Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234398 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »

I'll just, uh, volunteer my voice and keyboard skillz for the SSSS symphony orchestra, although at this point it looks like it's like 3 pianists, a violinist, a guitarist and a trumpet player. That could be a cool unconventional ensemble though!

Can you play marimba?  Then we'd have at least the nucleus of a mariachi band!  (Though we could probably also use someone who plays guitarrón or vihuela.  Maybe Noah O., who plays cello, could switch to guitarrón.  Or else we could try some very refined, orchestral Cuban son.  I can at least play some hand-held percussion and help imitate fire trucks, a la the Buena Vista Social Club.)

We always like to hear what people consider their favorite pieces. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

goldenbrightsun

• Super-Newbie
  • daughter of winter and stars
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2014, 01:11:53 AM »
Can you play marimba?  Then we'd have at least the nucleus of a mariachi band!  (Though we could probably also use someone who plays guitarrón or vihuela.  Maybe Noah O., who plays cello, could switch to guitarrón.  Or else we could try some very refined, orchestral Cuban son.  I can at least play some hand-held percussion and help imitate fire trucks, a la the Buena Vista Social Club.)

I could tryyyy??? I can't handle mallets that well, but I can learn! I live really close to Mexico and I grew up even closer, so I heard a lot of mariachi music growing up and I love it :)

Hmm.  We have a thread for user-made music, in this board, actually.  I might be putting some stuff in there once I get a mic!

I did not see it upon my first inspection... I'll look closer.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

NO! I will never stop playing cello

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »
More ambient/ neo-classical/ post-rock/ I don't know. Found these guys while looking for setting-appropriate music for writing: A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »
MORE SOUNDTRACKS! Guess which anime I'm currently watching, ahahahaha...(Darker Than Black is next on the list. I don't think I've had an anime spree like this since last year's end-of-year exams, hah.)

Also, Samurai Champloo's soundtracks aren't half bad, either. Really nice for a work background.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Finhawk

• Super-Newbie
  • King of Apples | Mohawk Lord
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Love this song.

I used to hate Swedish back in middle school (mainly because of my first teacher) but Sabaton restored my motivation to learn it. Though I still kinda suck at it. :,D

Lallipop

« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
I more or less have a dependency on music to spark my creativity, so I have thousands of songs on my computer across all genres. I wish I could post all of them, but that'd be...  :-[

Nonetheless, here's 4 songs I've been listening to lately. I've been listening to a lot of techno-like songs, which is strange since I usually gravitate towards rock/punk/ominous latin chanting.

Die For • The Birthday Massacre

Oblivion • Grimes

Parfüm • Boggie

Catallena • Orange Caramel (My favorite KPOP group!)

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
Here's how my day goes:
Mornings:
Anime Theme Songs (Especially fond of SAO's openers)

Afternoons:
70's-80's (1700's and 1800's if I have homework)

Evenings:
I loop U Can't Touch This over and over and over and over and over and over again

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
Wolf's Rain OST. Another Yoko Kanno.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
Wolf's Rain OST. Another Yoko Kanno.
Did someone say Wolf's Rain???
*Beware the fangirl*
WHOOOOHOOOH!

I actually fell in love with Yoko-sama's music because of that anime. It was like "Wow, this soundtrack is really good, wonder who wrote it, wait there's more?"

Currently working myself through Darker Than Black (because you mentioned it before) and so far I really like the soundtrack (apart from the generic, but unfortunately earwormy, opening and ending themes, why didn't you let Yoko-sama do the job in a whole, baka).
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
Did someone say Wolf's Rain???
*Beware the fangirl*
WHOOOOHOOOH!

I actually fell in love with Yoko-sama's music because of that anime. It was like "Wow, this soundtrack is really good, wonder who wrote it, wait there's more?"

Currently working myself through Darker Than Black (because you mentioned it before) and so far I really like the soundtrack (apart from the generic, but unfortunately earwormy, opening and ending themes, why didn't you let Yoko-sama do the job in a whole, baka).

I haven't actually seen the anime yet, I'm saving it for when I want my heart broken a little (same with Donten ni Warau - I was ECSTATIC when I saw that received an anime adaptation, but I won't watch it until I'm ready for hurting - beautiful story, so well done, and AMAZING art, but like all good stories, it hurts). But the music is beauuuutiful.

I haven't seen Darker Than Black yet, either, you're ahead of me on that! I'm still busy with Trigun. Almost done, though (like, 3 episodes left), and then I'll dive right into it.

I got into Yoko Kanno thanks to you guys, hahahaha. I'm watching anime because she's made the soundtracks now, instead of listening to soundtracks because they were good in the anime. A first, but a good first. It means that I can first form my own opinions of the music, then watch the story, and then form different opinions about the soundtrack after I've relistened to it (and agree/disagree with composition choices, eheheh). It's nice.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:16:17 PM by Lenny »

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
I'm watching anime because she's made the soundtracks now, instead of listening to soundtracks because they were good in the anime. A first, but a good first. It means that I can first form my own opinions of the music, then watch the story, and then form different opinions about the soundtrack after I've relistened to it (and agree/disagree with composition choices, eheheh). It's nice.
Same here, ever since the discovery of Yoko Kanno. Sadly, there's so much unreleased music in the anime, that you will never get a hold of, no matter how intense your search might be (curse you, one unnamed track from Turn A Gundam, and there's a lot of that in Wolf's Rain, too, at least somebody managed to get them filtered out in GitS: SAC and Arjuna)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:51 AM »
Same here, ever since the discovery of Yoko Kanno. Sadly, there's so much unreleased music in the anime, that you will never get a hold of, no matter how intense your search might be (curse you, one unnamed track from Turn A Gundam, and there's a lot of that in Wolf's Rain, too, at least somebody managed to get them filtered out in GitS: SAC and Arjuna)

Quite true. Vice versa, too! There are songs in the soundtracks that only part of were ever used in the anime, some so little that you could hardly recognise the full track when you heard it.

AAAAAH I've been listening to Ghibli soundtracks all afternoon (if no one has ever listened to them, I recommend most of all Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaä, and Princess Mononoke - but ALL of them have superb soundtracks), and I am now desperate to read Howl's Moving Castle again. But we don't haaave it so I'll have to get it from the library and that will have to wait 'til tomorrow, that is if they even have it on the shelf, and I want it now, anyway. *siiiigh* I might have to make do with the film... but I really want certain scenes that were only ever in the book...  :'(

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
Had this song stuck in my head all day.
I forgot how depressing the lyrics were, but it's got a good message.
Feel free to PM.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »
AAAAAH I've been listening to Ghibli soundtracks all afternoon (if no one has ever listened to them, I recommend most of all Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaä, and Princess Mononoke - but ALL of them have superb soundtracks), and I am now desperate to read Howl's Moving Castle again. But we don't haaave it so I'll have to get it from the library and that will have to wait 'til tomorrow, that is if they even have it on the shelf, and I want it now, anyway. *siiiigh* I might have to make do with the film... but I really want certain scenes that were only ever in the book...  :'(

OH oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh have you heard the Kikujiro soundtrack? Also by Hisaishi-sensei? It was for a live action film so it's not as well known as the ones he's done for Miyazaki's films, but it is my favorite sountrack he's done--no, my favorite music he's done, period. Look up the track Summer (I'm on a phone, or I'd link it for you). Go ahead, I'll wait while you listen and spasm with joy.