Author Topic: Character Development: Sigrun  (Read 16490 times)

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
Re: Character Development: Sigrun
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Quote from the nationalities of the world:
"The Norwegians are generally not very well educated, but are always delightful company."

Looks very much like what we saw of her so far, don't you agree?

She knows her job, and I would add she knows how to handle people - in as much as the job is concerned. Unbearable, yet reliable.
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Crazybean

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
I actually thought that with the alliteration, and how it could've been a lot worse, that it was pretty tame for Sigrun and maybe a little bit endearing? Maybe...
Hamfisted does seem to be a rather mild swear word. And "hapless " is more of an observation about Emil's life in general.  ;D

In the last couple of pages Sigrun came off as both caring and mature and dare I say motherly Even. So unexpected of her. I guess Emil isn't the first panicky newbie she's had to deal with. Might be She took one good look at our silly Swede and her experience told her 'Oh dear. This one will Need some extra handling won't he?'
Though She's still being Sigrun. Not caring or noticing that half the team can't understand her ground rules and is sleeping while standing. You would think they'd at least use some simple hand signs for 'troll', giant and the like...

I wonder how the relationship with Mikkel will develop. Captain and second in command clashing like that can't be good in the long run.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »
Hamfisted does seem to be a rather mild swear word.

I dunno, there really aren't any good literal translation for hamfisted in Norwegian. The closest word that comes to mind is "slepphendt" (drop-handed), which is crass but still an everyday word.

As for "hapless" I wonder if Minna really intended to use Norwegian "håpløs"/Swedish "hopplös" which mean "hopeless".

As trivia, there's an appropriate idiom in Norwegian: å ha ti tommeltotter (having ten thumbs).

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 03:35:13 AM »
The fabulous Captain Eide, Sigrun of the Thousand Faces, has been getting a lot of love in Chapter 5 as she reveals more of her... unique leadership style.

Comments on pp. 250-51 alone:

Falconicide
Does anyone else love Sigrun's "game face" when she says: "KILL IT DEAD"?  Because I certainly do!

Rabbit
I want to scream at Sigrun for being quite possibly clinically insane while in possession of authority, but that damn smile.

*fans self*
kurukami 
So say we all!

Terallodaktus
Sigrun's face in the first panel is soooo badass!
I think I might be in the middle of developing a girlcrush here...

UFOO9000
Oh wow. I think I'm falling in love. Is this normal ?

[name redacted]
OK, that picture of Sigrun in the first panel?
If a woman ever looked at me like that, I'd either be
A) terrified, or
B) highly aroused :D

[another Disqus poster]
Why not both?

[and another poster]
Highly aroused....

[gentlemen, please]
I think the phrase is "arousedly terrified" or "terrifyingly aroused".

Either works.

Columbine
I really love the way Sigrun's working out as a leader. Sure she's got a talent for putting her foot in it but the way she handled this really makes me feel like she knows what she's doing where it counts. Even if she is a total goof-ball.

Rabbit
Oh Captain, my Captain, from mature to ridiculous in .2 seconds in true Sigrunian fashion.

Incanus01
Sigrun is now officially my favourite character! She is fanspastic! :P

But she is tough too. Which hopefully makes up for the spasticity of her personality. Captain should be reliable. Sigrun is reliable to get things killed I am certain, but let's hope it is not the teammates.

Gwenno
I've re-read this page around five times now, and still can't stop myself from laughing when it comes to Sigrun's face in the last panel. It's just so PERFECT!
This comic always manages to get my day started with a smile :D

I'm not really sure at the moment if we'd previously overestimated Sigrun's competence, or if she's just adapting to a changed situation :/ (probably just the second one right? Seriously, the way she's handling Emil just screams good leadership….)

Anyway, I've a feeling that though the comic we'll be seeing repeated cycles of "oh wow Sigrun, that was pretty darn sensible/clever/brave/insightful", and "Wait, what? Sigrun you doofus, what are you doing?!".

Gryphonic
She's.....she's insane. o_o
Her list of rules was generally sensible. I guess once excitement hits common sense goes out the window with Sigrun. I'm starting to see why the glimpse we got of her last team had them all banged up!

Edit: and for a laugh, picture Mikkel's reaction if he was hearing this.

Peter Sadlon 
I said before, I'll say it again, she's worse than a bloody valkyrie

??????? ????????? 
Nah, she's *better* than just a bloody valkyrie.

Varjohaltia 
I like her more and more with every panel. Despite that / because I agree with everything you said.

Euodiachloris 
Personally, I can't decide if she's awesomely Genre-Blind, Crazy Awesome or Crazy Awesome because screw genre! :/

corncobman 
Crazy awesome and awesomely crazy.

With an unhealthy dose of awesome awesome and a little bit of crazy crazy thrown in.

What was running through my mind the first time I read the page was "had a crazy moment? It's one long journey of crazy with you."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:28:06 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
From page 268, where Sigrun's Genki levels spike dangerously high:

Sunflower
Sigrun, the evening's over when your date throws up.

slim kittens 
Yeah. I hate it when that happens.

Sunflower 
I expect Sigrun's seen the expressions on panels 3, 4, and 6 on a lot of her dates' faces. (And in the case of panel 6, probably also on her dad and mom.)

"Honey, they're not all wimps. You're just playing with them a little too hard. Remember, like when the cat clawed you? You need to be gentle with the boys -- gentle, OK, sweetheart?"
"Aw, Mom..."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:39:29 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
thatclimbingguy • 2 days ago
I like how Mikkel is all "You stand there in the corner till you behave yourself again".

corncobman  thatclimbingguy • 2 days ago
I suspect that this isn't the first time that this is happened either. Sigrun puts up very little resistance.

Pyroscoped • 2 days ago
Mikkel has sent Sigrun to stand in the naughty corner for traumatising the Swedish child

Mogram  Pyroscoped • 2 days ago
Sigrun cops a mild rebuke
For causing poor Emil to puke;
It looks like when she's kind of mad,
She greatly worries Safety Dad.

Tafkae • 21 hours ago
Sigrun, go stand in the corner and think about what you've done

Axel • a day ago
Sigrun is actually really scary in this page, I feel like if she didn't have people around her to bring her down she'd go off the deep end and destroy everything, everything.

LooNEY_DAC  Axel • a day ago
AND IT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!
MWU-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!
…Um, I mean, "You're so right, and that's terrible."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:10:02 PM by Sunflower »

Laowai

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
It says on Sigrun's character page that she lives for the military and therefore is not that well educated, and it sates that thats not uncommon for military leaders. Could it be possible that Mikkel is literally too smart for his own good and showed up his bosses too many times?

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 01:39:55 AM »
He reminds me of a bear (if talking about appearance). He's analyzing the prey!

Or he's a care bear.

On a serious side, yes, I noticed that too. Mikkel seems to have read the others' profiles and paid attention, enough to remember Lalli's language abilities. I wonder if Sigrun read them at all (she knew Lalli was a mage, but she might have been told by Trond, or just glanced at the file to know each member's abilities.

I wonder if Sigrun can read more than an elementary level. Maps yes, but a non-illustrated book?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
I wonder if Sigrun can read more than an elementary level. Maps yes, but a non-illustrated book?

Hee hee, a lot of us have speculated about that!   :)

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »

I don't think she is the type to sit down and read.
As HTTYD said: Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?
Fluent:
OK:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »
Okay, after much searching I found this discussion on page 277

DancingRanger
17 days ago
I don't know why but I think Sigrun needs a warning label.
17  Edit Reply
?

Noodly Appendage  DancingRanger
17 days ago
*Contains exuberance. Handled on equipment that also processes car accidents. Improper use may lead to face squeezing, shoulder punches or other side effects. If you notice being alone in a creepy building, discontinue use and contact a medical professional**. Read all instructions before use.

** Mikkel would be a good one.
26  Reply
?

corncobman  Noodly Appendage
17 days ago
***Warning, do not feed the Sigrun. Do not make any sudden movements and keep your hands by your sides at all times.***
11  Reply

Alaron  DancingRanger
17 days ago
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Sigrun.

Caution: Happy Fun Sigrun may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

If Happy Fun Sigrun begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Sigrun.
15  Reply
?

DaiJB  Alaron
16 days ago
"If Happy Fun Sigrun begins to smoke, get away immediately." :D

If Happy Fun Sigrun has already burst into flame, put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye...
2  Reply
?

corncobman  DaiJB
16 days ago
If Sigrun = having fun, RUN!
3  Reply
?

Sitting Duck  DaiJB
15 days ago
That is quite a reach.
0  Reply
?

JoB  DancingRanger
16 days ago
"If you can read this, you're too close. RUN." In 1000pt font. Floating above her. Neon sign. Blinking. With a blaring builtin siren able to drown out the insufficient warning sign of "outdoor voice" Sigrun.

"Now dot's a nize hat!"
7  Reply
?

ReturnOfDaveBro  JoB
16 days ago
"Enny plen vhere you lose you hat iz BED PLEN!!"

Drink!
2  Reply
?

Aprillen  ReturnOfDaveBro
16 days ago
Cheers!
0  Reply
?

Panzer_Engel  DancingRanger
16 days ago
"Warning; When using Sigrun do not operate allow her anywhere near heavy machinery."
5  Reply
?

corncobman  Panzer_Engel
16 days ago
***Use in a well ventilated, brightly lit room. Do not combine with medication or mix with alcohol.

Highly volatile and unstable. Do not shake or expose to flame. Contact with skin may cause swelling or discomfort.

Follow directions carefully and always consult your doctor. Keep out of the reach of children.***
9  Reply
?

Hrolfr  corncobman
16 days ago
Prolonged Exposure to Sigrun has been known to cause fires, delinquency, vandalism, nausea and bloodshed, hair loss, adrenaline burnout, loss of appetite, jealousy amongst women, firefights and lust amongst bystanders.

Do not combine with Trolls. Ever.
4  Reply
?

Frank Royce Harr  DancingRanger
16 days ago
Nah, women are more fun when you don't know what you're getting into.
1  Reply
?

Hrolfr  Frank Royce Harr
16 days ago
For certain values of "fun."
0  Reply
?

DaiJB  DancingRanger
16 days ago
For Emergency Use Only - Break glass and stand clear...
1  Reply
?

corncobman  DaiJB
16 days ago
Explosive. Handle with extreme care.
1  Reply
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
Page 284:

Alaron • 7 hours ago
Sigrun looks... elegant with her hair in her face like the last panel. It is very confusing, as that's not an adjective I'd associate with Sigrun.

Hrolfr  Alaron • 5 hours ago
Think of Miss Sigrun, in a elegant black lobster-tail cocktail dress, high heels, discreet diamond earrings, elbow gloves, holding a champagne flute, at an nice party with an orchestra playing the background, holding court to a bevy of attractive men of various ages...

...drunk out of her mind , and gesticulating wildly with the other smoking pipe-wielding arm, and loudly explaining as she illustrates gutting a troll while rolling sideways, and not getting covered in the guts.

You are right, you can clean her up, but elegant might not be her thing

Panzer_Engel  Hrolfr • 4 hours ago
Mm. . . Not sure black would really suit her. . . Might make her look freshly boiled. . .

I'd see her in aquamarine, or maybe a deep green - Emerald to forest - I know; Stereotypical 'difficult greens'. But with her hair and skin tone I think she'd rock them.

Auleliel 
Oooh, I like the idea of Sigrun in aquamarine!

Hrolfr 
I almost wrote fire-engine red "because Sigrun" but I was thinking of the classic poster:
"l'instant taittinger". I'll leave the ladies to argue the details of proper color.

JoB 
If it's just a matter of a matching beverage / ad campaign, and to say it with admiral Olsen: "CARRY ON, THEN!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:26:17 PM by Sunflower »

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
Page 288: Sigrun has Reynir Arnason taken prisoner and...

Loses it. While she has several times been seen to be hasty and to overreact, this time she does both AND looks as if she is failing to cope. Her face as she runs back to the CatTank looks like a silent scream of frustration and bewilderment would look. She has claw-hands -- a sure sign in graphic novels of emotion beyond a character's limits.

If she makes a stupid mistake now then it's going to be a humdinger, and it will take all Mikkel's calm, inner authority to override her.
My one-and-only: :uk:

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 06:08:10 AM »
Page 288: Sigrun has Reynir Arnason taken prisoner and...

Loses it. While she has several times been seen to be hasty and to overreact, this time she does both AND looks as if she is failing to cope. Her face as she runs back to the CatTank looks like a silent scream of frustration and bewilderment would look. She has claw-hands -- a sure sign in graphic novels of emotion beyond a character's limits.

If she makes a stupid mistake now then it's going to be a humdinger, and it will take all Mikkel's calm, inner authority to override her.

I think this might be just her overeacting in general. When she is happy, she looks super happy, when she is distressed, she looks super distressed.
Although I agree that she is not thinking clearly right now. (Prisoner? Yelling at the ship at the horizon?)

However, Sigrun has been giving me the impression of someone who is insecure but doesn't want to show it. All the bragging, the jokes, and the eagerness might hide her desire to 'prove her awesome abilites' to everyone, or to live up to the expectations of the army and her family history.
Besides, there have been two moments where she looks plain awkward: when she teased Mikkel about washing pigs (and his response was un-enthusiastic) and at the Cast page, where her smile looks... well, not 100% happy. 
Fluent:
OK:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 06:32:16 AM »
I think this might be just her overeacting in general.

I agree, it does seem like she has a super strong fight or flight -reflex and only a tiny capacity for stopping to think. This is a great survivor trait when trolls are coming at you face-height but a poor one in situations that are plain surprising with no obvious solution.

I'm also agreeing on the point of Sigrun seeming to be on the insecure-but-trying-their-damnest-to-hide-it type. Her parents are generals after all and by the photos on the walls of the great hall it seems her family line might be one of the really respectable ones so she has a LOT to live up to.

She is however good at what she does, surviving trolls. She also proved to be quite understanding in the scenes where Emil is freaking out - no harsh words, no berating, allowing him to avoid something he was very uncomfortable with, a hug + hair ruffling even. Well ok, one two-handed slap, but even that was just to shake him out of it and didn't have much force in it. Either she really has had to deal with lots of panicking newbies like Crazybean said, or maybe she remembers that feeling of being a scared first-time troll hunter herself?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: