Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234337 times)

BreezeLouise

Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
"Sakura" - Trad. played by P-O Kindgren. Yes, I know it's a koto piece originally, but... just listen to it!

Kindgren is really amazing. I've been a fan for a few years, but somehow I'm still stunned every time I go back and listen to his stuff. He's extremely talented, of course, but he also consistently manages to get a really great sound. Seems like he really knows what he's doing when it comes to acoustics. And I know this is probably a cliche, but he plays with such feeling, too.

I've also never heard him play this particular piece before, thank you. I love it.
Life is a state of mind.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
Re: Videos/songs
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
Here's something i find so very gringe worthy back from the past that i still for some reason enjoy in some deep level.

Snommelp

« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
Hello musical Minnions! The time is currently 8:45 AM on the east coast of the USA, and in a little more than two hours the church choir that I conduct will be singing a song that I wrote. They've sung music that I've written before, but this one is different. The others were all just me pounding something out real quick for a Sunday where I didn't like anything in our music library. This one was commissioned, and was something in the vicinity of nine months' worth of work and tweaking and stress. And I'm tempted to share the midi of the music from my composer program, except that for whatever reason the program doesn't know how to play grace notes or fermatas. Which is really weird.
Native speaker :usa:
Learning :sweden: :denmark: :norway: :ireland:
Want to learn :finland: :iceland: :wales: :italy: :brazil:
Know a small amount of :germany: :france: :vaticancity:
Professional(ish) musician and theologian

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
This has been a family favorite for a while.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Divra

« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
"Crack", by Rufus Harley.

This man is just incredible. A man who decided that, for playing raga-inspired jazz-funk, the Great Highland Bagpipe was the appropriate instrument, and managed to pull it off. And by "pull it off", I don't mean "OK, cool bro.", I mean "Why is this not a thing?"

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Hello musical Minnions! The time is currently 8:45 AM on the east coast of the USA, and in a little more than two hours the church choir that I conduct will be singing a song that I wrote. They've sung music that I've written before, but this one is different. The others were all just me pounding something out real quick for a Sunday where I didn't like anything in our music library. This one was commissioned, and was something in the vicinity of nine months' worth of work and tweaking and stress.

I'm tempted to share the midi of the music from my composer program, except that for whatever reason the program doesn't know how to play grace notes or fermatas. Which is really weird.

Congratulations -- that's awesome!  I play in my church's handbell choir, where occasionally we've performed a commissioned piece or something one of our more musically gifted members arranged.  (Someday I hope to upgrade my sight-reading and harmony skills, so I could arrange something too.  I'd *never* be able to write something from scratch.)

I'd love to hear your piece.  Is there a recording you could share?  By PM if you don't feel like making it public?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Snommelp

« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »
Congratulations -- that's awesome!  I play in my church's handbell choir, where occasionally we've performed a commissioned piece or something one of our more musically gifted members arranged.  (Someday I hope to upgrade my sight-reading and harmony skills, so I could arrange something too.  I'd *never* be able to write something from scratch.)

I'd love to hear your piece.  Is there a recording you could share?  By PM if you don't feel like making it public?

Once I work my way around the quirks of the program's playback, I'll post a midi  :)

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #277 on: May 04, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
This is not a video but a whole movie... I couldn't think of where else to put it.

I recently watched The Rabbi's Cat and I would like to recommend it to anyone who likes Stand Still, Stay Silent.

Let me enumerate the reasons why:

1.  Cats - check
2.  Halftrack - check
3.  Motley group of adventurers - check
4.  Easygoing large person - check
5.  Excitable skinny person looking for a fight - check
6.  Curvy, intelligent young woman who is never allowed out - check
7.  Hilarious language mixups - check
8.  Coexisting religious views - check
9.  Fear of contamination - check
10.  People showing up unexpectedly in crates - check

.... or am I just obsessed with this comic so I see parallels everywhere?

Hahaha.  Of course not!  That's ridiculous!

>_>
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #278 on: May 04, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
Hey, anyone asked for czech versions of irish/scottish folk songs? no? have them anyway

Asonance's version of Alasdair Mhic Cholla Ghasda (I'm pretty sure the lyrics are just translated, but the original is in scottish gaelic so I can't tell)
((Asonance is reallyreally great I've seen them live about four or five times))

Bratri Nedvedi's version of Star of the County Down (Czech title translates to 'queen of dundrum bay', and the lyrics are about a horse instead of a pretty lady)

the same band's version of Scarborough Fair (I think the lyrics tell pretty much the same story as the original)

Jauvajs has a version of The Foggy Dew which I like a lot, the translated lyrics aren't about revolution but about some dude scamming his boss by buying him a donkey instead of a horse, then getting him drunk enough not to realize. Buuut I can't find the album version on youtube, just a live clip that isn't so good :/

....... I have a lot more celtic songs in czech but they're either originals or I don't know the originals so idk if anyone would be interested in that

and this song isn't a celtic thing, it's just a cool bluegrassey jam I like a lot. It's called "I, the song" and the lyrics are fantastic but my attempt at translating would be absolute butchery I'm sorry
you'll know where to find me.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #279 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Hello musical Minnions! The time is currently 8:45 AM on the east coast of the USA, and in a little more than two hours the church choir that I conduct will be singing a song that I wrote. They've sung music that I've written before, but this one is different. The others were all just me pounding something out real quick for a Sunday where I didn't like anything in our music library. This one was commissioned, and was something in the vicinity of nine months' worth of work and tweaking and stress. And I'm tempted to share the midi of the music from my composer program, except that for whatever reason the program doesn't know how to play grace notes or fermatas. Which is really weird.

Wow, congratulations! I would be very interested in hearing your piece!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Snommelp

« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
Wow, congratulations! I would be very interested in hearing your piece!

Thanks! I think I've figured out how to work around the program's limitations, too. I just need to turn the measure with the fermata into 5/4 time instead of the 3/4 the rest of the piece is in, and turn the grace notes into... probably thirty-second notes? Appended at the end of the previous measure?

...oh, and go through the entire piece and add instructions for piano pedaling, because the program can't make that judgment call in the same way a real, trained piano player can. A real person can see "oh, he's got pedal markings for the first four measures and a note that says 'continue pedaling,' I should maybe keep pedaling in that same pattern." Computer programs, not so much.  :P

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
You could try sixty-fourth notes when they are still not fast enough...if your program let's you. What program are you using?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Snommelp

« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
Musescore. I had been using Sibelius, but then that computer starting having problems and I couldn't get it loaded onto my new laptop.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
Heh, I had exactly the same problem with Capella when the old computer broke. Since then I'm handwriting everything I need (which is fortunately not so much).

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Soooooo, Blooborne is an amazing game.  It also doesn't have any music, except in the only safe zone and during boss fights, but wow, when the soundtrack does come on, it's fantastic. 
Spoiler: Omen • show
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKk6XqcmB4Q&index=1&list=PLKzg0DeoAjD-cGZOEspgvDGpFal8S2aS-[/youtube]

Spoiler: The Hunter • show
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoyKECQnPw&list=PLKzg0DeoAjD-cGZOEspgvDGpFal8S2aS-&index=4[/youtube]

Spoiler: The First Hunter • show
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWpYGuqsHI&index=23&list=PLKzg0DeoAjD-cGZOEspgvDGpFal8S2aS-[/youtube]
Feel free to PM.