Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 75387 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
Yus.  That and the Alabasta arc are both really, really good.  My friend is reading the manga, and he's been saying the newest arc is the best one he's seen so far, which has me really pumped.  I just finished up the Fishman Island arc.

I know DBZ Abridged is fantastic, but I haven't checked out One Piece Abridged yet.  I'll give it a look.

I'm not sure about the newest arc - they really stretch out the plot which gets sort of annoying. They're catching up to the manga fast though so I suppose it's necessary. I don't think I've watched the Alabasta arc actually, I'm sort of amnesiac about what arcs I've only read. Maybe I'll check it out though.

And I'm talking about the abridged series called None piece, not the one actually called One Piece Abridged (which is kind of mediocre). There's only 7 episodes though.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
*Gasp*
You haven't watched the Alabasta arc?  That's practically the one that made me get into the series, and realize how good it could be.  Does that mean you might have read it at some point though?

Yeah, that's how Hellsing Abridged is.  The episodes are hysterical, but there's only four of them.  5's coming out soon, though.
DBZ Abridged is up to like 35 now, I think.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »
*Gasp*
You haven't watched the Alabasta arc?  That's practically the one that made me get into the series, and realize how good it could be.  Does that mean you might have read it at some point though?

Yeah, that's how Hellsing Abridged is.  The episodes are hysterical, but there's only four of them.  5's coming out soon, though.
DBZ Abridged is up to like 35 now, I think.

Oh yeah, I've read every One Piece chapter there is. I started reading One Piece back when it was printed here in Norway. I must have spent hundreds of USD on those volumes. They stopped printing it around volume 42 though (we still get the English version, made by Viz I believe) - and that was when I realised you could read the series online. I watch the anime mostly as a supplement, skipping arcs here and there. I know I've watched every episode after the Skypiea-arc excluding the most recent arc.

Oh, and I might have misunderstood by the way: The newest arc is amazing, it's just the anime adaption that's not as good.

Now that you mentioned DBZ abridged I remember that a friend recommended it. I should probably watch it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:03:31 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
Oh yeah, I've read every One Piece chapter there is. I started reading One Piece back when it was printed here in Norway. I must have spent hundreds of USD on those volumes. They stopped printing it around volume 42 though (we still get the English version, made by Viz I believe) - and that was when I realised you could read the series online. I watch the anime mostly as a supplement, skipping arcs here and there. I know I've watched every episode after the Skypiea-arc excluding the most recent arc.

Oh, and I might have misunderstood by the way: The newest arc is amazing, it's just the anime adaption that's not as good.

Now that you mentioned DBZ abridged I remember that a friend recommended it. I should probably watch it.
Oh, I understand now.  I'm considering saving up some money to buy some of the manga.  I want to support Oda as much as I can; he's too brilliant not to, I think.  He is, along with Minna, one of a very small number of people in the world who are truly creative.  I like throwing my money at these people.

Definitely check it out.  The guys who are doing it are really great comedians, and actually very good voice actors.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Oh, I understand now.  I'm considering saving up some money to buy some of the manga.  I want to support Oda as much as I can; he's too brilliant not to, I think.  He is, along with Minna, one of a very small number of people in the world who are truly creative.  I like throwing my money at these people.

Definitely check it out.  The guys who are doing it are really great comedians, and actually very good voice actors.

Just so you know it: Oda is not only absurdly creative but also extremely rich. As in millions of USD rich. Definitely support Minna though, the print drive should be right around the corner. The good thing about the way Minna is doing stuff is that the money actually goes to her and not to the license holders.

This also may not be related to anime or manga per se but if you have spare money, like video games, art and japanese stuff consider supporting Ukiyo-e Heroes. Their stuff is truly amazing.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
Just so you know it: Oda is not only absurdly creative but also extremely rich. As in millions of USD rich. Definitely support Minna though, the print drive should be right around the corner. The good thing about the way Minna is doing stuff is that the money actually goes to her and not to the license holders.

