Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234356 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
So I came across this on tumblr quite a while ago, and thought it would do quite as well for Emil as for Hans. Beauuutiful~ *sparkles everywhere*

Also, Jónsi.

Edit: Whohoo, I managed to mix up BBC and HTML in a very silly manner. All fixed now. Hopefully.

Hehehe I've always thought Santino's audition song was a perfect musical embodiment of Emil! ;P Oh yes Emil, you're so charming when you imitate Danes, and snap off mirrors, and crush your team partner with terror ;D

And gosh Jónsi.....I haven't listened to any of his new songs lately, but that one is now my new favorite!! :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »
So I came across this on tumblr quite a while ago, and thought it would do quite as well for Emil as for Hans. Beauuutiful~ *sparkles everywhere*

Ha!  Love it!  I think we've found our Emil!  (BTW, I saw your "baskerville old face" command.  Will BBC really accommodate other typefaces besides the 10 on the Simple Machines Forum menu?)
(Answer:  Yes, it handles Palatino, one of my favorite typefaces, other than Gill Sans!)

Also, Jónsi.

Wow, I never stop finding great things on this forum.  Who or what is Jonsi?  Would I have heard anything else of his/theirs?  (I gather Jonsi did soundtracks for "How to Train Your Dragon," which I haven't seen but probably should.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:37 AM »
Ha!  Love it!  I think we've found our Emil!  (BTW, I saw your "baskerville old face" command.  Will BBC really accommodate other typefaces besides the 10 on the Simple Machines Forum menu?)
(Answer:  Yes, it handles Palatino, one of my favorite typefaces, other than Gill Sans!)

I'm guessing you like sans serif fonts? ;3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
I'm guessing you like sans serif fonts? ;3

Palatino has serifs, but in my last comment it reproduced too small to see 'em.  It's a very classic, elegant, antique typeface, like Baskerville but a bit simpler and calmer.  I actually am not much for most sans-serif typefaces (although Arial is my default because it's readable).  Gill Sans I like because it reminds me of the London Underground and that "Keep Calm and Carry On" sign.  In fact, I designed my business cards in Gill.

If you are also a font geek, you might like the book "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore."  It's a charming historical/literary mystery (sort of like Dan Brown's books minus the stupid parts).  PLUS, it actually gets the geography and flavor right of San Francisco and Silicon Valley, which as a local is a big plus for me.  I'm more willing to give an author that "willing suspension of disbelief" when s/he gets the checkable, real-world facts right. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
Palatino has serifs, but in my last comment it reproduced too small to see 'em.  It's a very classic, elegant, antique typeface, like Baskerville but a bit simpler and calmer.  I actually am not much for most sans-serif typefaces (although Arial is my default because it's readable).  Gill Sans I like because it reminds me of the London Underground and that "Keep Calm and Carry On" sign.  In fact, I designed my business cards in Gill.

If you are also a font geek, you might like the book "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore."  It's a charming historical/literary mystery (sort of like Dan Brown's books minus the stupid parts).  PLUS, it actually gets the geography and flavor right of San Francisco and Silicon Valley, which as a local is a big plus for me.  I'm more willing to give an author that "willing suspension of disbelief" when s/he gets the checkable, real-world facts right.

I'm currently supposed to be making a type sampler and essay about Baskerville :P which....I haven't written yet...
That book sounds interesting! If I see it I'll pick it up and have a read!

I had written this under my post in General Discussion, because I forgot I was in GD and not the music thread! So I thought I'd put it here, it's in relation to dark Romantic poetry and random stuff :P

"huge sublime cloudy landscapes and mysterious music with a nice modern synth base or something ^u^ Not a style that a lot of people I know are into :P

This video and music comes pretty close, but it's not quite the ultimate mix for me ;3
http://youtu.be/L9SNJC3YcTQ

Two Door Cinema Club's Beacon album has a lovely dark but happy sound too- it was all I listened to when I was making the pieces for my yr 12 exam exhibition :) I don't tend to listen to it a lot now though."

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Engineer student by day, but by night he's........*insert hero name here*!! *and also a guitar riff*
... the Moderator Machine? The Guitar Pick-em-off? Sub-Zero-G? 8)

(Is it noticeable that my work's been imbalanced towards the physical side today?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
... the Moderator Machine? The Guitar Pick-em-off? Sub-Zero-G? 8)

(Is it noticeable that my work's been imbalanced towards the physical side today?)

It's Guitar Pick-em-off, here to save the day. Oh no, dissection movies, bugs and talk about teeth, his great fatal weaknesses!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
It's Guitar Pick-em-off, here to save the day. Oh no, dissection movies, bugs and talk about teeth, his great fatal weaknesses!
Lol, more of a repellent to me than anything.  My true weakness is the kind of unbridled stupidity found on the likes of tumblr and youtube comments.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
Lol, more of a repellent to me than anything.  My true weakness is the kind of unbridled stupidity found on the likes of tumblr and youtube comments.

So troll-fighting's out of the question then?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
So troll-fighting's out of the question then?
Don't forget my thor-admin powers.  I got this ban hammer here reserved for them.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

Guitar Pick-em-Off: Never fear! *awesome guitar* I'm here to save---
Tumblr peep: ah ma gahd I am so offended I refuse to be a damsel in distress only to be saved by a man in lycra this upsets me tag your riffs I've been triggered you say that Not All Men forget to tag riffs but you're part of the problem check your priv--- ahmagahd where are you going you can't leave me here I need help choosing a skirt!
Guitar Pick-em-Off: .......to the hospital....no, the psychiatrist....no, both....

*shudders* the grumpy side of tumblr.... Eeeeeekkk.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
Tumblr peep: ah ma gahd I am so offended I refuse to be a damsel in distress only to be saved by a man in lycra this upsets me tag your riffs I've been triggered you say that Not All Men forget to tag riffs but you're part of the problem check your priv--- ahmagahd where are you going you can't leave me here I need help choosing a skirt!
Guitar Pick-em-Off: .......to the hospital....no, the psychiatrist....no, both....

Thank you for so neatly/ hilariously summing up why I'm not on tumblr.

Also, on topic stuff: listening to a lot of C418 and Laura Shigihara's music lately.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »

Also, on topic stuff: listening to a lot of C418 and Laura Shigihara's music lately.

Oooooh!

Hehe I nearly forgot, "I came out here to have a good time and honestly I'm feeling so attacked right now" u___u

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

Ooooh my gosh that was funny.  Seriously. 
And, yes, that's exactly the kind of inanity I so loathe from that site.  If anyone shows up here with that kind of crap...  I don't handle stupid very well, so I'd probably talk with noako for some sage advice, before doing anything rash...  but I wouldn't like them.

C418 has a very minecrafty/starboundy feel.
Fitting that he's got a minecraft album.  :P

And Laura uses one of the exact same keyboard instruments from the Golden Sun ost, that I don't think I've heard it outside of that one soundtrack.  Either way, since I'm thinking about it, here's a song from my childhood.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2014, 09:13:07 PM »
Also, real quick, this is some incredible organ playing.
He looks so into it!
Feel free to PM.