Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234182 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
At he moment it's Grai's newst Album "Mlada" all over and over and over again. Really nice stuff, Eluveitie bored me constantly since "Helvetios" so I'm very happy moving on to russion Folkmetal-stuff.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
My choice of music isn't really bright. XD I don't really know a lot of music, so I'm stuck with just the ones I find.
But I love symphonies, especially symphony orchestras. Anything instrumental and orchestral is my absolute favorite. Or music that can calm you down any day. 
I'm going to end up having an already long list of things to listen to, hee hee! :P Not sure if anything I listen to would be great. (Since it's mostly fan made stuff.)

And I almost never pay attention to genres. xD
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
I may have a slight obsession with this song right now.  I've already posted it once, but this is the live version.  This is the only live song that I like, that I can think of.

In other news, Micheal Kiwanuka.  Soothing. 
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:28 AM »
I jump around all the time, but here's a double handful of my default bands.

Vienna Teng
The Hymn of Acxiom
The Last Snowfall

Thanks for all the great links, Skatie-bobatie!  I just finished listening to Vienna Teng's "Hymn of Acxiom" and was 1) delighted -- I'll have to check out more V. Teng music -- and 2) intrigued/amused that according to the Arkansas Business Times, she was inspired to write the song by an internship with the big scary consumer-data-mining firm of the same name.

[Teng] calls the song “sacred music for the age of Big Data.”
The hymn’s lyrics assure the listener that “somebody hears you,” that “you don’t have to hide,” to “let our formulas find your soul” and “now we possess you,” finally asking, “isn’t this what you want?”

Since I'm currently trying to convince various Big Data firms that I, yes I, am the very best person they could possibly hire to handle their marketing communications, I'll have to work that song into my elevator pitch somehow...

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fenris

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »
Someone recently showed me a band called 'Folque', a norwegian folk rock band from the 70s. Their music seems to range from original folk songs to renditions of old folk songs (Sinclair's Song, an old song about Scottish mercenaries who fought for the swedish crown during one of the numerous wars between Denmark-Norway and Sweden, and how they were dealt with by farmers after the Danonorwegian had basically left Norway to fend for itself).

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
I've assembled a soundtrack for the Corps of Discovery's venture into the Silent World.  I intended it to be somewhat in the spirit of "Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix" -- a music collection made by someone here-and-now, which somehow seems to have survived on CD for 90-odd years until it pops up in Our Heroes' vehicle (which also, somehow, seems to have a working CD player). 

The versions on paper and on 8tracks are somewhat different; 8tracks has a more limited repertoire than YouTube, and not all the available tracks have great sound quality.  This is my first venture onto 8tracks -- or any music-sharing service -- but I'm pleasantly surprised that it seems to work! 

I tried to include music from each of the countries represented (including Iceland), and a tribute to each of Our Heroes.  (For example, "Light My Fire" for Emil and "Sounds of Silence" for Lalli.) Still haven't found ideal themes for Captain or Doc (beyond the reference to "my family doctor" in "Good Lovin'."  And I gather the Scandinavian countries all have thriving metal scenes.  But death-metal isn't my thing (though hey, if it's yours, rock on with your bad self).

So I welcome any edits/improvement to this playlist.  Or better yet, compile your own!

BTW: Does anyone know anything about this Haraldur Örn Haraldsson guy, who seems to specialize in sunshine pop?  Have I unknowingly included the Icelandic Justin Bieber...? 

8tracks Radio listing: http://8tracks.com/sunflower411/ssss-road-trip 

Text/YouTube version (longer)

Dawggy Mountain / “Car Talk” Theme (David Grisman Quintet)

On the Road Again (Willie Nelson)

Born to be Wild (Steppenwolf)
/>
The Way (Fastball)

Baby, You Can Drive My Car (Beatles)

Hot Rod Lincoln (Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen) 

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena (Jan & Dean)
/>
Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen (cover by the cast of Passion – Wallmans 2008)
(plus amusing bonus video by Pilou Asbæk for Eurovision 2014)
/>
Motorcycle (Rhea feat. Pharrell Williams)

Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now (Hairspray)

Komdu Með / “Come With Me” (Haraldur Örn Haraldsson) 

Take On Me (a-ha)

Airstream Driver (Gomez)

Money, Money, Money (ABBA)

Runnin’ Down a Dream (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
/>
Laulutyttö (Värttinä)

Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen) 

Mystery Train (Elvis Presley)

Waterloo (ABBA)

Sausalito Summernight (Diesel)

Light My Fire (The Doors)

The Sound of Silence (Paul Simon/Bobaflex cover version)

Good Lovin’ (The Young Rascals)

Matalii ja mustii (Värttinä)

Cliché Love Song (Basim, Eurovision 2014)

SOS (ABBA)

Road to Nowhere (Talking Heads)

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 11:51:10 PM »
Just gave my second lesson to my roommate on playing guitar.   :D
Teaching him a super simple song (ignoring the more complex bits, of course) that sounds pretty good.  Going pretty well so far, and it's very interesting to teach somebody.  He's eager enough to learn, and I'm enjoying showing him how it works and how to use his hands.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »
My 11-year-old nephew has been studying acoustic guitar for a little over a year, and is focusing on classic rock.  He and some friends have already performed "Hotel California" for a school recital.  (He's pretty good, for a kid -- certainly better than his father, my middle brother, was at that age.)

Now my nephew is looking for relatively simple rock/pop songs he can learn to play that will yield maximum ROI in tips when he becomes a street performer.  Any suggestions?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
My 11-year-old nephew has been studying acoustic guitar for a little over a year, and is focusing on classic rock.  He and some friends have already performed "Hotel California" for a school recital.  (He's pretty good, for a kid -- certainly better than his father, my middle brother, was at that age.)

Now my nephew is looking for relatively simple rock/pop songs he can learn to play that will yield maximum ROI in tips when he becomes a street performer.  Any suggestions?
Oasis has a lot of songs that can do well in street performing.  They're mostly a simple chords, with a few variations, and have a quick enough tempo to catch peoples' ears.  He'll probably need some accompaniment, or improvise some changes to keep it interesting; Oasis kept a lot of their guitar pieces a bit too standard, sometimes.  Something like "Wonderwall," or "Talk Tonight," might be good.  Those are links to the tablature pages, not the songs, but he should definitely listen to the songs beforehand.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Song 1:  Plasma cowboys in space
Song 2:  Ra- Ra- Rasputin!.  Found this with the gif and thought I should share it.  This will be in my head all week.  Highly recommend looking up the lyrics...
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »
Rasputin!!!<3 Oh man, I'd forgotten that song! Used to be my ringtone once upon a time. I've memorized those lyrics XD

Piano player who's been my inspiration for years and years now: Marasy8
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:52 AM »
Rasputin!!!<3 Oh man, I'd forgotten that song! Used to be my ringtone once upon a time. I've memorized those lyrics XD

Oh, that'd make an awesome ringtone.  Ooooohh, but I've got one I really like right now... maybe one day, though. 
The 70s must have been all kinds of awesome.
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »

If you like Marasy8's style (or good piano playing in general), you might also like musicalbasics'.

Other youtube musicians I also like are Adrian von Ziegler, Axl Rosenberg and TPR.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 05:50:39 AM »
Song 1:  Plasma cowboys in space
Song 2:  Ra- Ra- Rasputin!.  Found this with the gif and thought I should share it.  This will be in my head all week.  Highly recommend looking up the lyrics...

The Boney M song looks much cooler with this amazing dance accompaniment.
As for the gif set the full original animation set to Voodoo people by the Prodigy is also amazing.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
The Boney M song looks much cooler with this amazing dance accompaniment.
As for the gif set the full original animation set to Voodoo people by the Prodigy is also amazing.
Yep, I saw that dancing one too, haha.  My stringy white butt can't ever hope to be that good at dancing.  :'(
That was beautiful.  That ending, haha!
Feel free to PM.