Author Topic: aRTD re-read  (Read 7179 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: aRTD re-read
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
But why can Hannu and/or Ville wound Death?
Spoiler: for chapter 8 • show

[shrug] Because they can do the same to Puppy-Fox later, too? Because it doesn't lead to their death, as Puppy also demonstrates? Because it seems to be an accepted method of education for younger spirits like him?

Because their pantheon doesn't have a single omnipotent entity? Because the spirits / SoT can pull a phenix and get born again if they/she die(s)? Because without at least one mortal swan in Tuonela, Väinämöinens story would be missing a key element?

And why should Death have been in a panic?
Pain and seeing oneself wounded tends to just do that to us humans, even in cases where no grievous harm was done ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2021, 05:23:09 PM »
But the Swan isn't human.

I know perfectly well that the Swan's not the TriOmni God, either. But it doesn't make any sense to me to have that figure be so easily damaged, or so easily frightened.

-- I guess I prefer the Swan of SSSS; who is powerful enough that Onni, an adult powerful mage, could clearly have been killed by her with his having no recourse. He talks his way out of it; but there's no sign that he'd have thought it remotely reasonable to attack her, let alone that a random dog could chase her off.

catbirds

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2021, 09:54:22 PM »
It's a fun gimmick I think, especially if you want to add some stakes to the story like in ch.7, but it does make things kinda weird, especially considering [ch.8 spoiler above] and the fact that Puppy-Fox is a young and immature child in the other animals' eyes, implying recent birth, because doesn't that mean that ultimately the amount of spirit animals will keep growing???

Unless it's to keep up with human population growth.

But with gods or spirits who aren't human, writers can basically do whatever they want and just explain it away with "yep that's just how it works for them," as long as they're consistent with it. And they probably do find it to be an inconvenience to die.

Not totally related to the thread of discussion, but there are a couple more questions about this universe! Personally I enjoy universes where spirits can be wounded, and in the flow of an engaging story, this sort of question usually gets ignored in favour of the ~drama~

JoB

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2021, 01:48:06 AM »
But the Swan isn't human.
She's also not anything else I can find a well-researched psychology textbook on. :3

-- I guess I prefer the Swan of SSSS; who is powerful enough that Onni, an adult powerful mage, could clearly have been killed by her with his having no recourse. He talks his way out of it; but there's no sign that he'd have thought it remotely reasonable to attack her, let alone that a random dog could chase her off.
So you want The Swan to be impervious to everything Hannu can do, and instead require negotiation skills he doesn't have (and Villes pleading in chapter 6 wasn't very successful, either). Not that that's entirely unlikely to what ultimately happened, but they did have to make it all the way to Kielo's ears to succeed with it ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2021, 02:05:44 AM »
P.S.:

does make things kinda weird, especially considering [ch.8 spoiler above] and the fact that Puppy-Fox is a young and immature child in the other animals' eyes, implying recent birth, because doesn't that mean that ultimately the amount of spirit animals will keep growing???
The spirit animals have stated (and, at least for the young'uns, finite) ages given on the characters page. Puppy is several times as old as Little Hare.
Spoiler: on chapter 8 again • show

We are shown that they are difficult to actually kill with human means, but on the other hand, we have one fox taking away another's powers as if it was easy-peasy, and

Mr. Moose openly admits to "getting old", however that may relate to an actual end of his existence ...

catbirds

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2022, 01:53:58 AM »
Uhhhh happy belated new year and belated (sorry!) opening for the final part of this re-read, the discussion for chapter 8!

So yeah, everything's on the table now! And sorry, forgot to mention that there's graphic animal death in this chapter as well.

For the chapter itself,

Once upon a time, I probably admired Hannu's pettiness and rage, if you'd call it that. I think I'm better off leaving that in the context of a comic, but at the end of these seven stages of torment, I have a hard time imagining anyone who wouldn't want to at least severely hurt the person who put them through it. Well, not person, but Puppy-Fox is a sentient being with a sense of self and everything.

Anyway, as a continuation of our discussion from last week, it's so weird that he just floats back up to the spirit-dimension-thing and is alive again? So the question of how they exist and die remains, and I have never been the type to ponder magic systems too deeply so... ohhh well.

The ending! I liked the ending, even though it's kinda weird. It's a plot twist that you wouldn't expect, but still kinda makes sense when you get to it, I guess? Well, they're living together now, sure! That does bring more questions about why the spirits allowed it to happen and the implications for how Ville would be counted as a citizen, but on the emotional side, I think it's cute. Hopefully Hannu is nice to Human Ville :3

I'll just talk a little about the comic overall :V

Compared to the earlier chapters, Minna's gotten much better at conveying the necessary story beats in fewer panels without it feeling too rushed. It's still a veeeeeeery wordy comic in some parts, though, which just means the pages all looked pretty busy throughout the whole thing, but it slowly got better at having a good balance between visuals and words.

Overall, I still enjoyed this comic! I know I was very critical of Hannu's actions throughout the chapters, and I don't really like what a cursory analysis of perhaps some accidental themes reveals, but it's still an entertaining and energetic story drawn with care and enthusiasm. It might have meant something personal to Minna at some point, too, though that's none of my business.

It does drag on at the beginning and especially on chapter 4, though, and I'm not sure why Minna made that chapter that long because I can't recall many events that would justify the page count. As nice as it is to have a comic that takes its time going places, it can make certain events from the past lose their impact when they're spaced very far apart for me. At least the void is filled with nice character moments for Hannu and Ville, usually, and that's probably the comic's strongest point! Their relationship is the most fleshed out, while Hannu's relationship with everyone else is just "stay the heck away from me, or I'll be mean"

(Personally I feel their relationship isn't balanced or is a little one-sided, but oh well. It's still good.)

Aside from that, there's also the fact that this comic was finished in two years. It's amazing how much work Minna's able to put out, though this amount of work is always at the expense of... health, usually.

Mr. Moose openly admits to "getting old", however that may relate to an actual end of his existence ...

Still going to do my best not to think too hard about it, but would that mean some are way older than or have a longer lifespan than others? Kokko, for instance, seems to be nigh eternal. They're both ancient, yet Kokko makes no mention of "getting old" beyond being wiser, meaning he improves somewhat with age?

Well, yes, certainly. If you can come up with less terrible measures (or better reasoning, and all the pondering done within the original strict deadline, of course), be my guest. [...]

This is a pretty serious thread of discussion and the examples being brought up make me too nauseous to read further, so I'm not willing to go further. But either way, for Hannu's situation, I'd still be firmly against hurting someone etc etc. but an irrational or emotional response isn't out of the question considering the pressure.

One of my late aunts who was a wildlife carer and especially liked rearing orphaned native birds, or caring for injured ones, was certainly recognised and remembered by many of the birds she had cared for. I have seen magpies, kookaburras, butcher birds and various corvids that she had cared for and released back into the wild bring back their offspring to show her. The birds would line up their youngsters on the clothesline, tap on the kitchen window to get her attention if she was not already in the garden, and she would come out to them and feed them tiny pieces of raw meat, insects, fruit or seeds, depending on what those particular birds ate, and she would make friends with the young ones. When she died in extreme old age she was found by the young man who had come to cut her hedges, where she had been sitting on the back verandah with her morning cup of tea in her lap and several birds complaining at her feet.

Aw :'( That definitely paints a vivid image. I wonder if they understood the situation...

Of course, you wouldn't think of how individual birds are if you just saw them passing by, but getting to know them like that would give you a clear view of how rich their lives are.

Pain and seeing oneself wounded tends to just do that to us humans, even in cases where no grievous harm was done ...

I agree, it's clear that the spirits can feel pain. Also, considering they're not really in their weird powerful spiral glowing mist forms (as Kokko and some foxes appear sometimes), it doesn't seem unlikely that their physical forms are very different. Why? Maybe they just like physical pleasures like eating or dancing, but that's just speculation. I actually have no idea!

JoB

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2022, 02:02:39 AM »
Anyway, as a continuation of our discussion from last week, it's so weird that he just floats back up to the spirit-dimension-thing and is alive again? So the question of how they exist and die remains, and I have never been the type to ponder magic systems too deeply so... ohhh well.
Whatever the details of actual spirit death may be, when the foxes agreed to let Hannu "kill" Puppy, it was perfectly clear that it would not be permanent ("Maybe he'll learn a lesson"). I doubt that they would've let it happen if there were any chance of the mere mortal offing one of theirs for (the greater) good ... Maybe Puppy would have remained in perpetual bodily limbo if his relatives had not vacuumed him back into their more ethereal realm, but that's moot because they never intended not to.

The ending! I liked the ending, even though it's kinda weird. It's a plot twist that you wouldn't expect, but still kinda makes sense when you get to it, I guess? Well, they're living together now, sure! That does bring more questions about why the spirits allowed it to happen and the implications for how Ville would be counted as a citizen, but on the emotional side, I think it's cute. Hopefully Hannu is nice to Human Ville :3
The spirits, all the way down to Kokkos lowest-IQ workforce members, never bat an eyebrow at having to deal with the soul of a dog, who suddenly talks and reasons like a human, as if he were a human. Also, while Astrid did not display the same properties, she was there, in a dream pocket with souls that supposedly had been erroneously carried there by the birds. I don't expect anyone on that side of affairs to suddenly go "wait, what's a dog in a human body even doing here?!?".

It is worth noting, however, that we've only seen human bodies around in Tuonela. Does that mean that only actual humans go there after their death, or can animals wind up there too, if only they previously received the pour le mérite of having their body swapped for a human one? Dunno, but fact is that even the Swan never singled Ville out as someone particularly odd to be present in Tuonela ...

About the other side ... hoo boy, yes, human bureaucracy's gonna convulse itself into a fractal pretzel *if* they ever have to look closely into the case of human!Ville. There's no way they'll ever arrive at a conclusion other than "the guy intentionally hides where he came from, and he's successful with that, alas, which makes him a criminal". There is, however, the possibility that Hokanniemi doesn't do much cooperation with the regional-to-national levels of public administration ...

(If human!Ville still has the life expectancy of a dog, chances are that it'll be Kielo who'll eventually have to sort those things out ...  >:D )

Still going to do my best not to think too hard about it, but would that mean some are way older than or have a longer lifespan than others? Kokko, for instance, seems to be nigh eternal. They're both ancient, yet Kokko makes no mention of "getting old" beyond being wiser, meaning he improves somewhat with age?
The characters page puts every spirit other than Puppy and Little Hare as "ancient". Nonetheless, their antics - especially Ms. Squirrel's - make it very clear that there still are major age/maturity differences between them. ("Mind your elders, punk!") And sure, if they have a finite life expectancy, it may well differ between (apparent) species ...

If Puppy counts as a "puppy", in spite of being a thousand years old, how old are the particularly "ancient" ones? Were there actually any humans around when they came into existence? If not, Kokko and The Swan must've had their lives turned upside down when they got chained to the expressedly dealing-with-humans parts (nightly activities on the Birds' Path and Tuonela) of the spirit realm, right? Yeah, might be better not to think too hard about all that ... O_o