Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234151 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #690 on: February 07, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
I've had The Mountain Goats - Counterfeit Florida Plates stuck in my head since yesterday.

I've been trying to combat it with Eurovision music.... So far Satellite is working, but now I'm starting to wonder if having Lena as an earworm is worse than The Mountain Goats. ;V
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #691 on: February 07, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
As the mercury rapidly heads towards 42C I can't help be reminded of this classic from 1929...

/>

The polar bears ain't green in Greenland
They got the right idea
They think it's great to refrigerate
While we all cremate down here

(Sorry, my brain may well be melting)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #692 on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
Flashback to October 20, 2001, 5 weeks after 9/11.  The Concert for New York City, Madison Square Garden.  Place is packed.

Billy Joel performing this live was one of the best performances I've ever seen.  (And it remains the single most expensive concert I've ever been at.)

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #693 on: February 09, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
Starting the morning with U2 - Beautiful Day sounds like a good idea. : D

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #694 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »
Today's discovery : 숨[suːm], "Passing Rain"
/>
*Fascinated by this instrument which seems to be a kind of hammered dulcimer* <3

Mélusine, I just happened to check out this thread for the first time and OMG. I've been a fan of the hammered dulcimer and the Koto, which is what I think the other instrument is, since I was a kid. The both of them together is amazing. Maybe it's a bass Koto or a variation on the theme. I'll be grabbing this one when I get home this evening.
Speaking of Kotos, I have some video on my camera of one being played and at one point the performers fingers are literally dancing on the strings. It's amazing to watch and listen to. 
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #695 on: February 11, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
Passenger - Wicked Man's Rest
The entire album is good and I've been listening to it over and over and over and....

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #696 on: February 11, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #697 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:49 PM »

I've been listening to this a lot lately as background music while doing work - it's also always felt very SSSS in mood to me, something about it really pings me as a mournful Silent World tune.
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Iceea

« Reply #698 on: February 12, 2016, 12:52:55 AM »
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

Robin Williams

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #699 on: February 12, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »

Baroness
Pretentious? Moi?

Iceea

« Reply #700 on: February 13, 2016, 01:17:44 AM »

Baroness
Double H,
Well that was interesting. Progressive metal? Now there's a term I'm not familiar with.
Hmm, it's probably in the "I'm too old - it's too loud" category. But I just might buy it or one of their other CDs.
Actually in my youth, circa 1968, I did listen to the band that set the style for what was to become heavy metal. Whose name escapes me, that's what I get for being an old fart.
They recorded an album in one of New York's old dis used dock side warehouses. They put their huge stack of double Marshall's at one end and the microphones in the middle and just played.
I'll have to dig that one up. All my vinyl is in storage, it will be a bit of a chore, but now I'm curious to see how it compares. Hopefully my memory of the music isn't as bad of my memory of the bands name...

Robin Williams

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #701 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
Double H,
Well that was interesting. Progressive metal? Now there's a term I'm not familiar with.
Hmm, it's probably in the "I'm too old - it's too loud" category. But I just might buy it or one of their other CDs.
Actually in my youth, circa 1968, I did listen to the band that set the style for what was to become heavy metal. Whose name escapes me, that's what I get for being an old fart.
They recorded an album in one of New York's old dis used dock side warehouses. They put their huge stack of double Marshall's at one end and the microphones in the middle and just played.
I'll have to dig that one up. All my vinyl is in storage, it will be a bit of a chore, but now I'm curious to see how it compares. Hopefully my memory of the music isn't as bad of my memory of the bands name...
If that got you interested in some more progmetal I recommend you check out my favorite band: Haken

Is the band you were thinking of perhaps Black Sabbath? They are widely regarded as the first metal band. They formed in '68 and released their first album in '70 so maybe a bit later than you were talking about. They're also from the UK and not US.
Pretentious? Moi?

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #702 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
Today's a good day for Santana. I was obsessed with the Supernatural album in high school... Primavera was my favourite. (Oh man, suddenly realizing I still know all the words....)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #703 on: February 13, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
This needs no introduction, really, other than seeing it live on Broadway was even better.

Iceea

« Reply #704 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »
If that got you interested in some more progmetal I recommend you check out my favorite band: Haken

Is the band you were thinking of perhaps Black Sabbath? They are widely regarded as the first metal band. They formed in '68 and released their first album in '70 so maybe a bit later than you were talking about. They're also from the UK and not US.

Nope older than that, Blue Cheer, It took me till Sunday night to drag the name out the basement of my memory.  ;D They had a rather checkered on again off again career but impressive at points.
this was their big hit. These days it kinda looks like a bunch of teenagers trying to do metal. But hey it had to start somewhere.
I'll give Haken a listen

Robin Williams