Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234183 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Ok, though Yoko Kanno's been mentioned, I just have to link this one: Cowboy Bebop's full soundtrack. Listened to the full thing twice already, and can't stop, it's so good<3

Ooh, thanks!  I was listening to a full Yoko Kanno playlist last night on YouTube and loved it.  Yet another reason to appreciate this forum -- I am being introduced to so much great music I'd never even *heard* of.  (I am really coming to appreciate OSTs as a genre.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »
Ooh, thanks!  I was listening to a full Yoko Kanno playlist last night on YouTube and loved it.  Yet another reason to appreciate this forum -- I am being introduced to so much great music I'd never even *heard* of.  (I am really coming to appreciate OSTs as a genre.)
There are loooots of good soundtracks out there.
Here's another!
Feel free to PM.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
Since I started the Yoko Kanno conversation, you're welcome. I'm always glad to be of help.^^
There are loooots of good soundtracks out there.
Here's another!
This one's really nice, too!

Still on the topic of Yoko Kanno, I finally recorded myself singing two of her songs. I'll post the uploads in the Vocaroo thread on the Language board (since one is somewhat Spanish and the other is Japanese, also Vocaroo thread).
The First is the unreleased Maligno Ton Negro Lo Matar from Wolf's Rain, and the second is Aquaria Mau Sora.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
There's a disturbing lack of blues/rock in this thread so far.
High Energy:  R.L. Burnside - Let My Baby Ride
Low Energy:  Chris Thomas King - Hard Time Killing Floor Blues (cover)
Feel free to PM.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
Noticed the silence around here. Also noticed Christmas decoration everywhere. Further noticed to like forests. Thought, how about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsPdGiYYC4
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
Noticed the silence around here. Also noticed Christmas decoration everywhere. Further noticed to like forests. Thought, how about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsPdGiYYC4
A bunch of the guys in my Orchestra are arguing over who's the better violinist:
Linsey Stirling
Jashca Heifetz
Itzahk Perlman
Hillary Hahn
Joshua Bell

Any input?

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
A bunch of the guys in my Orchestra are arguing over who's the better violinist:
Linsey Stirling
Jashca Heifetz
Itzahk Perlman
Hillary Hahn
Joshua Bell

Any input?

Considering the only one I've heard of in that list is Lindsey Stirling, I'm of no use there. But I must say - after a certain point, all musicians are equal in quality. The difference then exists in their respective styles of playing, and there is no saying which is the best if that's to be the comparison point.
Am notified of private messages via email.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Linsey Stirling
Jashca Heifetz
Itzahk Perlman
Hillary Hahn
Joshua Bell

Any input?

Hillary Hahn! Hillary Hahn Hillary Hahn HillaryHahnHillaryHillary Hahn Hahn. Yes.

*cough* That said, they're all quite good, with the exception of Jashca Heifetz, whom I have not heard and who is thusly crap, of course. ;) When you get to those sorts of rarefied levels of mastery, defining who's "better" is almost impossible--even their peers would be hard pressed to make a judgement. So it comes down to which one makes you shiver with delight and want to have their babies and tattoo their name on your skin etc etc. And for me, without hesitation, that's Hillary Hahn.

MõõtmatuTaevas

« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
What a bunch of excellent groups! :D finally I will be able to update my archaic music sack ... I specially like Helios, pretty relaxing and peaceful

So here I leave a couple of my favourites songs of all times to share ( I just want to be popular c: )

"Birdie" : An excellent Russian band, "Pelageya". The video is very interesting, it's is a painting painted onto glass and modified for each frame of the short-film. The artist is Aleksandr Petrov and you can see all the process of filming in here ... each painting is a truly peace of art!

"Dark Solstice" : One of my favourites songs of this Irish band "God is and astronaut". They don't have vocals, but their music is kind of addictive, I don't know. 

Enjoy!
:: Native
:: Advanced
:: Not so advanced
:: Completely beginner

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
Ah, I don't believe I've listed Zaz yet. French artist, rather unique style, and rather fun, too.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »
Judging from the sheer number of Yoko Kanno mentions, I went and took a look-see. LOOOOVE IT

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
Judging from the sheer number of Yoko Kanno mentions, I went and took a look-see. LOOOOVE IT
Yep.  That's pretty much the long and short of it, haha.
She. Is. Awesome.
Feel free to PM.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »
From Yoko Kanno, I also recommand the soundtrack from "The Vision of Escaflowne". The anime is not very well known, but it has some trully epic pieces:
/>
/>
/>
/>
/>
(the first three tracks are from the series, the last two from the movie, which is not a sequel but a completely different retelling of the series)
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

goldenbrightsun

• Super-Newbie
  • daughter of winter and stars
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »
Wow, everyone has such good taste! I'd post reccomendations but I think between Hedge14 and Eich and Sunflower, all my favorite stuff got covered. Even the church music and the renaissance music, which is impressive.

I'll just, uh, volunteer my voice and keyboard skillz for the SSSS symphony orchestra, although at this point it looks like it's like 3 pianists, a violinist, a guitarist and a trumpet player. That could be a cool unconventional ensemble though!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
Wow, everyone has such good taste! I'd post reccomendations but I think between Hedge14 and Eich and Sunflower, all my favorite stuff got covered. Even the church music and the renaissance music, which is impressive.

I'll just, uh, volunteer my voice and keyboard skillz for the SSSS symphony orchestra, although at this point it looks like it's like 3 pianists, a violinist, a guitarist and a trumpet player. That could be a cool unconventional ensemble though!
Hmm.  We have a thread for user-made music, in this board, actually.  I might be putting some stuff in there once I get a mic!
Feel free to PM.