Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234332 times)

Lallipop

Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
Here's a few that have caught my attention lately!

Starfall • Thomas Bergersen

Avalanches • IAMX (this one always makes me cry  :'()

S.E.O.U.L • Girls' Generation & Super Junior
Ignore the fact that SJ is in this. Otherwise, this song really motivates me and reminds me of my younger days as a KPOP fan. <3

D. Weg

• Super-Newbie
  • SSSS, filk, band, flute, cats, Irish music
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
I either listen to unfamiliar band pieces I am trying to learn for the Seed and Feed Marching Abominable (seedandfeed.org), or various filk music I've accumulated.  Lately, it's been Jeff and Maya Bohnhoff (http://jeffandmaya.com/), and their spot-on parodies of modern rock.  Their two CDs I am currently wearing out are "Grated Hits" (kind of cheesy), and "Retro Rocket Science."

They are far, far above the level of usual filkers, so "Don't Panic, in Big Friendly Letters."

My favorite line, from "Baba McDonald's" on Grated Hits, takes "Teen-age waste-land" to "Mid-age waist-band."  ;D  I'm just *that* frivolous, a total lightweight!
That's not online, so here is another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl_-ol7_uJU
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:17:45 PM by D. Weg »

Varjohaltia

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »
Lately i have been stuck listening to finnish rock from the 80's

/>
/>
We had some great musicians back in the day, sometimes i feel i would have fit in better back then.

Considering the 5 million Finns, there is some ludicrously good stuff.

Add Hector, Juice Leskinen, Yö, Popeda, Hassisen Kone, Rauli Badding Somerjoki, Tapio Rautavaara, Kotiteollisuus, CMX, Dingo and good grief this list could get long.

...aside from the awesome metal and EDM scene.

Since there's no way to pick one from the huge amount, I'll throw in a Finnish band singing in English in Japan, just because I like it and the world needs more Sonata Arctica, and they're a lot of fun live.

:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
Considering the 5 million Finns, there is some ludicrously good stuff.

Add Hector, Juice Leskinen, Yö, Popeda, Hassisen Kone, Rauli Badding Somerjoki, Tapio Rautavaara, Kotiteollisuus, CMX, Dingo and good grief this list could get long.

...aside from the awesome metal and EDM scene.

Since there's no way to pick one from the huge amount, I'll throw in a Finnish band singing in English in Japan, just because I like it and the world needs more Sonata Arctica, and they're a lot of fun live.

/>

And thats not to even mention the wide cavalcade of Heavy metal bands ranging from: Children of Bodom, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Finntrol and others like them.

My favorite of the buch these days i think is Korpiklaani since they mix kalevala, classical instruments and Metal to an amazing mix of Folk sounding music that really gets you pumped up.

/>
and for the English listeners who prefer their songs in english.

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
So, given the recent events of SSSS, this has been running through my head: Dead Milkmen - If you Love Someone, Set Them On Fire
/>
And recently it has been throwback to the 90s time.

Kristin Hersh - A Cleaner Light
/>
Sheryl Crow - Maybe That's Something
/>
Liz Phair - Glory
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:50:08 AM by starfallz »
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
So, given the recent events of SSSS, this has been running through my head: Dead Milkmen - If you Love Someone, Set Them On Fire
/>

As for me it's Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire.

Might be appropriate, Admiral All-Caps won't be appreciative if there's no Copenhagen left for him to reclaim.

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »
Here's one Finnish song that has been playing on repeat in my brain for a few days now :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MBFtbPpl9A  Peppi Polviander - Aavaa

there's lyrics in the video(although they do have some slight mistakes at times, e.g. in the chorus the word is actually "venettä", not "kyynelettä", but otherwise it's good)
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Are there any fans of Gorillaz here? Because they are going to start making music again and I am SO PUMPED

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
Are there any fans of Gorillaz here? Because they are going to start making music again and I am SO PUMPED
*raises hand*
I saw your avatar and wondered if it was Gorillaz-related.  I didn't know they were writing again, but it'll be fun to hear what they come up with. 
I'm not in much of a mood to get pumped right now, but that is definitely good news.
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
*raises hand*
I saw your avatar and wondered if it was Gorillaz-related.  I didn't know they were writing again, but it'll be fun to hear what they come up with. 
I'm not in much of a mood to get pumped right now, but that is definitely good news.

Haha, yeah, I drew myself in the Gorillaz art style yesterday when I couldn't sleep cx

I used to be totally addicted to their music, but for some reason I never really listened to Plastic Beach. But I've been making up for that now by listening to it pretty much all the time now that my love for them has been rediscovered. Also, Rhinestone Eyes. I've been listening to that song on repeat for something like 4 hours now O_O

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
Haha, yeah, I drew myself in the Gorillaz art style yesterday when I couldn't sleep cx

I used to be totally addicted to their music, but for some reason I never really listened to Plastic Beach. But I've been making up for that now by listening to it pretty much all the time now that my love for them has been rediscovered. Also, Rhinestone Eyes. I've been listening to that song on repeat for something like 4 hours now O_O
19-2000 and Dare were my two repeat-forever songs, not including the ones they had that were really popular.  I listened to those a lot, too.  :/  But the music video for Dare is fantastic.  So weird and unusual, with just Noodle dancing around and a giant, mechanized, human head attached to the floor.
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
19-2000 and Dare were my two repeat-forever songs, not including the ones they had that were really popular.  I listened to those a lot, too.  :/  But the music video for Dare is fantastic.  So weird and unusual, with just Noodle dancing around and a giant, mechanized, human head attached to the floor.

Dare was the song that first got me into Gorillaz c: We had the song on singstar, and the music video really fascinated me. Of course, all their music videos are awesome, but that one is really lovely.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »

Okay, you guys gotta help me out here. I've listened to "On Melancholy Hill" (after initially seeing a gif from the music video and getting interested) and I REALLY LIKE IT but like, I don't usually listen to rap music? Like, ever? And I'm told Gorillaz vary their style quite a bit from song to song and album to album...

So, can you like, give me an overview? What do I listen to? What's good?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:19 AM »
Okay, you guys gotta help me out here. I've listened to "On Melancholy Hill" (after initially seeing a gif from the music video and getting interested) and I REALLY LIKE IT but like, I don't usually listen to rap music? Like, ever? And I'm told Gorillaz vary their style quite a bit from song to song and album to album...

Well, like I said earlier, I really like Rhinestone Eyes. It's not exactly rap but he's like... talking the lyrics? 2D does that a lot. Personally I also think Feel Good Inc is very awesome, but it has rap, so if you didn't like that then maybe not. There's a lot of good songs, really. I'll try to write you a list of some of my favourite songs that don't have too much rap in them:

Rhinestone Eyes (Plastic Beach)
Empire Ants (Plastic Beach)
Broken (Plastic Beach)
To Binge (Plastic Beach)
Kids With Guns (Demon Days)
El Manana (Demon Days)
Every Planet We Reach Is Dead (Demon Days)
5/4 (Gorillaz)
Tomorrow Comes Today (Gorillaz)
19/2000 (Gorillaz)

The thing with Gorillaz is that their style is very unusual, so sometimes you have to listen to a song a few times before you really begin to like it. And like you said, their style varies a lot, so I thinik you'll just have to listen to some of their music and find out for yourself what you like ;3

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:16 AM »

I don't listen to much rap either, except Gorillaz.  They make it good.  They have a lot of rap and techno elements, and a really unique style.  Very creative band.  Also, the members of the band are... animated?  They don't even represent actual people, they're just characters. 

Dare - <3  Melancholic Techno-funk. 
Clint Eastwood - Easily their biggest song.  Just fantastic. 
Feel Good Inc. - A Mega-hit from the early 2000s, with rap juxtaposed against a sad, thoughtful chorus. 

Well, like I said earlier, I really like Rhinestone Eyes. It's not exactly rap but he's like... talking the lyrics? 2D does that a lot. Personally I also think Feel Good Inc is very awesome, but it has rap, so if you didn't like that then maybe not. There's a lot of good songs, really. I'll try to write you a list of some of my favourite songs that don't have too much rap in them:

Rhinestone Eyes (Plastic Beach)
Empire Ants (Plastic Beach)
Broken (Plastic Beach)
To Binge (Plastic Beach)
Kids With Guns (Demon Days)
El Manana (Demon Days)
Every Planet We Reach Is Dead (Demon Days)
5/4 (Gorillaz)
Tomorrow Comes Today (Gorillaz)
19/2000 (Gorillaz)

The thing with Gorillaz is that their style is very unusual, so sometimes you have to listen to a song a few times before you really begin to like it. And like you said, their style varies a lot, so I thinik you'll just have to listen to some of their music and find out for yourself what you like ;3
All of this, basically.  I listed some of the bigger ones, which I like more for whatever reason, but they've got some fun stuff all over the place. 

Edit:  I think the art style is worth mentioning as well.  The animation is really nice to watch, and done by the artist who made "Tank Girl."  Really creepy, cool stuff. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:36:07 AM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.