Author Topic: Music in your language?  (Read 39210 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: Music in your language?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
I go and find a different version somewhere else while uttering maledictions on those who discriminate against 'Mericans. :p

Edit: Is this it? It's really pretty!
[youtube width=200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gsdp2zSCjY[/youtube]

I only saw this post now! Sorry!

Yes, this is the song! :)
Only the version I posted is a little less happy and more melancholic (I thought it was better that way).

PHEW - I went through all the music and added most of the songs you guys mentioned to a Spotify list. Here's the link!

Ohh, thank you!! <3
I'm listening to this playlist right now!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:20:52 PM by Daéa Reina »
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »

I'll leave this here...
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
have you heard ABBA in hungarian?  here is a half hour long mix of them:

can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
So this isn't in a language I speak, but I really like this artist and I think this song is really beautiful.

Here's for more modern renditions of traditional music! Woooo! (You may be seeing a trend in the music I listen to :P)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Jeanne

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
Behold, Québec folk!
Here's a french-canadian song about a popular legend. It's the story of lumberjacks who make a deal with the devil to go home and see their wives on Christmas eve. The devil gives them a flying canoe and a few rules to abide by. If they break the rules, they can never come back. Spoiler: They break the rules. So they are damned to wander in the sky forever and/or lose their souls, depending on the version.
Speaks: :france: :canada:
Kind of speaks: :spain:
Veeeery rusty: :germany:
Not really worth mentioning but I know a few words: :japan:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
*Tries to think of German music to post here, but cannot think of anything except Nena and Wolfsheim* *Feels deeply ashamed* Volksmusik, I suppose, but like so many twentieth century kids, I never really got into it. I have vague memories of Hansi Hinterseer, as my mother and grandmother were big fans of his, and would blast it on the TV. I remember they always had Volk specials on Easter and Christmas and the like, and they'd dance around our tiny living room to it, while I made rather confused Lalli hand gestures, a la "what the heck are these people doing and what is this weird cajoling on TV?". Fun times, but only in twelve years' worth of hindsight. ;)
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Daelf

• +__+
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
… okay, I'm sorry, I'm trying to make a selection of nice songs in French, but I always end up with two or three songs for each artist I find, so…

For now, I'll just leave the weirdest (in a good way!) one here. But I'll be back.

La Java Martienne, written by Boris Vian (he a lso wrote the amazing –and yes, weird in a good way– novel L'Écume des Jours, adapted in a film that was titled Mood Indigo in English. Has any of you seen it?)
It's old but I love it, because it's (wait for it) weird. There are invented words, and real words used in a way that… makes sense, sometimes, in a strange and poetic way… Also, ridiculous puns on planet names :p

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:49:30 AM by Daelf »
:chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Native: :france:
Ridiculously proud of my level: :uk:
Vague memories from school: :germany:

Typos happen…

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
*Tries to think of German music to post here, but cannot think of anything except Nena and Wolfsheim* *Feels deeply ashamed* Volksmusik, I suppose, but like so many twentieth century kids, I never really got into it. I have vague memories of Hansi Hinterseer, as my mother and grandmother were big fans of his, and would blast it on the TV. I remember they always had Volk specials on Easter and Christmas and the like, and they'd dance around our tiny living room to it, while I made rather confused Lalli hand gestures, a la "what the heck are these people doing and what is this weird cajoling on TV?". Fun times, but only in twelve years' worth of hindsight. ;)

Volksmusik? No, this would be called Volkstümliche Musik...Let me see...this was actually a big hit last year, you simply couldn't avoid it:

Okay, these guys are just weird:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:36:46 PM by Viisikielinenkantele »
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »

Volksmusik? No, this would be called Volkstümliche Musik...Let me see...this was actually a big hit last year, you simply couldn't avoid it:

Okay, these guys are just weird:

*Looks at first link* Really, my friend didn't even mention it? It's nice to see our music diversifying. Ten years ago when I had to leave it was just-ah Germany, beer and techno. -__- (I still don't think we're good at music though; we should stick to food.)
And that second video, yeah...kinda Bavaria in a nutshell...*sinks into ground in embarrassment* I'm also not entirely sure what it was supposed to be about...T_T And did I see people dancing our iconic Schuhplattler? >___>''''
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »
Behold, Québec folk!
Here's a french-canadian song about a popular legend. It's the story of lumberjacks who make a deal with the devil to go home and see their wives on Christmas eve. The devil gives them a flying canoe and a few rules to abide by. If they break the rules, they can never come back. Spoiler: They break the rules. So they are damned to wander in the sky forever and/or lose their souls, depending on the version.

I would contribute in a small way to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0zG5eH2Kjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJRMqp05awA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1svi3_tm1s
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
*Looks at first link* Really, my friend didn't even mention it? It's nice to see our music diversifying. Ten years ago when I had to leave it was just-ah Germany, beer and techno. -__- (I still don't think we're good at music though; we should stick to food.)
And that second video, yeah...kinda Bavaria in a nutshell...*sinks into ground in embarrassment* I'm also not entirely sure what it was supposed to be about...T_T And did I see people dancing our iconic Schuhplattler? >___>''''

Hehe, yes, Techno...no, I will not get started on this, I promise.
The guys in the second video are actually a big deal in the Schlager-shows at TV. But still weird...

Vafhudr: Wow, I like this song! It has a very nice driving rythm...I don't understand a word he sings but I guess the pictures describe the text?
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Cliodna

• DeviantArt
  • Celibate because I don't give a ****
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I would like to thank this thread for giving me a lot of new bands to listen to. I enjoy folk rock and folk metal immensely but never seem to manage to find enough to satisfy my appetite.

Oort - Suur Tamm (The Great Oak)
This is a modernized folk-rock version of a regilaul (similar to finnish runo-songs).

/>
On a similar note we have another folk-rock band, Metsatöll
This one's called "Only bravery" and the official video contains clips of a cartoon called "Suur Tõll", with most of the art being made by syrrealist Jüri Arrak (Metsatöll and Arrak seem to have an understanding - all of their album covers are designed by him as well). I can't remember it personally but apparently that cartoon had made me cry when I'd seen it as a little kid.
/>
I'll also leave you this Metsatöll - Veelind (Water Fowl), probably one of my favorite of their songs if only for the bit at the start.

And finally...
Another, more "modern", flavor of folk song is the choir songs and the Song Festival. It's pretty much the symbol of this country's re-independance, as well as a way to keep the culture alive, so it would only be fair to show a video of that as well.
This is "Tuljak", a 20th century melody which has become quite popular on song- and dance festivals. It is not my favorite, but it is so full of life and has very uplifting words, as well as a video that shows off the staggering amount of people on this event. It's about a happy wedding between two people named Tõnn and Mari.
/>Edit
As for music that can not be translated to english without losing a lot of it's meaning - pretty much anything by Dagö. I do not know their genre, but I enjoy listening to them. Their songs are often very calming, full of wordplay and poetry.
/>This is one of the easier ones to translate. It makes me feel quite serene and catches, in my opinion, very well the kind of early-morning-forest-lake atmosphere.
Translation
Here's another song by Dagö that I like. Less serene, more rock-like and tragic: Dagö - Näitleja. About an actor who has grown too old to land any more jobs at the theater.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:46:55 PM by Cliodna »
Fluent: :estonia: :uk:
Fluent if I hadn't slept through class: :germany: :finland:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
I can't remember it personally but apparently that cartoon had made me cry when I'd seen it as a little kid.
O_o I would have been a frightened little kid.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
I can't remember it personally but apparently that cartoon had made me cry when I'd seen it as a little kid.

I saw that too as a child and I was so scared of it! I still remember little scenes of it, some kind of a demon figure, a woman buried under rubble (?), a giant man wielding some kind of a giant cartwheel thing... I still feel a bit scared of it, actually. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: