Author Topic: Board Game Thread!  (Read 11172 times)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
Re: Board Game Thread!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
While I'm not normally a massive fan of board games, I really feel like I should stop by and leave a reccomendation for a game called Android: Netrunner. It's a two-player game set in a cyberpunk future, where one player plays a mega-corp defending their assets and the other player is a hacker trying to blow the lid off the corporate conspiracies. So if you like cyberpunk aesthetics, and pleasingly asymmetric gameplay, I'd really reccomend you give it a try!

(Not sure if this technically counts as a board game, but hey...)
ANR thoroughly seconded. As far as board games, I have been running rounds of Mansions of Madness recently, Munchkin is a family favourite and Fluxx is getting up there.
I also have started playing warmachine, and am Looking forward to painting my minis.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
I will definitely check out the Android: Netrunner game out!  I like that it is made for just two people... that's sometimes a hard feature to find and even games that are 2-4 people are sometimes not as fun playing with just two people.  Also, I really enjoyed playing the Lord of the Rings cardgame and it looks like it has similar card based game play (with expansions).  Thanks for the suggestion/link/info Unwary and SectoBoss!  :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
Slightly off topic, but one thing I just realized is that the forumites might be able to play board games through this.http://berserk-games.com/tabletop-simulator/
I myself play ANR and Fluxx with out of state friends on it, and maybe a Table top gaming group could be a thing.
(If this is too Off Topic, I will edit/delete this post.)
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

beergood

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
So I just started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 2. Here's the summary:
The world almost ended seventy-one years ago. A virulent plague came out of nowhere and ravaged the world. For three generations, small groups of survivors have struggled to keep the world alive. Operating from floating stations known as “havens,” they have maintained a loose network of the largest cities by delivering supplies to the mainland. But their efforts are no longer enough. Cities are falling off the grid and supplies are running low. The world needs a group of heroes to emerge and lead it through this crisis.
Sound familiar, hmmm?

It's not that close to SSSS, really, as it's much more world-saving and less on the day-to-day stuff (and also some big differences in how the plague works) but still, thought it worth mentioning.

Also, like season 1, it's a one-shot tabletop game; you can't play it more than once. Once a character dies you have to destroy their card, you write in ink on the board, you glue stickers on action cards when they're up- or downgraded, resources that are used up are thrown away, etc. I like that, especially for an apocalypse story. There are no do-overs.
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
The "legacy" aspect sounds fun on paper, but it really rubs against my instinct of keeping my games in good condition; at worst, even if a game can only be played once because it's plot-driven and spoiler-ladden, I still prefer to be able to "reset" it, because then I can sell it or give it to someone else.

Maybe I'll do an exception for Charterstone if I find people to play it with, because I really like the designer of that game, but it remains to be seen.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

beergood

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
The "legacy" aspect sounds fun on paper, but it really rubs against my instinct of keeping my games in good condition; at worst, even if a game can only be played once because it's plot-driven and spoiler-ladden, I still prefer to be able to "reset" it, because then I can sell it or give it to someone else.

Maybe I'll do an exception for Charterstone if I find people to play it with, because I really like the designer of that game, but it remains to be seen.

I get that. I'm wondering if there's a crossover between people who want to be able to reset board games and people who refuse to dog-ear their books...?  :)
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »
I get that. I'm wondering if there's a crossover between people who want to be able to reset board games and people who refuse to dog-ear their books...?  :)

There's definitely a correlation :p

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Well, and also, usually if I like a game I'll want to play it more than once (and/or show it to friends etc), so it'd be a pain in the butt (and expensive) to have to buy a new copy anytime I wanted to play....

Maybe you could rig something up with, like, wrapping the board in plastic wrap and writing with wet-erase markers? And stick the stickers to bits of paper and use them as tokens instead? I don't know...
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Well, legacy games are campaign games, you don't just play them once, you play a series of games, but each individual session permanently alters the game depending on the events that happen during the play (and those can be different for two groups of player, so that once the campaign is finished, most groups will have a different looking game).

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
The Mad Magazine Game is a great game! It's kinda like Monopoly but you have to lose all your money to win and it contains some physical activites like changing seats(not taking with your money), jump and try to stay in the air for 30sec etc.
A goofy game for goofy friends/people.
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:52 AM »
The Mad Magazine Game is a great game! It's kinda like Monopoly but you have to lose all your money to win and it contains some physical activites like changing seats(not taking with your money), jump and try to stay in the air for 30sec etc.
A goofy game for goofy friends/people.
That sounds like fun!  Does it feature illustrations by "the usual gang of idiots"?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
That sounds like fun!  Does it feature illustrations by "the usual gang of idiots"?
I believe it is
Spoiler: show
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »
I believe it is
Spoiler: show

Yussss! I see contributions by Don Martin, Dave Berg, Sergio Aragones, Jack Davis, Al Jaffee, Paul Coker, oh!  My heroes!  (I was a cartoonist groupie in my younger days.)  *wipes eyes*  Thank you for that, Basse.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
Coming out of my slumber because I figured this might interest a few people on the forum since Nordic mythology seems to be the thing here, but a friend of mine is co-producing a board game based on Icelandic mythology that has a campaign going on Indie Gogo right now, in case you're someone who's big into both board games / table top gaming and Nordic mythology like myself you might be as stoked about this as I am  ;D

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

LuckyCheshire

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
I guess I'll commit mild necromancy here, and throw in a reccomendation for Carcassonne. The game revolves around placing tiles which essentially are chunks of fields, cities, roads, etc. which all together make the game board completely different each game. The game has a ton of long-term strategy (especially with a couple expansions) and while the players do compete it's very non-violent. It can take a while to play though, especially with a few players, and you might want to leave it on a table overnight  ;D
Aka: Cheshire777, IronSpider90909