Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234184 times)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive! A fair deal later, though  :P
>snip!<

I enjoyed your score for Psalm 139 very much.  It recalled to me Ashokan Farewell, Concerning Hobbits, and Shenandoah, at times.  All of which I like, incidentally.   :D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »
a calm, relaxed and even sedate Norwegian song.

AH HA HA.  "Calm and relaxed."  Oh man, you Norwegians slay me.   :o WAIT!  No, I didn't mean it literally!

Geeze, this is almost as bad as the time I clicked on a link that FinnishViking said was a nice cheery sample of Finnish folk-rock and it turned out to be some terrifyingly bloodthirsty, soul-sucking metal anthem by Korpiklaani. 

Um, thanks for keeping me up to date with what "the youth" is listening to, anyway...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »

Setting the mood for today - there'll be so much armour-building and handsewing pleather in store for me again that my mental state will be this or crying, and I like crying less.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Ooohh music! I must go through this entire thread now and listen to all the things. But maybe not right this moment because late. I have lots of stuff I want to share. Maybe I will go by language. My ipod is a huge conglomeration of many different languages, that's actually how I learn a lot of them. I think I will start with my latest addition: Finnish. My friend recently shared some Finnish music with me and I have this one song constantly stuck in my head. I refer to it as The Lalli Song even though it has nothing to do with Lalli. It's just that Lalli speaks Finnish and the song is in Finnish so I think of Lalli when I listen to it. I'm pretty sure it's actually about the word thanks though. I don't really know anything else, but I can sing along with the chorus from memory now, so progress.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #319 on: July 05, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »

Setting the mood for today - there'll be so much armour-building and handsewing pleather in store for me again that my mental state will be this or crying, and I like crying less.

That's delightful!  Who are those merry folks?  And what are they singing?  I recognized the word "troll," that's all.

And what's all this about armor-building and hand-sewing pleather?  Are you working on a cosplay project you can tell us about?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »
That's delightful!  Who are those merry folks?  And what are they singing?  I recognized the word "troll," that's all.

And what's all this about armor-building and hand-sewing pleather?  Are you working on a cosplay project you can tell us about?

This is a band called Ljótu hálfvitarnir (= ugly idiots) and here they're singing about fishing, mostly. :D The name of the song means "lucky trawl" but it also might be a pun on Good Luck Trolls, those plastic troll toys that were super popular at one point.

The project would be this one, Flemeth from Dragon Age. This'll be my cosplay for the NCC in this year's Närcon, almost there now...

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fenris

« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
AH HA HA.  "Calm and relaxed."  Oh man, you Norwegians slay me.   :o WAIT!  No, I didn't mean it literally!

Geeze, this is almost as bad as the time I clicked on a link that FinnishViking said was a nice cheery sample of Finnish folk-rock and it turned out to be some terrifyingly bloodthirsty, soul-sucking metal anthem by Korpiklaani. 

Um, thanks for keeping me up to date with what "the youth" is listening to, anyway...
But... Korpiklaani is folk-rock. Maybe folk-metal, but if that is terrifyingly blood-thirsty, I wonder what you call one of Enslaved's calmest songs.

The project would be this one, Flemeth from Dragon Age. This'll be my cosplay for the NCC in this year's Närcon, almost there now...
Aah, neat. Going with her look in DA2 it seems?

Snommelp

« Reply #322 on: July 05, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
I enjoyed your score for Psalm 139 very much.  It recalled to me Ashokan Farewell, Concerning Hobbits, and Shenandoah, at times.  All of which I like, incidentally.   :D

Wow, thanks! I'm glad you caught hints of Ashokan Farewell and Shenandoah, because even though I wasn't thinking about those two in particular, I was trying to go for a bit more of a folksy American hymnody sort of feel; I snuck a little bit of Simple Gifts in, which you may or may not have picked up on. And Concerning Hobbits was actually a huge worry for me; after I wrote the Psalm tune, I realized that I heard that one in there, and was worried that it might even be a bit too close!
Native speaker :usa:
Learning :sweden: :denmark: :norway: :ireland:
Want to learn :finland: :iceland: :wales: :italy: :brazil:
Know a small amount of :germany: :france: :vaticancity:
Professional(ish) musician and theologian

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
Aah, neat. Going with her look in DA2 it seems?

Yes - while I also love her Inquisition look, this is the one that's my favourite. Something about the snake pattern on her Inquisition clothes is a bit ehhhh to me and I prefer the rivets to be silver, not black. Having said that I admit I have been considering making her Inquisition outfit at some later point... but that's for some time in the future.

Fenris

« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »
Yes - while I also love her Inquisition look, this is the one that's my favourite. Something about the snake pattern on her Inquisition clothes is a bit ehhhh to me and I prefer the rivets to be silver, not black. Having said that I admit I have been considering making her Inquisition outfit at some later point... but that's for some time in the future.
Not considered her look in DA:O? It seems to be the easiest one to do. Not that I can say anything (never even made an outfit, and I think the only one I could pull off is Alistair anyway).

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #325 on: July 05, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
Not considered her look in DA:O? It seems to be the easiest one to do. Not that I can say anything (never even made an outfit, and I think the only one I could pull off is Alistair anyway).

Nnnaaaah. Origins Flemeth is also great, but if I can't have hair horns and half armour I won't be happy. :D

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
A swedish song that I like:

I totally do not listen to this song just so I can hear all the 'sk' sounds nope totally not at all :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: Videos/songs
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
In honor of Safety Dad Mikkel:   ;)

Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
But... Korpiklaani is folk-rock. Maybe folk-metal, but if that is terrifyingly blood-thirsty, I wonder what you call one of Enslaved's calmest songs.

*whimpers* All the tea in China (or all the macarons in Paris) could not persuade me to click that link! 
(Locks self in the bathroom and sings "Rubber Duckie" till she feels less terrified.)

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
Okay, bit of a spectrum here.
[spoiler]Laid-back alternative/folk:
/>And
/>Also
/>
Kinda funk/electronica/alt-pop/I don't even know:
/>And
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

Alt-rock:
/>(Thom Yorke is such a freak, love him)
And
/>Also
/>
Rap/Hip-Hop:
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=y2l-dvU9tOw
And:
/>Also
/>(I know that was quite a few, but I'll probably add more, so only open that spoiler if you're okay with videospam).
(If you liked any of those, feel free to send me a PM so I can recommend about 3 billion songs because I never shut up about music, ever).