Author Topic: Art-Telephone: Someone interested in playing?  (Read 3069 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Art-Telephone: Someone interested in playing?
« on: September 19, 2021, 07:54:32 AM »
Hey everyone! :))
With all those writing-challenges floating around lately we´re all enjoying so much, I´d like to add an art-challenge into the mix for those interested:

ART-TELEPHONE!

You have possibly played silent post or telephone before, that game where one person whispers a sentence into the next person´s ear, who has to whisper what they heard to the next and so on and so on until the result is completely independent from whatever it was originally. It´s that, BUT WITH ART!
I saw a Youtuber do that the other day and it seemed really fun, so if someone´s interested in playing, let me know!

How it works: :sparkle:

There will be a host, who provides the original picture (Nothing too complicated. Maybe 1-2 characters in some pose with no background). All other participants are players.

Host:
Draws the original picture, DMs it to player 1.

Player 1:
Gets to see the host´s picture for two minutes, then has to redraw it from memory. Once they´re done, they DM it to Player 2 as well as back to the host.

Player 2:
Only gets to see Player 1´s picture, again for two minutes, redraws it from memory and DMs it to Player 3 and back to the host.

This continues until all participants in the round have played (Maybe cap it at a maximum of 10 for the first round, just to make organization easier.), which is when the host will release every resulting picture into the thread for everyone to witness the original picture turn into something completely different. Now a new round can start, ideally with a different host, as the host themselves doesn´t get to play.
I would volunteer to be the first host if someone´s interested in playing.

Spoiler: Some additional info: • show

> The host´s picture should show original or not super widely-known characters if possible. Otherwise too many people might be able to recognize them and draw what they know about this character rather than what they remember from the picture they got.

> Try to keep all the pictures so you can finish them within a week at maximum. The order of players will be pre-determined, so when it´s your turn and you know you won´t have time for the entire next week to come, post into this thread and ask to switch places with somebody.

> We can´t yet have self-destruction timers on DM´s, so we have to ensure in a different way that you can only look at your picture for 2min. :'D To the senders, put your picture under a spoiler please. That way the receivers can stop the time they have to look at it and close the spoiler afterwards

> Please don´t deliberately change anything about the picture. If you don´t remember how something looked like, it´s fine, just fill in the gaps with what you think it might have been. But if you do remember an aspect, draw it how you remember it.

> Also: Please don´t cheat and look at it for longer than you should! It would take the fun out of the game completely, as the best part is how much the original motive changes. But I believe I don´t need to tell you that.

> Also also: of course keep your drawing according to forum-rules! As the game is hosted on a regular board, please don´t draw anything that would normally go onto the mature board!

But now to get into the requirements: :sparkle:

Who can play?
Everyone who wants. You don´t need to be a super-good artist. It´s only about getting the details of what you think you saw into somewhat the right place. There is always room for interpretation.

What medium to use?
Whatever you like. Go digital, traditional, 2D, 3D, use markers or paints or pencils or whatever. Heck, you can do a mosaic if you feel like it. Just stay in the time-limit, and make sure it´s a medium with which you can color your picture.

What about details and artstyle?
Feel free to draw in your own artstyle rather than the one you got. Realistic or stylized doesn´t matter. As long as you keep the details you think you saw, it´s irrelevant how they look.

If you have suggestions for additional rules/changes in rules, feel free to post them here! I will edit the original post accordingly, also with the list of players, if there´s people who would like to play.

Player-lists: :sparkle:

Spoiler:  Round 1 • show

Those who have :squirrelcookie: behind their name have finished their contribution

host: Mirasol :squirrelcookie:
Players:
1: catbirds :squirrelcookie:
2: moredhel :squirrelcookie:
3: Keep Looking :squirrelcookie:
4: wavewright62 :squirrelcookie:
5: tehta :squirrelcookie:
6: MollyVampiric :squirrelcookie:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:48:06 AM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

catbirds

Re: Art-Telephone: Someone interested in playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 12:12:08 PM »
This sounds fun! I'd like to play ^-^

Will we get to see the full chain here once we're finished? oops found the answer in the post lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:13:36 PM by catbirds »

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:43:55 PM »
This sounds interesting I would like to participate.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:13:40 PM »
This sounds very fun, I'd love to participate.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:50:04 PM »
ME!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
Awesome, great to have you on board! :))

Let me jot you down into the players-list. I´ll just go with your order of signing up for now, as I don´t think we´ll have any super-set dates. My best guess for this is "draw and send it once you´re done, don´t take longer than a week, but if you´re done sooner, just go send it." Is that working for everyone?
And that means you would start, catbirds, is that ok for you?

But since the picture will probably not change too drastically in four rounds, I´ll leave signups for round 1 still open for a bit.

catbirds

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:40:17 PM »
Yeah, that's okay for me :))

And I agree, it's more fun with more people! So I hope some others sign up too.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
I love and heartily support this game! But unfortunately I’m useless in art so I’m not able to participate. I’ll just hang here and wait to see the results!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

catbirds

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 02:55:44 PM »
I love and heartily support this game! But unfortunately I’m useless in art so I’m not able to participate. I’ll just hang here and wait to see the results!

Would a word-description be a viable part of the game? I mean, I think it could be fun to try and decipher from words what a character looks like and it might mean more people can participate, though the final person or the person after them would have to be someone who can draw the character.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:10:44 AM »
This game kind of reminds me of Drawception! Though in Drawception, other players write descriptions in between each image as a prompt for what the next person is supposed to draw, pretty much like how catbirds described I think. The descriptions in Drawception have a pretty short word limit though, specifically so that more misinterpretations happen between the drawings. But in this case, if written descriptions were to be added, it might work better without a word limit because it might be more fun for the writers and since it would be cool to see different interpretations of a detailed description instead. Unless if the misinterpretation is the goal, in which case it might be a fun challenge for the writers to fit as much description as possible within the word limit.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
Misinterpretation as the goal?  May I request: not for this one, please.  Adding in written descriptions instead of the image that comes to you would be very challenging indeed - unsure but what the hey.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 03:10:38 AM »
I´m afraid I´m with Wave on this one, as much as I would love you writers to participate. :(

The problem is that unlike in games like Doodle or die or I´m assuming the one you described, muidole, the required drawings are both pretty detailed and fully colored, so that the difficulty comes from remembering what was where. I just fear that with descriptions, which would have to be pretty lengthy to encompass everything, we would lose a great amount of detail very quickly. Especially as the next person only has a short time to read and memorize the description.
I´d say it´s something we could/should experiment with in later rounds, but for this first one, would it be okay to just stick with pictures? That would be better to test how well this game in its usual state works in a forum-format in the first place.

But you still can participate if you want to! As I said, you don´t need to be a super-great artist.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »
It would be a different but interesting game. Even without a word or time limit I think there would be enough change in the results if a painting is recreated from a describing text.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 01:57:27 AM »
Yes, I understand. My apologies for misunderstanding the aim of the game, and I'm also sorry if my post made anyone confused about what this game is supposed to be about.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:04:03 AM by muidole »

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 04:49:22 AM »
If someone set up a hybrid game, then I would totally sign up.

Could also sign up for art game if terrible art is allowed.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others