Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76834 times)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
Anyone here heard of Aldnoah.Zero? No one? Yeah ok guessed as much.

It's a pritty fantastic series if you are in to mecha stuff, but also with the added benefit of a lot of political maneuvering and a bit of race relations too with the premise being a Martian princess is coming to visit earth, but is assasinated and this kickstarts a frozen conflict where the Martians lauch and assault for earth.

A lot of twists and turns and the first season ends quite dramatically, but the second season i think kinda ruined that ending in some level.

I have watched a good chunk of the first season.

Dropped it like its hot as I saw that it didn't intend to actually have characters.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
Eh Slaine does get build up to a certain extent descending deeper in to his identity crisis so i recomend giving it a bash.

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #317 on: May 15, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »
i have major beef with az but i aint gonna stop no ones party 8^)

HEY THO has anyone read oyasumi punpun? its a pretty dark and gritty coming of age manga about a kid, punpun, whos drawn as a cartoon bird (among other things) and his very dysfunctional life as he grows up. it made me cry a few times, and im warning you its not pretty, at all, so i urge you, friends, to be mindful if you decide to pick it up. its really really excellent though i recommend 100%!!!

on a lighter note tho is anyone keeping up with owari no seraph this season? a pretty neat story about vampires and the group of people who are hunting them (of which our protagonist is a part of)...i read quite a bit of the manga a while ago but dropped it, but the anime has rekindled my interest. mika is my New Son i will protect him. animation is really excellent!! im excited *_______*

also!!! idk if any of you guys are keeping up with animatorexpo but kazuya tsurumaki (creator of FLCL!!) released the short i can friday by day! and it is WONDERFUL, really cute art and characters and animation, i ADORE the colors, and the song is super catchy its been stuck in my head all week.....id totally take a few minutes to give it a watch!!!!

in other news: if u actively keep up with tokyo ghoul:re please contact me so we can cry over chapter 28 i think my soul is dying
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:51:05 AM by callipygous »

BarbaryLion22

« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2015, 01:07:26 AM »
One thing I have to nitpick, mecha is the Japanese term for machinery. Like a toaster, or a dishwasher, or a blender. The giant robots that people pilot are gundams.

a great one-shot manga that I liked was Mahou Tsukai no Deshi ga warau toki, or When a Magician's Apprentice Smiles. It's really sweet.
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2015, 03:40:40 AM »
i have major beef with az but i aint gonna stop no ones party 8^)

HEY THO has anyone read oyasumi punpun? its a pretty dark and gritty coming of age manga about a kid, punpun, whos drawn as a cartoon bird (among other things) and his very dysfunctional life as he grows up. it made me cry a few times, and im warning you its not pretty, at all, so i urge you, friends, to be mindful if you decide to pick it up. its really really excellent though i recommend 100%!!!

Dear god dear god tinkle tinkle hoy another Punpun fan? I swear, that series crushed my spirit and broke my heart, would re-read anytime A+++++. It's simply an amazing piece of work, I've never seen anything like it before and I doubt I ever will.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2015, 05:56:10 AM »
Dear god dear god tinkle tinkle hoy another Punpun fan? I swear, that series crushed my spirit and broke my heart, would re-read anytime A+++++. It's simply an amazing piece of work, I've never seen anything like it before and I doubt I ever will.

I read another work from the author. A girl by the sea. I was confused about the style of punpun, but I really liked her other work. I also really want to read Solanin, but I am afraid of what you perfectly described as 'spirit crushing and heart breaking.' I have a graphic novel at home that I postphone reading for the same reason, it is so good but the story is a punch in the feelings every time. T-T And Garden of Words...I really want to see it but I heard it is heartbreaking sad as well. *sigh* I'm a crybaby.

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:50 AM »

If we are going to talk dark and gritty manga then I highly recommend Holyland and Suicide Island, both by the same mangaka.  Holyland focuses on social outcasts who turn to street fighting over territory as an outlet for their frustration.  The protagonist fights his way up through the social hierarchy trying to build alliances between gangs to expel the criminal groups defiling their "holyland".  the premise for Suicide Island is that it is too expensive to keep patching up people that attempt suicide so they are exiled to an island in the pacific, once there some of them set about forming a society with factions forming as they attempt to adapt to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.  Both very deep and dark series, not for the easily depressed, but thoroughly enjoyable.  Another thing I love is that the mangaka includes info pages out of context that explain how things work, fighting styles in Holyland and survival techniques in Suicide Island.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
If we are going to talk dark and gritty manga then I highly recommend Holyland and Suicide Island, both by the same mangaka.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend both of them. Especially Suicide Island is awesome, and it even sneaks in happy moments of success and recovery in between all the hardship so it's not quite as painful experience as Oyasumi Punpun was. You can always catch your breath in between the tough parts.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and recommend both of them. Especially Suicide Island is awesome, and it even sneaks in happy moments of success and recovery in between all the hardship so it's not quite as painful experience as Oyasumi Punpun was. You can always catch your breath in between the tough parts.

I really need to catch up on it, I'm at least a year behind, kinda dropped off my radar because of the dodgy update schedule.  But talking about Holyland has made me want to re-read it.  Have you read Destroy & Revolution by the same guy?  I found it lacked the edge that the other two had.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
I really need to catch up on it, I'm at least a year behind, kinda dropped off my radar because of the dodgy update schedule.  But talking about Holyland has made me want to re-read it.  Have you read Destroy & Revolution by the same guy?  I found it lacked the edge that the other two had.

I'm agreeing on Destroy & Revolution. It starts out really strongly but after a while you just get the feeling that the mangaka is getting somehow tired of the story and then it all sort of falls flat, which is a shame because it really does feel promising at first. But Suicide Island more than makes up for it IMO.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #325 on: May 15, 2015, 11:46:01 AM »
I'm agreeing on Destroy & Revolution. It starts out really strongly but after a while you just get the feeling that the mangaka is getting somehow tired of the story and then it all sort of falls flat, which is a shame because it really does feel promising at first. But Suicide Island more than makes up for it IMO.

Oh definitely, even with the poor performance for D&R the overall quality of work is brilliant.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »
Well like I said I would I started reading Holyland again and man I had forgotten how hard it is to pull away from, the hours just fly by.  Even though I know what ultimately happens I have forgotten enough of the details to be thoroughly engrossed and wanting to know what happens next.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2015, 04:46:01 AM »
Well this is going to be my third post in a row here but oh well.

Recently started watching Owari no Seraph/Seraph of the End.  Post-apoc setting with most of humanity dead and much of the remainder enslaved by vampires.  Main character out for revenge of his family's death at the hands of the vampire's while attempting to escape.  Doesn't exactly bring much new to the genre, yet I am still really enjoying it and the animation is good.

Latiep

• Gets distracted by EVERYTHING. Lurks in spare time
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »
I just tried watching Attack on Titan.
My reaction: 8c
followed by: Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope!

I found it very... disturbing to say the least.
Is it always that disturbing? Or is episode 1 just especially gory?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:20:39 PM by Latent Leprechaun »
Native :usa:
Learning :norway:
Is planning on learning :iceland:
Knows a bit of :france:
Knows tidbits of :germany:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
I just tried watching Attack on Titan.
My reaction: 8C
followed by: Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope!

I found it very... disturbing to say the least.
Is it always that disturbing? Or is episode 1 just especially gory?
There's a lot of disturbing things in it (it's not as bad as the manga though), but it's worth it xD

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3