Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76637 times)

BarbaryLion22

Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2015, 02:05:53 AM »
Is it always that disturbing? Or is episode 1 just especially gory?

Unfortunately, it's almost always that disturbing. And I have to agree with Latent Leprechaun, the manga has gone to an...odd place. It did prepare me for Tokyo Ghoul, though, as well as... Gesellschaft Blue ( forgot the name for a second).
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2015, 02:10:13 AM »
Unfortunately, it's almost always that disturbing. And I have to agree with Latent Leprechaun, the manga has gone to an...odd place. It did prepare me for Tokyo Ghoul, though, as well as... Gesellschaft Blue ( forgot the name for a second).
For some reason I think Tokyo Ghoul is worse (or the manga at least since the anime is censored). Nothing prepares your mind like Berserk though, it's insane O_O
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:16:04 AM by AquaAurion »

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #332 on: June 05, 2015, 06:07:53 AM »
The SnK/AoT anime has a pretty crap pacing past a certain episode, so if you can't bear that I would recommend gunning for the manga instead of the anime

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #333 on: June 05, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
Me and Koesh finished watching Death Parade last week. It is a trickster anime. It attempts to completely fool you until they reveal the tsunami of emotions and hurricane of feels. The animation is just brilliant, and space pool for the win. On a bit more serious note, the plot and ideas of this particular anime do juggle with some interesting topics and is a definite must watch if you want something smart, gripping and with very nice touch of slight humour.

Ah SnK I was watching that as it was going out, I didn't see it as too gory, but then I have seen pretty horrid stuff. Still a good anime, soundtrack and characters. I know a lot of people obsess with Eren, but Levi is my most favourite from the bunch...he is such a little neat freak (much like moi). I did quite enjoy SnK just because it was packed with action and come on...BIG Brutal TITANS? HELL YEAH!!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #334 on: June 05, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
The SnK/AoT anime has a pretty crap pacing past a certain episode, so if you can't bear that I would recommend gunning for the manga instead of the anime

If only there was a happy medium between the art and music of the anime and the pacing and atmosphere of the manga.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
If only there was a happy medium between the art and music of the anime and the pacing and atmosphere of the manga.
Oh, I wish.. I almost always opt for the manga and sometimes watch the anime afterwards.

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
I'm not sure where else to post this (sorry!) BUT I'm a shameless self-promoter and I know a few people here watch Haikyuu!! soooo I wanted to leave a link to my fanfic up here :) It's only a little shippy.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4090771
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Tap10lan

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »
I used to binge all sorts of anime and mango, nowadays not so much.

One of my favorite series are Mushishi, Dennou Coil and Mononoke. They all are pretty unique series.
Comedy animes such as Nichijou or Daily Lives of High School Boys are very good too - if you like the other, the another will suit you too.

I'm still following One Piece manga, but I dropped the anime long time ago.

W00t! A fan of Mushishi! I will have to check your other recommendations out, just based on that! :D
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
W00t! A fan of Mushishi!
*Raises hand by reflex*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Tap10lan

« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
I recommend "In Search of the Lost Future"/"Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete". It's got a nice time loop thing going, and I totally fell for the high school romance thing. It seems to be finished after one season, which I guess is both good and bad ...
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Tap10lan

« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
*Raises hand by reflex*
Hehe, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that those who love Minna's stories also enjoy Mushishi. ;)
It's mostly that it isn't all that well known.
I actually haven't watched the anime, but the manga is beautiful, and the stories are just the right kind of quirky.
I guess they may have been published in French, France being THE country if you're into comics?
I'm actually happy the English version manga wasn't just abandoned. Instead, they publishec the last three (?) books as one extra-fat collection.
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Hehe, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that those who love Minna's stories also enjoy Mushishi. ;)
It's mostly that it isn't all that well known.
I actually haven't watched the anime, but the manga is beautiful, and the stories are just the right kind of quirky.
I guess they may have been published in French, France being THE country if you're into comics?
I'm actually happy the English version manga wasn't just abandoned. Instead, they publishec the last three (?) books as one extra-fat collection.
I watched the anime in japanese with english subtitles, because for what I know it was a little unknown in France, but yes, we have all the manga translated. Just here, in my library ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
You'll enjoy Mononoke, I think. It's like a surrealist take on the premise of Mushishi - but with more straightforward demons, I guess.
Dennou Coil has a similar feeling but it is modern. It's mushishixgoogle glasses. It's kind of a neat modern spin on the concepts.

Another series to consider is Natsume Yuujinchou. Seem melancholy feel - but with a bit more character exploration and relation to the supernatural. It's like those episodes where the show shines a bit of light on Ginko and his past and the people around him. Unfortunately, they don't really go much further with it ultimately (in season 2, anyway).

Also worth everyone's time, I think, is Kino no Tabi. It's based on a light novel - which is actually available in the West, if only partly.
But anyway. A girl and her talking motorcycle travel around and get into discussions with people. The stories kind of play out like fables, in my opinion.

Oh. And you might also enjoy Spice and Wolf.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:33:42 PM by Vafhudr »
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Tap10lan

« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »
You'll enjoy Mononoke, I think. It's like a surrealist take on the premise of Mushishi - but with more straightforward demons, I guess.
Dennou Coil has a similar feeling but it is modern. It's mushishixgoogle glasses. It's kind of a neat modern spin on the concepts.

Another series to consider is Natsume Yuujinchou. Seem melancholy feel - but with a bit more character exploration and relation to the supernatural. It's like those episodes where the show shines a bit of light on Ginko and his past and the people around him. Unfortunately, they don't really go much further with it ultimately (in season 2, anyway).

Also worth everyone's time, I think, is Kino no Tabi. It's based on a light novel - which is actually available in the West, if only partly.
But anyway. A girl and her talking motorcycle travel around and get into discussions with people. The stories kind of play out like fables, in my opinion.

Oh. And you might also enjoy Spice and Wolf.
Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime by Miyazaki/Ghibli, is that what you mean? I love that one. Before Disney had started releasing the Miyazaki library in the West (man, what an evil corporation: blocking the competition (that happens to outclass anything ever published by Disney, sorry you guys in the States!)), I got my hands on a copy with Japanese sound and English subtitles, and one of my most precious memories is seeing this with my 3-year old daughter (I had to translate simultaneously into Swedish, since she didn't know English/Japanese at the time ;D )!

Hmm, Kino ... I've seen some of it, and for some reason I never got roped in. Maybe I should give it another try.
The rest - safely jotted down in my Anime to check out list! Thanks! :D
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime by Miyazaki/Ghibli, is that what you mean? I love that one. Before Disney had started releasing the Miyazaki library in the West (man, what an evil corporation: blocking the competition (that happens to outclass anything ever published by Disney, sorry you guys in the States!)), I got my hands on a copy with Japanese sound and English subtitles, and one of my most precious memories is seeing this with my 3-year old daughter (I had to translate simultaneously into Swedish, since she didn't know English/Japanese at the time ;D )!

Hmm, Kino ... I've seen some of it, and for some reason I never got roped in. Maybe I should give it another try.
The rest - safely jotted down in my Anime to check out list! Thanks! :D
Nope, pretty sure Vafhudr meant this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mononoke_%28TV_series%29
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: