unusually placid horse were thinking about how they had been persuaded to take part in a teleportation experiment."
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2024, 10:30:47 AM »
You might find these programs interesting.

Glaze alters the AI's view of the artist's style.  If an AI art generator model is trained on Glazed works, an attempt to generate a work "in the style of X" will produce a distorted style.  Apparently, Glaze likes to produce Van Gogh's style, so I suppose as Glaze becomes popular, all art "in the style of X" will look like a really bad imitation of Van Gogh.  Glaze is available for download, or there is a free WebGlaze you can use.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/17/glaze-generative-ai-art-style-mimicry-protection/

Nightshade alters what the AI "sees" in an image, so that a human might see a dog, while the AI would see a cat.  If a model is trained on works treated with Nightshade, the model will be "poisoned" so that any image related to those works will be distorted.  The only way the creator of the model can avoid this poisoning is either to write a program to detect it and discard or fix those images, or to use properly licensed images that aren't poisoned.  The first solution, writing a program, is a blatant attempt to use copyrighted works against the will of the artists, so the creator of the model may hesitate or, if not, be found out as a cheater and thief.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/01/26/nightshade-the-tool-that-poisons-data-gives-artists-a-fighting-chance-against-ai/

The creators of Glaze and Nightshade suggest using Nightshade first, then Glaze, on your works before putting them on the Internet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:34:03 AM by lwise »

dmeck7755

« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2024, 08:20:01 AM »
Apparently some AI security can be bypassed with a little Gaelic

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/31/gpt4_gaelic_safety/
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2024, 09:17:38 AM »
I haven't tried to jailbreak the AIs, but I've found you can lead them to discussions that they would otherwise reject.  I've had some chats with Claude.ai about my objections to certain murder mysteries.  If I just say, "Is it really plausible that this criminal plan would work?", Claude will say it's not allowed to propose criminal actions.  But if I talk about the characters and the plot, I can lead it back to the criminal plan, and it will discuss the plan and the problems with it.

JoB

« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2024, 10:10:11 AM »
I haven't tried to jailbreak the AIs, but I've found you can lead them to discussions that they would otherwise reject.  I've had some chats with Claude.ai about my objections to certain murder mysteries.  If I just say, "Is it really plausible that this criminal plan would work?", Claude will say it's not allowed to propose criminal actions.  But if I talk about the characters and the plot, I can lead it back to the criminal plan, and it will discuss the plan and the problems with it.
Yeah, it seems that for now, the relevant form of "hacking" around AIs is humans hacking the AI - user vs. owner, non-user vs. corporate user (repeatedly), non-user vs. users, users vs. the law (repeatedly), users vs. users (repeatedly), trainers vs. users (repeatedly), users vs. "the system" (there's actually gamification for that), you name it.

Of course, in the long run, the thing we should be worried about is the AIs hacking us - which, in the meantime, has progessed from crude direct adversarial action to covertly breaking laws to self-serving propaganda already ...