Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234387 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »

(By request also posted in this thread.) Hekla by Jón Leifs is one of my favourite classical pieces ever for the following reasons:

It apparently holds the world record on being the loudest piece of classical music ever written.

Percussionists needed: 19.

Percussion instruments, aside of the normal ones:

- wooden mallets + tree stumps
- anvils
- hammers
- corrugated iron sheets
- tuned rocks (= rocks in different sizes)
- sirens
- huge bells
- ship chains
- a shotgun
- a cannon or several
- most likely many more

There are of course many other awesome pieces by Jón as well, such as Geysir and Dettifoss that I would recommend. :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
If we're talking about weird instruments, can I just remind everyone of that time Björk used an actual tesla coil in a song?

(this is the live version so you can see it in the background starting at about 1:05)

and also whatever this thing is:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:56:34 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »
While we are on the topic of Icelanders and unusual insturments, I present chapter 3 of Hrafnagaldur Óðins featuring Sigur Rós playing a marimba made out of tuned rocks. I love this song so much.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
While we are on the topic of Icelanders and unusual insturments, I present chapter 3 of Hrafnagaldur Óðins featuring Sigur Rós playing a marimba made out of tuned rocks. I love this song so much.

OH YES THIS ONE ! :D <3 <3 <3
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
It apparently holds the world record on being the loudest piece of classical music ever written.
You were definitely not wrong about it being LOUD. Wow.

That was really cute! Reminded me of like, Secret of Kells/Song of the Sea type of movies...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »

Oh yes this one is so good! By the way, when will they properly release it? :P (Now some of these people are releasing new music, but still!)
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Mélusine

« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
Oh yes this one is so good! By the way, when will they properly release it? :P (Now some of these people are releasing new music, but still!)
One friend told me, while making me discovering these more or less hidden titles, that it seemed the record company wasn't hurried :-\
This one is my favorite in the project. Full of... how to explain ? Joy. A lot of joy. Like if everything was possible :)
(We're several fans of Sigur Rós here now... *Imagines a meeting before a concert : a perfect day* ^^)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Latiep

• Gets distracted by EVERYTHING. Lurks in spare time
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »
Music that I listen to in Norwegian:

*Decides to listen
*Listens a bit more
*Ends up playing the whole album on repeat all day.

Do you happen to know of any more music like this perhaps?
Native :usa:
Learning :norway:
Is planning on learning :iceland:
Knows a bit of :france:
Knows tidbits of :germany:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Montiv

« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2015, 05:24:48 AM »

I can't say how extremely gorgeous this is, I'm going to listen through the whole playlist for sure! Thank you for posting.
Fluent:
:poland: :usa:
Learning:
:spain:

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #354 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »
Also, war songs from the times of the 1991-1995 Yugoslavian bloodbath are a big guilty pleasure for me (with an emphasis on guilty - I apologize in advance to ryagami and any other possibly present folks from the Balkans)
[...]

Really no need to apologize. :)

By the way, the song above is not exactly a war song. I mean, the text was probably written as a reaction to the events, but it's a love song. :)
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

MrHouse

« Reply #355 on: July 22, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
I'm a bit of metalhead... So, that being said, here's some of my favorite bands:

Borean Dusk (recently discovered these guys)

Toccata Magna (also discovered them recently)

And, sort of a guilty pleasure because they're extremely cheesy... Manowar.

"It may look as though mankind is making a comeback. In the NCR, you have something that resembles a nation state. Savage as it is, in Caesar's Legion, you have an organized society. But neither of these offer a future. They're regurgitations of the past."

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #356 on: July 22, 2015, 04:06:38 AM »
Really no need to apologize. :)

By the way, the song above is not exactly a war song. I mean, the text was probably written as a reaction to the events, but it's a love song. :)
I chose the tamer songs for that post - there are plenty of more militant stuff on YouTube.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Danskjavlar

• Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #357 on: July 22, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the most unspecific and wierdest music taste of all. (But I'll be stalking this thread just to see if I'm wrong)

Challenge accepted.

MrHouse

« Reply #358 on: July 22, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
I raise you... The Screamers (synth-punk from the 70s... Older than I am O.o).

"It may look as though mankind is making a comeback. In the NCR, you have something that resembles a nation state. Savage as it is, in Caesar's Legion, you have an organized society. But neither of these offer a future. They're regurgitations of the past."

Danskjavlar

• Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #359 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »
Actually, I've already heard of them.  :P