Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2364806 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17880 on: December 15, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
I was also wondering about this scenario for further up the chain, before comments get moderated (or not), when an individual person chooses to pay money (by that I mean their own, without any kind of backer) to post a comment.
I don't quite see (yet?) how the "pay for faster connections" model would actually work with Internet sites that don't handle lots of traffic, and short of nation-grade fake-posting organizations (and, of course, spammers), someone who's just a "commenter" doesn't seem to qualify. You don't reconfigure the Internet's backbone when Contrarian Connor plopped a handful of cash on the counter to upgrade his consumer-grade Internet access.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure that the non-enhanced net access is likely to result in an experience of a slow Internet, either. WFQ or not, in my experience, network congestion tends to result in the low-prio traffic to rather be mostly dropped on the floor. (And as long as Net Neutrality is in effect, everyone is the same prio, and everyone will complain to the carrier whenever it happens, which means that the carriers keep not liking this scenario to happen.) Maybe once the actual lines that the backbone consists of get segregated into straight-to-destination paying-customers-only and NYC-to-DC-via-Alaska good-enuf-4-U ones ...

Things like VOIP exist because small startups were able to plug in to an unbiased internet and get their signals treated the same as everyone else.
FWIW, VoIP (which works with limited bandwidth but is very sensitive to delay and jitter) is the prime example of traffic that routinely gets "express lanes" in the network even today. There are switches, routers, and ISPs which prioritize VoIP traffic by default. It's not nominally a violation of Net Neutrality because the decision is based on "VoIP or not?", rather than "extra-paying customer or not?", but if you imagine yourself as a net user who just doesn't do VoIP, that's not much of a consolation, I guess.

(No contest on the "likely to cripple innovation" part, though.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17881 on: December 15, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »
FWIW, VoIP (which works with limited bandwidth but is very sensitive to delay and jitter) is the prime example of traffic that routinely gets "express lanes" in the network even today. There are switches, routers, and ISPs which prioritize VoIP traffic by default. It's not nominally a violation of Net Neutrality because the decision is based on "VoIP or not?", rather than "extra-paying customer or not?", but if you imagine yourself as a net user who just doesn't do VoIP, that's not much of a consolation, I guess.

(No contest on the "likely to cripple innovation" part, though.)

Fair point. I am just regurgitating half remembered info to be honest.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17882 on: December 24, 2017, 03:07:16 AM »
Moving on to lighter... (or heavier subjects, depending on your thoughts). Caught a second showing of TLJ.

Opinion: mixed.

Spoiler: spoiler filled nitpicking goes here • show

Honestly, Holdo was portrayed to be a terrible leader. she had no less than two mutinies occur within 18 hours of assuming command, and at least 5 attempted desertions in the first hour, all because she did not explain the plan of action to her command staff.

Even the bridge crew seemed shocked and confused when Poe put it together that they were going to be abandoning the ship in unshielded/unarmed transports. That implies that no one aside from Holdo knew the full scope of the plan.

And when the plan was fully explained to Poe? He actually agreed that it was solid and could work. But the whole Canto Bight plot, the betrayal by the codebreaker, and the first order actually bothering to do a sensor sweep for transports? That could have all been avoided if Holdo had explained the plan. I honestly feel that the filmmakers did a disservice to her character.

just my two cents.

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #17883 on: December 24, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
It has ticked across to Christmas where I am, so I'd like to wish everyone here a wonderful holiday season with plenty of fun, laughter, rest and squirrel cookies! :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

You are all lovely people and my life is better for ending up here :))

Onwards to 2018!  :hat:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17884 on: December 24, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
Gleðileg jól forum!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17885 on: December 24, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
It has ticked across to Christmas where I am, so I'd like to wish everyone here a wonderful holiday season with plenty of fun, laughter, rest and squirrel cookies! :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

You are all lovely people and my life is better for ending up here :))

Onwards to 2018!  :hat:

As are our lives for you being here with us. Merry Christmas...
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17886 on: December 24, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
What Iceea said. To all of you. Merry Christmas and a better New Year!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17887 on: December 25, 2017, 12:11:42 AM »
*raises a glass*  What she said, please!  *air kisses all around*
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17888 on: December 25, 2017, 12:20:23 AM »
Merry christmas! O0

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #17889 on: December 25, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Merry Christmas! :sparkle: :sparkle:
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17890 on: December 25, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
Merry Christmas to all celebrating it! and an excellent day to everyone, celebrating Christmas or not.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17891 on: December 26, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
That moment when your friend tips his motherboard and the AMD processor falls out destroying several pins.

But everything is okay, we returned it and we finished it.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17892 on: December 27, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
That moment when your friend tips his motherboard and the AMD processor falls out destroying several pins.

But everything is okay, we returned it and we finished it.

Why was the CPU not secured?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17893 on: December 27, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Why was the CPU not secured?

It was installed on the board. Unlike Intel, it didn't have a little shield to keep it in its place when we installed it. I guess the heatsink was needed to formally install it. Idk
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:12:55 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #17894 on: December 31, 2017, 07:16:42 AM »
It hasn't ticked over here yet, but I'm not staying up for it, so :sparkle: :hat: :sparkle: <3 HAPPY NEW YEAR! <3 :sparkle: :hat: :sparkle:

Let's make 2018 a good one! :))