This also may not be related to anime or manga per se but if you have spare money, like video games, art and japanese stuff consider supporting Ukiyo-e Heroes. Their stuff is truly amazing.
I know he's rich, but he deserves all of it.  And, absolutely, I have a job this semester, so I can donate my own money to the print drive.  For the aRTD book I was still on my parents' budget, and had to bargain with them for the book, but now I can spend as much as I want on it.  I'm quite happy about that.   ;D

Also, wow, those guys are good.  The Ico + Yorda picture put them on my watch list but the, Solid Snake, Kefka, Katamari, and Glenn pictures sold me.  I'll check out their other stuff.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »

Ah, ditto on everything about the Norwegian volumes. That's what got me into manga and anime to begin with. They sucked though. Translation was horrible, doublespreads were cut in two more often than not, and some of my books litterally fell apart. No wonder they stopped printing them really.

My favourite arc is and will always be Enies Lobby/water7. The art was at a high and the story was absolutely awesome, and heartbreaking, but mostly awesome.

Isn't there like twenty one piece abridged series though? Which one should you watch?
Oh, and Grand Line 3.5 is great if you want a fancomic.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:34:17 AM by ThisCat »
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »
It looks like none has still mentioned both great manga and anime Mushi-si. Then I am a person to do it! And also it's beautiful opening
. And for those ones who like anime about wanderers there is an anime series of short films Aru Tabibito-no Nikki
majavanainen

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
It looks like none has still mentioned both great manga and anime Mushi-si. Then I am a person to do it! And also it's beautiful opening
. And for those ones who like anime about wanderers there is an anime series of short films Aru Tabibito-no Nikki

Aw yeah, that one's great. Been a few years since I read it.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 06:17:54 AM »

I actually mentioned Mushishi. I'm pretty sure seeing the opening somewhere prompted me to watch the show, way back in 2007. Similar anime to Musishi, that I haven't watched, is apparently Kino's Journey, or Kino no Tabi. I've heard it's really good but I haven't gotten to see it yet.

Seeing all this OP love is making me really happy! It's being published here in Finland and we're so close to where it's right now that the publishers decided to reveal one volume every three months. It's more kind on my wallet, so I'm not complaining..

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
I actually mentioned Mushishi. I'm pretty sure seeing the opening somewhere prompted me to watch the show, way back in 2007. Similar anime to Musishi, that I haven't watched, is apparently Kino's Journey, or Kino no Tabi. I've heard it's really good but I haven't gotten to see it yet.

I have read some of Kino no Tabi ranobes, and it was enjoyable. Another similar to Mushishi anime could be Mononoke TV. Though I still think Mushishi is outstanding in this line. I'd say it's more deep.
majavanainen

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Seeing all this OP love is making me really happy! It's being published here in Finland and we're so close to where it's right now that the publishers decided to reveal one volume every three months.

My husband and elder son are always eagerly waiting for the next one to be released =)

I'm more a Naruto fan myself and that interest is also shared by my son. We also share a fondness for the crazy Naruto spin off, Rock Lee's Ninja Stories. However no one else in our family but me seems to like A Bride's Story, though my mother at least read the first part and said it was quite interesting.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »

My husband and elder son are always eagerly waiting for the next one to be released =)

I'm more a Naruto fan myself and that interest is also shared by my son. We also share a fondness for the crazy Naruto spin off, Rock Lee's Ninja Stories. However no one else in our family but me seems to like A Bride's Story, though my mother at least read the first part and said it was quite interesting.
I really, really wish my family were that open minded about entertainment. 

Anyway...
Legend of Korra surprised me...
First season had a lot of bad, but the second season made it all worth it.   ;__;
Everyone should watch Last Airbender, if they have the opportunity (it's tied with Downton Abbey as my favorite show of all time :P), and I think I'll go ahead and recommend Korra (with the warning that it takes a while to pay off).  I'm not sure if it's anime or not, but it's animation anyway, so I thought I'd post that reaction here.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:57 AM »
Okay...  Just finished all of Legend of Korra.
Season three, man... Dang.  I can't even cope with how good that show is.  Season 4 starts on the 3rd, if anyone's interested.
Feel free to PM.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 07:24:55 AM »
Aww, Last Airbender, finally there is something I can contribute to this Anime discussion  ;D
I really love the series - as a sidenote, also for the different martial arts styles displayed. I've even learnt the firebendig form of the dancing dragon with my sister  ;) (normally I'm more into Karate, but it wasn't that hard...)

I'm also looking forward to see season 3 and 4 of Korra (although I think they still can't reach the quality of ATLA). Unfortunately, I can't watch them on TV or DVD  :(
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat: