Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 234155 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:03 AM »
OH oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh have you heard the Kikujiro soundtrack? Also by Hisaishi-sensei? It was for a live action film so it's not as well known as the ones he's done for Miyazaki's films, but it is my favorite sountrack he's done--no, my favorite music he's done, period. Look up the track Summer (I'm on a phone, or I'd link it for you). Go ahead, I'll wait while you listen and spasm with joy.

YES I HAVE AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL<3 It's one of my favourite Hisaishi OSTs :D I won't go so far as to say it's my absolute favourite (I have memories linked to the others, and if I really had to choose, Porco Rosso or Howl's Moving Castle would win), but it is beautiful. I especially liked Rain, for some reason... I'd like to see the film one day, but it's hard to get here.
Am notified of private messages via email.

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2014, 05:12:41 AM »
YES I HAVE AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL<3 It's one of my favourite Hisaishi OSTs :D I won't go so far as to say it's my absolute favourite (I have memories linked to the others, and if I really had to choose, Porco Rosso or Howl's Moving Castle would win), but it is beautiful. I especially liked Rain, for some reason... I'd like to see the film one day, but it's hard to get here.

aww man, but have you listened to okuribito ("departures"), hana-bi ("fireworks"), or watashi wa kai ni naritai ("i want to be a shellfish," i know, i don't really know either)? okuribito has to go on record as probably my favourite album hands down, in addition to being my favourite hisaishi piece.
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »
aww man, but have you listened to okuribito ("departures"), hana-bi ("fireworks"), or watashi wa kai ni naritai ("i want to be a shellfish," i know, i don't really know either)? okuribito has to go on record as probably my favourite album hands down, in addition to being my favourite hisaishi piece.

I have, actually!~ And though I love them, too... well, it's the combination of story and music that makes me have the greater love for the music, I suppose. It's why I love OSTs so much. And that's why Porco Rosso, most definitely, has the most beautiful music to me. That story has themes in it that touch me personally very closely, and music that fits those themes fantastically. And as an OST, it has a very nice variation of music that works together very well. Howl's Moving Castle's OST touches me in the same way, which is why it is a close second favourite (and while Porco has a really textured and mature magical feel to it, Howl has a sophisticated magical feeling, which I like in a different way). It will probably stay that way until I myself am changed, or Hisaishi makes something new that touches me more deeply.

Speaking of OSTs, if someone here has not listened to the first three Harry Potter soundtracks, I recommend you do so as soon as possible. Especially The Prisoner of Azkaban. John Williams is a masterful composer, and he rose to new heights in that one. And check out The Order of the Phoenix's soundtracks, too - though the rest of the soundtracks after John Williams didn't impress me much at all, that one did. The music fit really well with the characters, heheh... especially Umbridge. That film also had brilliant casting... Also, check out Hugo. Easily one of my most favourite soundtracks in the world - done by Howard Shore, same composer of the Tolkien films.

Edit: Pentatonix. If you haven't heard of them yet, congratulations, you have a lot of good a cappella music to go through.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:34:23 AM by Lenny »

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Edit: Pentatonix. If you haven't heard of them yet, congratulations, you have a lot of good a cappella music to go through.

Dieses video ist nicht verfügbar.
Das tut uns leid.
:-\
So much for that.

Anyways.
I've had enough of Darker Than Black for a short while, and dived into Zankyou no Terror instead for a change. (still talking about soundtracks btw)
And I must say, it's amazing. I'm a bit disappointed about the OP, Trigger, but the ending...
Probably used to DTB by now, upon reading the title Dare ka, umi wo I expected something generic jpop-ish, along the lines of Gravity at best, or rather Yakusoku wa Iranai.
What I got instead, was this.
Just... *insert emoticon with open-mouth-out-of-awe-because-I'm-too-lazy-to-search-something-like-that* ... woah.
And now I can't get it out of my head.
I'm also mildly obsessed with Von, and it might make me learn Icelandic eventually... maybe.
I think I really need to watch the series, additionally it seems to only have 11 episodes, I guess I can squeeze it in somewhere.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
So much for that.

Anyways.
I've had enough of Darker Than Black for a short while, and dived into Zankyou no Terror instead for a change. (still talking about soundtracks btw)
And I must say, it's amazing. I'm a bit disappointed about the OP, Trigger, but the ending...
Probably used to DTB by now, upon reading the title Dare ka, umi wo I expected something generic jpop-ish, along the lines of Gravity at best, or rather Yakusoku wa Iranai.
What I got instead, was this.
Just... *insert emoticon with open-mouth-out-of-awe-because-I'm-too-lazy-to-search-something-like-that* ... woah.
And now I can't get it out of my head.
I'm also mildly obsessed with Von, and it might make me learn Icelandic eventually... maybe.
I think I really need to watch the series, additionally it seems to only have 11 episodes, I guess I can squeeze it in somewhere.

I recommend this to solve the not available in this country thing.

Oh man that song is stunning. Reminds me a little of Regina Spektor, but ooooh. So good! I might have to watch the anime now, too. Been deliberating on that for a while, actually - it looks interesting, though potentially depressing. (Which is why I've been putting it off - Shiki is still affecting me, and that was months back. Not in an aargh-that-was-so-scary-and-so-sad way (it wasn't at all, to me at least), but in a let's-reflect-about-the-human-condition-and-start-thinking-about-cynical-and-depressing-philosophical-thoughts type of way.)

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
I recommend this to solve the not available in this country thing.

Oh man that song is stunning. Reminds me a little of Regina Spektor, but ooooh. So good! I might have to watch the anime now, too. Been deliberating on that for a while, actually - it looks interesting, though potentially depressing. (Which is why I've been putting it off - Shiki is still affecting me, and that was months back. Not in an aargh-that-was-so-scary-and-so-sad way (it wasn't at all, to me at least), but in a let's-reflect-about-the-human-condition-and-start-thinking-about-cynical-and-depressing-philosophical-thoughts type of way.)
First: it didn't even say "not available in your country", just "not available"...
Anyways, thanks for the link, that actually worked, I thought... Now there's an error...  :-\

Second: I know, right?

Third: So far I know that's exactly what this will be about... Guess I should prepare handkerchieves and my teddy bear...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Fenris

« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
Watched 'Da KORK kom til bygda' (When the National Orchestra came to the village) on the norwegian state channel yesterday, which is basically comedians and the like finding three musicians/band in a village and having them perform with the orchestra. The one yesterday had a really good irish folk band. Irish folk with an orchestra sounds surprisingly good.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Let's talk about Gamelan.

You may have never seen that word before, but, if you're an anime fan, chances are you heard gamelan music before without even knowing what it was.

Indeed, my own first contact with gamelan, like that of many other people, was this piece of soundtrack from a very famous animated film:

/>
This isn't exactly pure gamelan (the church organ/synth is pretty incongruous, for instance), but it's a good introduction. When I acquired this soundtrack, I was fascinated by these shimmering, vibraphone-like sounds, because it sounded like no instrument I knew of.

At the time, I thought this was traditional japanese music —a belief reinforced by the fact that the rest of the soundtrack does, in place, use traditional japanese music (notably shomyo (japanese buddhist chant) and kabuki theater music).

But when I later looked into authentic traditional japanese music, I found many things I liked, but nothing that sounded remotedly like that.

Until I learned that this wasn't a genre of japanese music at all, but instead that it originated in Indonesia and was called "gamelan". Futhermore, I learned that, much like western classical music, gamelan wasn't so much a genre, but an entire collection of related genres, with many different forms and many different variations, with important historical and even geographical differences between the genres —they don't play the same genres in Java and in Bali (heck, they don't play the same genres in western and central Java!)

So what is gamelan? Gamelan is the classical music of Indonesia; it seems to have existed for a long time, and much like western classical music was often very functional, coming in various shapes and forms for many aspects of western life, so too does gamelan: there is gamelan for religious ceremonies, gamelan for feasts, gamelan for marching military bands, gamelan for court ceremonies, gamelan to accompany dances…

Gamelan is generally characterised by the instruments it uses: tuned percussions of many sorts. However, the true defining feature of gamelan is its musical structure, made of melodic-rythmic line that appear simple at first glance, but can in fact be quite complex when you look at what each individual instrument is doing; another defining trait of gamelan is the specific scales it uses, which are quite different from that of western music. Following these criteria, it is possible to have gamelan ensembles that don't have tuned percussions at all, and conversely, there are other genres of music in south-east asia that use instruments typical of gamelan but aren't considered to be stylistically part of gamelan music (common non-percussion instruments in gamelan include the suling (flute), the rebab (fiddle) and the celempung (zither)).

Nonetheless, most gamelan ensembles do use tuned percussions extensively.

Fun fact, the word "gong" comes from the Malay/Indonesian language.

-----

Ok so, let's look at balinese genres of gamelan (because those are the ones I like the most).

Balinese gamelan tends to be very energetic and fast paced, with large ensemble of instruments where each instrument is doubled —the instruments of each pair are slightly off-key from each other, which create the typical shimmering sound of balinese gamelan. Here's a short overview of a few genres.

Gong gede:
/>
Gong gede is a form of ceremonial gamelan that is almost extinct. I'm not sure this particular track is quite typical, since it seems to include reed instruments that are normally not found in Indonesian music but what the heck, it's a really awesome song, this is the song that really got me into gamelan.

Gong kebyar:
/>
Gong kebyar is the most popular genre of gamelan in Bali. It's really fast-paced and energetic genre.

Jegog:
/>
Jegog is a genre of gamelan that eschew the metallophones for bamboo percussions (some of which get so imposing that the musicians have to stand on a platform over the instrument in order to play it), giving it a very distinctive sound (this genre was also featured in the soundtrack of Akira). I tend to find jegog a bit repetitive, but this track is really nice.

Beleganjur:
/>
A genre of gamelan for military marching band, complete with group choregraphy!

Gender wayang:
/>
A minimalist form, with only two or four instruments. Used in many contexts, but notably shadow puppet theater.

-----

I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I do.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
*insert information here*

-----

I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I do.

Due to going to school in Australia and taking Indonesian for the first five years of primary school, I do actually know about that type of music! But, as with most things learnt in primary school, the information had acquired a camouflaging coat of dust. Thank you for reviving it, and my interest in the music :D

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
More post-rock gloriousness.  I don't think I posted about this group yet, but they have some good stuff.  This Will Destroy You - Quiet
Just found something neat, too.  Marble Sounds - Good Occasions

Lastly, a video of adorable baby foxes playing with a dog, to the song, "Douce France."  I have no idea what's being said, but it fits well and I like it.  Also, sealing the deal here, the dog has a Ville tail.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2014, 01:01:26 AM »
Lastly, a video of adorable baby foxes playing with a dog, to the song, "Douce France."  I have no idea what's being said, but it fits well and I like it.  Also, sealing the deal here, the dog has a Ville tail.

Awwww!  Yes, I love the little foxes playing with "mom's" curly tail!

BTW, the music is nostalgic fluff about "sweet France, the country of my childhood, the village where I grew up, the lane where I walked to school," etc.  I know our Forum has several native French speakers but I'm not sure they could add much more re: the lyrics. and one of them just schooled me.  Given the wartime context, I'm sure this song was much more than "nostalgic fluff" for its listeners.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:26:18 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2014, 05:14:29 AM »
Lyrics in French, along with an English version : http://muzikum.eu/fr/127-6867-217782/charles-trenet/douce-france-anglais-traduction.html
Good to know : this song is from 1943, a time when there was hardly something like a 'Douce France'...
Good to know, too (and 2): 'douce France' is a very old expression, dating back to the medieval 'Chanson de Roland' (a chanson de geste; kind of a saga, since we're going Nordic :) ). It was then written 'France la doulce'.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:50:47 AM by FrogEater »
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
While listening to some of the post-rock gloriousness, You-tube's stalkerish behavior recommended me videos of songs I listened to (quite some time ago, I might add), and so have some Daughter, specifically the b-side Run.

Oh, and on a similar topic, thank you whoever recommended Vienna Teng. I never knew that one of my favorite songs would be about data mining.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »

Esko Oksanen

• "I'M A CLEANSER!" *shoots potato at wilderness*
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Finnish Sami Folk music lately.
So far, my favorite is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WW3D5a_TU
Fluent: :usa: :mexico:
Okay: ---
Terrible: :japan:
Learning: ---
Can teach: :usa:, :mexico:
Want to learn: :finland:, :sweden:, :norway:, :iceland: