Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234174 times)

Fenris

Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »
Okay, bit of a spectrum here.
[spoiler]Laid-back alternative/folk:
/>And
/>Also
/>
Kinda funk/electronica/alt-pop/I don't even know:
/>And
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

Alt-rock:
/>(Thom Yorke is such a freak, love him)
And
/>Also
/>
Rap/Hip-Hop:
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=y2l-dvU9tOw
And:
/>Also
/>(I know that was quite a few, but I'll probably add more, so only open that spoiler if you're okay with videospam).
(If you liked any of those, feel free to send me a PM so I can recommend about 3 billion songs because I never shut up about music, ever).
Some of your links (the ones with #) don't work.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #331 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »
Some of your links (the ones with #) don't work.
Oh, really? Must be some quirk of the Android browser. .-.
I'll update 'em tomorrow when I can use my actual computer again. Thanks, though!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »

I'm a HUGE fan of Shiina Ringo so it's a wonder I haven't put any of her music here yet, but it will be remedied now!

メロウ (Merou/Mellow).

流行 (Ryuukou)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
German. Song by a band I like a lot. This song is kinda sad but I'm in a bit of a funk. Oh well, at least funks make for interesting drawing inspration.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2015, 03:31:13 AM »
Okay, bit of a spectrum here.
Laid-back alternative/folk:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2D7lnhK49A
And
/>Also
/>
(If you liked any of those, feel free to send me a PM so I can recommend about 3 billion songs because I never shut up about music, ever).

I followed the Badly Drawn Boy link (liked the song -- I only knew the group from the "About a Boy" soundtrack) and on the same YouTube page was a link to a song too serendipitously titled not to share:

"Putting the Dog to Sleep" by the Antlers.  (I've never heard of this group -- should I?)

I listen to world music but otherwise I am the least musically hip person you know.  (FYI, I subtitled the linked song "the gypsy Macarena" in my iTunes collection.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »
I just came here to talk how most best Kent is! Some of their lyrics are so magnificent!

Now let me bury you with songs you won't even listen to! (Also, they are really amazing, in my opinion, for people learning Swedish!)
/>
/>
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »
I followed the Badly Drawn Boy link (liked the song -- I only knew the group from the "About a Boy" soundtrack)

I listen to world music but otherwise I am the least musically hip person you know.  (FYI, I subtitled the linked song "the gypsy Macarena" in my iTunes collection.)
I'd attempt not to mention my Badly Drawn Boy obsession, but it doesn't help that he's playing live a few miles away later this year (which he rarely does) and I can't go.
Also, bit of a long shot here, but given that you said "world music", you might like Beirut? I've heard them classified as world music but I'm not entirely sure they're quite the same thing.
/>(they can do a surprising amount with an accordion, ukelele and a brass section, I'll give them that- not normally my type of thing but I saw them live a few years ago and they're actually pretty great)

Also, kinda keeping with the mashup vibe of the track you linked, you might like Mundian to Bach Ke by Panjabi MC. I mean, who doesn't like a song that mixes classical bhangra with a Busta Rhymes/Knight Rider sample?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
I'd attempt not to mention my Badly Drawn Boy obsession, but it doesn't help that he's playing live a few miles away later this year (which he rarely does) and I can't go.
Also, bit of a long shot here, but given that you said "world music", you might like Beirut? I've heard them classified as world music but I'm not entirely sure they're quite the same thing.
/>(they can do a surprising amount with an accordion, ukelele and a brass section, I'll give them that- not normally my type of thing but I saw them live a few years ago and they're actually pretty great)

Also, kinda keeping with the mashup vibe of the track you linked, you might like Mundian to Bach Ke by Panjabi MC. I mean, who doesn't like a song that mixes classical bhangra with a Busta Rhymes/Knight Rider sample?
/>

I like your suggestions, P.A.!
It's funny, though -- the Panjabi MC song sounded familiar, and it turns out it's on the one-and-only bhangra CD I own (from a Desi friend who is "so over" bhangra). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
Music that I listen to in Norwegian:

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
Nice!  With a very versatile voice, I'd guess just from the short listen.

I wonder if Cortana will cut an album now that Apple has....  (ducks)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Montiv

« Reply #341 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:10 AM »
Hey, I'll go ahead and bump in.

Daft Punk (a lot)
OK GO
Vintage music from the 20s-50s
Music from the 80s-90s (Pet Shop Boys, a-ha, Queen, Enya)
Hans Zimmer
Classic piano and orchestra.
Video Game music (Star Fox, Ori and the Blind Forest, Bioshock)

I'm pretty sure I have the most unspecific and wierdest music taste of all. (But I'll be stalking this thread just to see if I'm wrong)

Also since people are adding various songs:
Fluent:
:poland: :usa:
Learning:
:spain:

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »
Montiv, for a moment there, I though you shared a song from The Knife and got all hyped up. xD
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

Montiv

« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
Montiv, for a moment there, I though you shared a song from The Knife and got all hyped up. xD

Ghaha! I never really heard of that duo but just checked them out and I kinda like em  ;) thanks!
Fluent:
:poland: :usa:
Learning:
:spain:

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the most unspecific and wierdest music taste of all. (But I'll be stalking this thread just to see if I'm wrong)

Considering my music tastes, I'm sure I can outweird you.

Also, war songs from the times of the 1991-1995 Yugoslavian bloodbath are a big guilty pleasure for me (with an emphasis on guilty - I apologize in advance to ryagami and any other possibly present folks from the Balkans)

Sadly, a very similar conflict is going on very close to my country - the two once brotherly nations, Russians and Ukrainians, are fighting each other with blind nationalist fervour in the Donbass. That spikes my interest in what happened in the Balkans in the horrible decade that was the 1990s.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:46:32 PM by Guardian G.I. »
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany: