Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234406 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
Sharing because I must: SomaFM has their Christmas channels up!

If you're one of the many terribly sad people who have not yet heard of SomaFM, they're an internet radio station--or collection of stations, rather. And they are awesome. At the moment they have 32 stations (four are Christmas and won't be around for long), each one different and impeccably DJ'd with music you've never heard before but really should have. They have everything from electronica to industrial ambient to country western. They even have a station that plays nothing but covers!

They have, as I said, four different Christmas stations right now for your perusal, each with their own flavor of Christmas music: quirky and occasionally offensive, chillout/lounge, indie/alternative, and vintage soul. They're perfect for those of us who can't get into the mood for Christmas unless there's holiday music playing in the background all the time.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
What I've been listening to lately (various flavors of ambient):

Hammock - Ten Thousand Years Won't Save Your Life if for some reason you haven't heard of Hammock yet

Random Forest - Hibernation

Sleeping at Last - Arctic

Talvihorros - The Two Great Lights

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2014, 09:38:09 PM »
I discovered that there are OST tracks out already for The Wild Hunt already, and they are good. Really good.
Am notified of private messages via email.

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »
the people in the chat yesterday talked a bit about metal (of the softer kind):
Here's the links from my browser's history

enslaved - havenless
in extremo - Her Mannelig
Haggard - Herr Mannelig
Glittertind - En stille morgen 1349
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
These damn lyrics are the most poetic I think I've ever heard.

Josh Ritter - Moons
Josh Ritter - The Curse
Josh Ritter - The Temptation of Adam  I get something new out of this one every time I listen to it... Just... incredible.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Getting lost.
Helios - Coast Off
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
I cannot think of anymore words to say, so just have the music:

From The Mouth Of The Sun - Like Shadows In An Empty Cathedral

Deirdre

« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Yay, a Music Thread is something I always look for at the beginning, I can feel safe in here. :)

Attending music school for all the time of school-education, and *pretending* to study musicology, listening to classical music is something I more-or-less do for a living. So I listen to tones of it, and I'm a snob, a very talkative snob.
Also, I love folk music of any kind, except Latin American maybe (sorry! though there are songs I like). I listen to reggae, indie and rock, and anything really. I enjoy ambient (mithrysc, your last post is gold BTW) and film soundtracks as wallpaper-music, too.

The whole week I listen to Sympathy for Lady Vengeance OST (especially the piece from 02:23 to 04:10). It sounds like winter and snow to me.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:25 AM »
Thread needs more Jakubi!
Jakubi - Couch Potato

These guys are really new. They've only got 4 songs, right now, that they've released over the last year, but I think they've got a lot going for them (I mean, they do the Peter Frampton thing!  How awesome is that!?).  I found this song last week and it made me happy as can be!
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2014, 03:15:53 AM »
I was watching Bee and Puppycat the other day, and I just love the way Puppycat speaks X') it's so cool! Anywho, I was scrolling along and found a guitar version of the little song he sings, and I thought it was pretty neat :)
http://youtu.be/XlsSpfPgOGA
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
Watching an imaginary sunset.
NOMADS - Walking by Lamplight

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
Mithrysc used a Revive!

MONO - Where We Begin

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Lately i have been stuck listening to finnish rock from the 80's

/>
/>
We had some great musicians back in the day, sometimes i feel i would have fit in better back then.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:11 AM »
More soundtracks~ Persona 3 and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

*wishes fervently for more money so she can buy the games and for time so she can play them*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Armchair Survivalist

« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
Considering the Scandinavian theme of this forum, here are some tunes from Sweden - in Swedish. Those of you who appreciate languages might be intrested hearing how very different Swedish can sound. Most of the stuff here is 10-20 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKlyamsftHQ
De lyckliga kompisarna ("The Happy Pals") is a punk band which is still around. This is probably one of their most popular songs: "Ishockeyfrisyr" ("Mullet haircut").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfFvW0fYxM
Lillasyster ("Little Sister") is a rock band from Gothenburg. "Berätta det för Lina" ("Tell it to Lina") is pretty typical for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6vvD6o-Es
Laleh was born in Iran, but came to Sweden as a child. She has been praised for her songs in Swedish, English and Farsi. This one, "Snö" ("Snow") has subtitled lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaM_0PGmqGc
Imperiet ("The Empire"), a rock/punk band, recorded their version of the late 18th century song "Märk hur vår skugga" ("Note how our shadow"), and got a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kwAnk-d6s
Swedish rappers Just D ("Right S(o)") made an impact by rapping in Swedish when everyone else tried to sound like the cool US rappers. "Grannar" is a song about troublesome neighbours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zqoUy0b3eI
Bo Kaspers Orkester kinda wrote the soundtrack for Stockholm in the 90's - their songs were heard in every bar and store (or so it seemed). Their jazzy style is pretty laidback, and the texts are often wry and bittersweet, like "Hon är så söt" ("She is so pretty"), a song about the perfect relationship with the perfect girlfriend - by the singer's logic nothing so perfect can prevail, and thus doomed to fail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3R0JF25bGQ
"Balladen om Theobald Thor" ("The Ballad of Theobald Thor") is a dirty little ditty about a well-hung drum major. I once heard it sung by a nude young woman in a mixed sauna - a moment to remember and cherish! And no, I won't provide the lyrics.

Well, this is but a small sample of modern(ish) Swedish music. I hope you enjoy it!

Fluent: :sweden: :usa: :uk:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:
Read better than speak: :germany: