Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76824 times)

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2015, 05:19:39 AM »
FLCL is an enjoyable series, but you really have to disengage your brain before watching.  Saying that it doesn't make a lot of sense is a massive understatement.

Maybe you don't enjoy it to the fullest, because you disengage your brain? It makes a lot of sense, but you need to think and rewatch... it is a sneaky anime that one. . .

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2015, 05:45:18 AM »
*is slightly sad that from discussion it seems that no one has actually read the light novels of SAO*
Wouldn't say that I thought no anime would touch on the subject, but definitely not one like SAO.  Still I think they handled it very well and the use of technology for that purpose was very logical.  Plus, that cliffhanger at the end, what is he up to this time? :D  Expecting a 3rd season as if I remember right, there was a 4th game that Kirito enters in the manga.

As for PP, I may have sided with the police at the beginning but I was definitely rooting for the "villains" by the end.  That was system that needed burning to the ground.

@ Lenny: Sorry Lenny, I find lightnovels way to expensive over here, I don't have the money to collect any of those. <:( Probably shippings costst but they can be 10-15 euros per volume, and every serie has at least five volumes, I never start collecting them, I will spend everything.  :P

@ Koeshi: Yes, the use of technology almost sounded like possible in the future, (well somewhat, the nervesystem connection is further away) with occulus rift and such patiens in hospitals could maybe still meet people/have a great time in games. That is what I liked so much, all those new ideas presented. Also, tackling heavy subjects with actual terms might be a new thing, Aldnoah Zero has a character with PTSD, and it is really mentioned as PTSD. I have seen characters display it, but not mentioned like that. (Or I missed old ones that did.)

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2015, 06:32:09 AM »
*is slightly sad that from discussion it seems that no one has actually read the light novels of SAO*

Were they readily available I would.  As it is, I will probably read the manga at some point.

Maybe you don't enjoy it to the fullest, because you disengage your brain? It makes a lot of sense, but you need to think and rewatch... it is a sneaky anime that one. . .

:O you are talking to me :P  I did try watching it seriously, but it was so much more enjoyable when I didn't try to make sense of it.

@ Koeshi: Yes, the use of technology almost sounded like possible in the future, (well somewhat, the nervesystem connection is further away) with occulus rift and such patiens in hospitals could maybe still meet people/have a great time in games. That is what I liked so much, all those new ideas presented. Also, tackling heavy subjects with actual terms might be a new thing, Aldnoah Zero has a character with PTSD, and it is really mentioned as PTSD. I have seen characters display it, but not mentioned like that. (Or I missed old ones that did.)

Well its not entirely beyond us to stop signals reaching the brain (reversing the process may be more difficult), but I suppose the real challenge is interfacing computer signals with the brain, and vice versa.  I know what you mean about the PTSD, you get characters with the trait of collapsing/going foetal during certain experiences/flashbacks, but noone ever calls it PTSD.  Case in point, Sinon.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
This.
FLCL is such a good show.  Weird as all heck, but I do think it has a coherent story.  The idea I like the most is one I heard online, that explains the show as a coming of age story, as viewed by the boy who's growing up.  After I heard that, I really related to it a lot more, and it kind of explains why all the adults are so crazy and weird, and why the boy acts so though and distant.
It's kind of the opposite of the movie "Super 8," for me.  I love both because they remind me of different parts of being a kid.  Super 8 reminds me of the things I did with my friends, and the stupid stuff we did, and FLCL reminds me of the time I spent imagining things on my own. 

I get the feeling they're probably better than the show was. 
Fwiw I did enjoy most of the show.
Feel free to PM.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »

This.
FLCL is such a good show.  Weird as all heck, but I do think it has a coherent story.  The idea I like the most is one I heard online, that explains the show as a coming of age story, as viewed by the boy who's growing up.  After I heard that, I really related to it a lot more, and it kind of explains why all the adults are so crazy and weird, and why the boy acts so though and distant.
It's kind of the opposite of the movie "Super 8," for me.  I love both because they remind me of different parts of being a kid.  Super 8 reminds me of the things I did with my friends, and the stupid stuff we did, and FLCL reminds me of the time I spent imagining things on my own. 
I get the feeling they're probably better than the show was. 
Fwiw I did enjoy most of the show.
Oh yes there are many theories, but in truth FLCL means different things to different people, you can relate to anything in that series. That's the beauty of it. Some people just view it as a nonsense, others as the inner growth, randomness of life or just a sci-fi with robots. It really depends on your mind set. I do agree with your point of view tho, cos this is how I felt when I was watching it. Another thing is that this particular anime leaves you in a different emotional state depending on what stage of your life you watch it. Perhaps one of the best theories to support this idea is that FLCL is Japan's version and cover of The Little Prince. I simply adore this concept, because in some weird way it makes sense...
I can see your point with Super 8, which is indeed a brilliant movie, but I always related FLCL with the Iron Giant for some odd reason.

:O you are talking to me :P  I did try watching it seriously, but it was so much more enjoyable when I didn't try to make sense of it.
Should I not be?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:16:14 AM by Chizu »

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »
I never watched FLC. Now all the discussion makes me think I should, when I have the time. You all make the show sound really interesting! :D

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
Despite our differing views on the show, it is definitely worth a watch no matter how you interpret it.

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
Oh yes there are many theories, but in truth FLCL means different things to different people, you can relate to anything in that series. That's the beauty of it. Some people just view it as a nonsense, others as the inner growth, randomness of life or just a sci-fi with robots. It really depends on your mind set. I do agree with your point of view tho, cos this is how I felt when I was watching it. Another thing is that this particular anime leaves you in a different emotional state depending on what stage of your life you watch it. Perhaps one of the best theories to support this idea is that FLCL is Japan's version and cover of The Little Prince. I simply adore this concept, because in some weird way it makes sense...
I can see your point with Super 8, which is indeed a brilliant movie, but I always related FLCL with the Iron Giant for some odd reason.
 Should I not be?
OOOOO i never heard the theory that its a little prince cover!! aaaa man i wanna...rewatch it  now, ive always watched it as the coming of age *______* either way its super near and dear to my heart, i remember watching the whole series in one sitting a few years ago!

aaaaand im here with some movie recs! 'paprika' is really, really good, directed by satoshi kon, a sort of futuristic sci-fi about dreams that start to mesh with reality. its better than i describe it i swear, absolutely gorgeous art and crazy animation and a really great story in general!!

'sword of the stranger' from studio bones is EXCELLENT, about a boy, his dog, and his hired samurai bodyguard and oh man it is so good, wonderful animation and fight choreography. insane details and absolutely marvelous characters and story. i cried a lot. its terrific

'the girl who leapt through time' and 'wolf children ame and yuki' are BOTH SO GOOD AND EMOTIONALLY DESTRUCTIVE, and also both directed by mamoru hosoda!! 'girl who leapt through time' is about a girl who discovers she can time leap (WHODATHUNK) after crashing her bike. its really, really good and i dont wanna give away anything, but definitely a superb film!! 'wolf children' is about furries the two most precious half werewolf children to ever grace anime as they grow up and Deal With That. wolf childrens so good i bought it Legally, that is saying something

all of ^^these^^ have MAJOR SPECTACULAR SOUNDTRACKS, particularly paprika and wolf children, but really, truly theyre ALL beautiful and i have them on my ipod, i am not kidding.
im so sorry im anime garbage i could talk all day. talk to me about anime ill cry
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:55:38 PM by callipygous »

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
While we're on the subject of movies, I'd also recommend Summer Wars! A killer soundtrack and same artist/director that did Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

BarbaryLion22

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2015, 01:59:50 AM »
 A while ago, I watched this good anime movie called "Sakasama Patema," or "Patema Inverted," instead of Madam Butterfly (long story). It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie, about messed up gravity...The art is kind of ghibli-esque, kind of Wolf Children-ish. The director is Yoshimura Yasuhiro. I liked it because a) it reminded me of castle in the sky and b) it really makes you think.  :D
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »
@Callipygous Yes, Yes you should most definitely re-watch it!
 The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is such a wonderful spring-ish summer-ish movie, I watch it at least once a year. It is such a great story. It has always reminded me of Stains;Gate

Oh...Wolf Children has a very touching story, exceptional animation and adorable characters, but I do not think it could be handled by anyone. I have a friend who just refuses to watch it for the simple reason that it would give her too many feels and she can't be asked to deal with them. I think if you're emotional person you tend to like movies like that, I personaly adore Wolf Children, because animals....A similar anime is Ano Hana

Paprika!! Such a weird little bundle of brilliance. One of my flatmates recommended it to me, I was not disappointed. It has the same effect on people like FLCL tho... Both are so unusual. I suppose that's why they are liked.

Princess Mononoke is a classic, but it is something that is dear to me for so many reasons. Origin: Spirit of the Past is similar to it and once again a magnificent piece of work. The art and story just envelop you in this wondrous world and once you finish watching you feel like you've just travelled to a different world. So in simple words if you haven't watched it, you should.

A while ago, I watched this good anime movie called "Sakasama Patema," or "Patema Inverted," instead of Madam Butterfly (long story). It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie, about messed up gravity...The art is kind of ghibli-esque, kind of Wolf Children-ish. The director is Yoshimura Yasuhiro. I liked it because a) it reminded me of castle in the sky and b) it really makes you think.  :D
Sakasama Patema has been on my list for a while, I think I might give it a go this weekend. If you like these sort of movies, you'd   probably also like Wonderful Days.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
Oh...Wolf Children has a very touching story, exceptional animation and adorable characters, but I do not think it could be handled by anyone. I have a friend who just refuses to watch it for the simple reason that it would give her too many feels and she can't be asked to deal with them. I think if you're emotional person you tend to like movies like that, I personaly adore Wolf Children, because animals....A similar anime is Ano Hana
This is 100%. It will make you want to break down and cry... and then call your parents.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
This is a little different from the animes you guys are talking about right now, but my boyfriend recommended Sakamichi no Apollon to me earlier tonight. I ended up binge watching it (it's 1.40 am atm) and thought I'd share it since I don't remember seeing it mentioned here.

It's a slice of life anime about two very different boys who find each other through music =) It has a nice atmosphere, good music and the animation felt fresh =)

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
I very much enjoyed Wolf Children - but to me it falls apart in the third act. I really don't like the direction they take with the children in the last 20-30 minutes of the film. /:

Movie wise - to add to the list some of my personal favourites:

Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso - both from Studio Ghibli. Par for the course, but also I think some of the strongest offering from the Studio. To me, anyway.

AKIRA - on the sci-fi side of things. The animation is simply to die for and the music is strange and cool.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2015, 04:59:35 AM »
I found the film of Akira to be rather disappointing to be honest.  Having read the manga first, it was just painful seeing half of the content and a lot of the characters getting completely skipped over.  Yeah the animation was good, but as a whole it was an injustice to the manga.