Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 232219 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
Haha  :)

No problem at all! And I have to thank you for linking The Cinematic Orchestra, that piece is absolutely breathtaking.
*Sigh*  I love that song.  It sounds quite a bit like the intro theme to Downton Abbey, which is a good thing.

Oh, and for anyone interested, Helios = Keith Kenniff = Goldmund.  Keith Kennif is his real name, and the one he uses for making money with songs for commercials and things like that.  Goldmund is the moniker he uses for his piano music.  There is one other thing... but the videos are almost unwatchable because they all focus around a neat camera trick that's a little nauseating.
Feel free to PM.

coatandbutton

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
I mostly listen game music and other instrumental BGMs, but my absolute favorite song right now is the main theme from How to Train your Dragon.

I absolutely love the HTTYD soundtrack too! The soaring music is perfect for the flight sequences and it just gives this sense of unbridled freedom and exhilaration. One of the best (if not THE best) movie soundtracks in my opinion...another favourite would be LOTR though :)

Skatiebobatie

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »
I jump around all the time, but here's a double handful of my default bands.

Dead Can Dance
The Host of Seraphim
Rakim

Beirut
In the Mausoleum
Scenic World

Vienna Teng
The Hymn of Acxiom
The Last Snowfall

The Shins
Turn A Square
Pink Bullets

Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer
Just Like A Chap
Straight Out of Surrey

Daft Punk
Tron Legacy soundtrack

Gorillaz
19-2000
Clint Eastwood

Aqualung
Cinderella
Easier To Lie

Muse
Knights of Cydonia
Starlight

Andrew Bird
Imitosis
Armchairs

"Oh, bother," sighed the Borg. "We've just assimilated Pooh."

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 02:38:50 AM »

Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer
Just Like A Chap
Straight Out of Surrey

Loved these! =D I can see one of my favorite songs, Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk), really has been inspired by Mr. B.

Edit Thanks to a facebook friend I just found one new group to like: the Danish Krauka.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:44:53 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Sharion

• Scout
  • Proud lunatic and Meanister of Word-Spinning
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Soooo many good suggestions, and I had a day off today. Sunflower, Eich and Fenris: that music you recommended is splendid. I think I'll spend this night on Youtube. Yep, sometimes I think insomnia is my best friend. :D

I love music almost as much as reading (the only style I absolutely don't like is techno). It's almost as hard to chose just some favourites as it would be doing the same with my most precious books.

When in the mood for an Apocalypse:
Dragonforce: Starfire; Through The Fire And Flames; Blackfire (The pattern's probably a starting pyromania.)
My Chemical Romance: Desolation Row (The band isn't that great, but this one song is perfect to be at the end of Watchmen. Now, that's a good movie with well-chosen music. The comic it was made from is one of the few I like from DC.)
Stratovarius: Eagleheart; Paradise; Hunting High and Low
In Mode feat Juliette: The Last Unicorn (It's the cover of the theme of a cartoon by the same title, that was based on a really good book from Peter S. Beagle. Also, it's the only one I heard from the author.)
Cindy Lauper: Time After Time
Lordi: Blood Red Sandman
Yuki Kajiura: A Song of Storm and Fire (I haven't listened to modern Japanese music until a friend sent me this link. It surprised me.)

For waking up:
Celtic Legacy: Guardian Angel
Khymera: Borderline
Húzzad csak kivilágos virradatig (It's a song from "Csárdás Queen", an operetta. I tried to leave out songs in Hungarian, but I like this one too much for that. It was hard to find even a not-so-bad quality of it version on Youtube.)

When fully awake and want to stay that way:
Van Canto: The Mission (They mostly just do covers using only drums. See for yourself. ;) )
Sonata Arctica: The Cage (Okay, they were mentioned before, but not this song.)
Rednex: Ride The Hurricane's Eye (Old times, old times, when I bought a *casette*. This is a newer song.)
Dreamtale: Lady Dragon
Live and Learn (Sonic Game Theme)
Nowhere Fast (Streets of Fire Soundtrack. Now, *that* is an OLD movie. Meaning: bad story, good music.)
Hammerfall: Stronger Than All
Xandria: Sisters of the Light
Delain: The Gathering
Valami Amerika (Movie Theme Song)
Avantasia: The Looking Glass; The Story Ain't Over; Another Angel Down; Memory (I love that they tell a story with their songs.)

When a little tired:
ENYA: Wild Child (Her songs are soothing like a long swim in a lake.)
Blackmore's Night: Olde Village Lanterne; Rainbow Blues; Street of Dreams; Writing On The Wall (Or anything from them.)
The Ataris: So Long Astoria
Ten: We Rule the Night
Loreena McKennitt: Stolen Child
Lullacry: Don't Touch The Flame (Don't watch, just listen. :) )

Maybe not the deepest ones, but still fun to listen to:
Heather Alexander: Pour Your Brother One More Round
"Mercedes Lackey": Racous, Rude and Rowdy (She's actually a writer, with a series of fantasy books for young adults. And some sci-fi, if I remember well.)
Ska-P: El Gato Lopez
Run With Us (Remember the cartoon 'The Raccoons'?)
Bryan Bowels: The Scotsman
Take To The Sky (Guardians Soundtrack)
What Is This Feeling?; Defying Gravity (from Wicked)

Oh, and some good parodies to go with SSSS:
/>
/>
I can't place Wagner, Vivaldi or Liszt Ferenc anywhere; they are too colourful. Sorry for writing so long a post, I cut it at least four times. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:00:03 PM by Sharion »
Survived so far:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8: :chap9:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Soooo many good suggestions, and I had a day off today. Sunflower, Eich and Fenris: that music you recommended is splendid.

Aww, thanks!  I'm afraid my musical tastes are 1) archaic and 2) narrow, so I'm always tickled if someone else likes something I recommend.  By the same token, I'm eager to sample all the great suggestions everyone else has made so far.  I'm not really a "metal" fan, but that still leaves a lot of room.

I can't place Wagner, Vivaldi or Liszt Ferenc anywhere; they are too colourful. Sorry for writing so long a post, I cut it at least four times. :)

Never apologize for being enthusiastic!  Share some links and we'll be all over them.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »
Feel free to PM.

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
I personally like listening to Nightmare And The Cat and Linkin Park.
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

Sharion

• Scout
  • Proud lunatic and Meanister of Word-Spinning
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
I'm afraid my musical tastes are 1) archaic and 2) narrow, so I'm always tickled if someone else likes something I recommend.

I know how you feel. I had a phase when I was really into folk music, especially zither. It was annoying that noone appreciated my new findings. Then again, at that time I didn't listen to their favourites either.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:45:09 PM by Sharion »
Survived so far:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8: :chap9:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:46 AM »
Thought to mention some other of my favorites than just Nordic folk/world music groups.

Jukka Poika is a Finnish reggae singer whose lyrics often have serious messages like in the song I linked. It's about the "steep hills" of life and how one should never give up but just keep going, whatever difficulties life brings.

Loreena McKennitt is a Canadian musician making lovely celtic style music.

Mediaeval Baebes is a British group on women singing medieval songs with their very own spicy way.

Scooter from Germany makes the right kind of electric music to make my feet want to dance.

Nicholas Lens' Flamma Flamma - Fire Requiem is great music. I have no idea what genre this would be, "new music" perhaps? Great music anyways.

Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
Ah, just recently discovered a progressive rock band that I'm pretty happy about - Haken.

Also cool to see a Blackmore's Night listener here - I went through a phase where all I listened to were them, haha.

For more Japanese songs, I really like KOKIA's music, as well as Ritsuko Okazaki's.
Am notified of private messages via email.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Here, have some music.*

Eisley: alt-rock group that started out as a garage band; "darkly whimsical" in their earlier songs and lush soundscapes in their latest.
Marvelous Things (earlier)
Lost Enemies (later)

Sucré: side-project of one of the singers from above; somewhere on the spectrum of alternative rock and dream pop
When We Were Young
Loner

The Honey Trees: similar genre/ sound to Sucré
Golden Crown

Run River North: folk-rock, apparently
Foxbeard
Lying Beast

Wind in Sails: thoughtful, more acoustic alt-rock
Level Head

Lily & Madeleine: beautiful harmonies
Devil We Know

OSTs
HTTYD: Test Drive
LOTR: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

The Banner Saga: inspired by Vikings, and appropriately solemn and grand

Child of Light: inspired by fairytales (of the traditional happily-ever-after variety), and appropriately beautiful and touching

Hohokum: quirky and upbeat tunes

Bastion and Transistor: Supergiant Games' two OSTs, three if you count the humming version of Transistor; at this point I have run out of descriptions, so "last but definitely not least" will have to suffice

*genre classifications may or may not be actually accurate and/or helpful

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
The back yard in the Eisley video looks like the back yard in Edward Scissorhands.
"Devil We Know" Sounds like it was in a movie recently... sounds really familiar.

In other news, I found a guy who can play guitar and didgeridoo... at the same time
Quality's not the best, but it gets pretty cool around half way in.
Feel free to PM.

Elrew

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
Ohh, Helios sounds so pretty!
One of my favourite songs is Toby's Hill by Pengilly's and... I have no idea how to link that. It's by my former music teacher, which my friend and I discovered when she was internet stalking him.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 04:43:37 PM »
I listen to a ton of very different stuff, though almost none of which is contemporary. Since there's so much stuff, I'm going to make several posts (not all in a row, preferably) —and even then, I feel I will only be scratching the surface.

Let's start with some swing jazz.

When they think of jazz, most people think of Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller first; why I don't hate those two by any stretch of the imagination, I also don't feel they are fully representative of the best that genre and era has to offer.

My actual favorite swing jazz band (and probably my favorite band period) would rather be Duke Ellington and his Orchestra:
The Mooche (a tune you might actually recognize for its use in a certain 1991 film about a peculiar family)
Sophisticated Lady
Concerto for Cootie
Caravan

Another great band of the era was Count Basie and His Orchestra:
April in Paris (a tune you might actually recognize for its use in a certain 1974 comedy)
Lil' Dargling
Jive at Five

From the 20s well into the 70s, there was quite a prominent jazz scene in France, of all places; so much that several generations of American musicians not only toured there, but in fact often lived there for several years. A notable example was sax player Coleman Hawkins, who often played with French-Belgian guitar player Django Reinhardt, leaving us with some really nice recordings:
Honeysuckle Rose
Stardust (actual song starts at 10 seconds)
Out of Nowhere

People are sometimes puzzled when I tell them by favorite singing artist died more than 50 years ago, and yet it is true I have still to find someone whose voice enthralls me more than that of Billie Holiday:
Night and Day
Blue Moon (yes, that Blue Moon)
I Only Have Eyes For You (yes, that I have Only Have Eyes For You)
Body and Soul

Let's wrap this up with a few solo pieces from pianist Art Tatum, a genius whose skills rivaled that of classical virtuoso performers:
The Man I Love (actually a meddley of several songs by George Gershwin, including "The Man I love", "Summertime", "I've Got Plenty of Nothing" and "It Ain't Necessary So")
Elegy
You Took Advantage Of Me
Over The Rainbow
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro: