Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 75588 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Anime Discussion
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Upon suggestion (after me and Eich somehow started talking about anime while discussing votebaits), here is the anime thread! What anime are you guys watching at the moment? Any you would suggest?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
I read more manga than I watch anime actually. The ones I'm currently reading are One Piece, Bleach, UQ Holder, Drifters, Gin No Saji, Detective Conan and Fairy Tail. The only anime I watch regularly at the moment is Naruto.

When people ask me to recommend an anime the stock options are usually Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - those are the ones that have made lasting impressions on me.

When I have more free time I would like to binge watch Cowboy Bebop and Gintama. I actually started watching Gintama this week and so far it's pretty entertaining with all its absurdities.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:34:45 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
I used to watch a lot of anime back in high school/college, but not so much in the last few years.

The last series I watched was Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I really liked it! From all the art and the character designs you assume it's going to be a generic magical girl show but then it takes that assumptions and slaps you with it until you're not even sure what's real anymore.

Incidentally, there's a really short series call So Ra No Wo To (Sound of the Sky) that will probably appeal to SSSS fans! Similar light-hearted military setting, team camaraderie, and post-apocalyptic setting.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fenris

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
I don't watch particularly much anime (in fact, I thought it was all like Pokemon until an ex of mine got me to watch a couple of shows). I particularly enjoy Black Lagoon and Hellsing, do anyone know of other shows in the same vein?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
I don't watch particularly much anime (in fact, I thought it was all like Pokemon until an ex of mine got me to watch a couple of shows). I particularly enjoy Black Lagoon and Hellsing, do anyone know of other shows in the same vein?

Not shows per se, but the author of hellsing is currently working on a new comic project called Drifters. It's about historical figures (like Hannibal) transported to a violent Tolkien-like world after their death. Definitely 18+ just like Hellsing.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
I'm probably gonna start catching up on One Piece soon, I think. 
Steins;Gate, the Soul Eater manga, Death Note, FMA, are all great, and one other I liked a lot was Shiki.  Has a different art style, and a really creepy (and extremely depressing) atmosphere, plus the incredible Yasuharu Takanashi did the soundtrack.
Also, Spice and Wolf was fun.
Feel free to PM.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
I recommend Samurai Champloo. Lots of action and humour despite the grimness and cruelness of the world of (pseudo) feudal Japan.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
Let's see... in case my avatar isn't clear enough, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of my favorites, then Shingeki no Kyojin (but it's better to read the manga, as the show just drops off..') , what little I've seen of Death Note looks very interesting... I gotta catch up with One Piece (about 150 episodes left, maybe? Less?) and Fairy Tail (ten episodes or so), but both are interesting. I'm currently watching a new series called Zankyou no Terror, which is confusing at first but becomes more interesting with every episode. In the shock field, my favorite is Ouran High Host Club. And I should probably obey my teachers in anime-watching and start with Neon Genesis Evagelion. Not a fan of mecha, but whatever.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:20:31 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
I used to binge all sorts of anime and mango, nowadays not so much.

One of my favorite series are Mushishi, Dennou Coil and Mononoke. They all are pretty unique series.
Comedy animes such as Nichijou or Daily Lives of High School Boys are very good too - if you like the other, the another will suit you too.

I'm still following One Piece manga, but I dropped the anime long time ago.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
I used to watch anime all the time, but these days there are just a few manga I still follow.
One Piece (forever)
Assassination Classroom (pretty awesome)
Hunter x Hunter (when it updates)

and then there are a few others I read a little of if I feel like it.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

DLMuerte

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
I recently finished BTOOOM! and that was pretty good. Definitely suggest that too. Currently I'm watching Aldnoah.Zero and Akame ga Kill [both ongoing] and I guess you could say Fate/Zero, but honestly I saw one episode and I haven't returned for the second. I'm also trying to find the full first Persona 3 movie, since I only saw the first thirty minutes- that was pretty sweet though.

Suggestion-wise: Log Horizon, Steins;Gate, Aldnoah.Zero, and Durarara!!! are all pretty sweet, and most [bar one] haven't been mentioned.

As a sidenote, Baccano! > Durarara!!! apparently, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch the former yet.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
Some absolute favourites: Durarara!! (both light novel and anime - cannot WAIT for the second season next year), Natsume Yuujinchou (only manga, but it's stolen my heart, haha), Noragami (both manga and anime, and absolutely love it), Kyoukai no Kanata, Sword Art Online (I've as up to date with the light novels as I've been able to get, and was pleasantly surprised at the anime).

Hellsing was good (both series, but especially Ultimate - it captured the manga very nicely indeed). Kamisama Hajimema****a is one of my favourites, too (both manga and anime), but chiefly because of pretty art and bishounen, haha... sucker for both, especially when they're mixed with supernatural themes and a decent story. Umm... a recent one I watched was Kyo Kara Maoh!. Good entertainment, doesn't aspire to be more than it is, pretty fun. Shiki is a good horror one. Thought provoking. I've also seen Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, and LOVED it. So much so that I rewatched it immediately afterwards. I've seen Nichijou, too. If anyone has recommendations similar to those two, I'd love to know!

A manga that's always been pretty special to me is Donten ni Warau. Supernatural, again, fantasy, historical... the most well-done death of a character I've ever seen. It's an ongoing series, though, so I'm not completely set on my opinion yet. It'll always rank highish, though.

Argh, I've read/watched too many. There's at least five times as many titles that I haven't yet mentioned that I've enjoyed. Mmm. I'll edit this post when I remember more and have more time, haha.

Edit: Ah, does anyone here remember Calimero? I don't think it ever showed in English, but it was quite popular in NL when I was a child, and every now and then my grandparents send over a VCR or DVD with some episodes or an OVA. Used to watch Heidi and Nils Holgersson so much that the VCR tapes had fog and white lines running through them, too. Hmm. I don't think either of those had a showing in English, either, apart from the film length edited version of Heidi. Oh! There was also this series of Pinocchio. I loved it, but my sister didn't, because of this one episode where Gepetto is looking for Pinocchio, and Pinocchio can hear him, but can't find him, and it's not Gepetto he can hear, anyway, it's the fox. I also watched The Brave Frog, which I now read is a condensed film-length version of a 52 episode anime... it was sad. That film haunted my childhood, and still haunts my life now.

I've also seen ALL of the Ghibli films, barring the very newest, The Wind Rises. I mean all. That includes Goshu the Cellist, Castle of Cagliostro, Ocean Waves, and other obscure ones. I've liked them all, and loved most.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:21:33 PM by Lenny »
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
Welp, I'm officially catching up on One Piece now.  Man, I've missed this show.
This is only going to snowball.  I should be careful.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
Welp, I'm officially catching up on One Piece now.  Man, I've missed this show.
This is only going to snowball.  I should be careful.

I'm considering watching the Impel Down + Marineford arc again. It's hands down two of the best arcs in shounen-anime as a whole in my opinion.

Incidentally, the abridged One Piece series, though not really an anime, is great.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 04:32:12 PM »
I'm considering watching the Impel Down + Marineford arc again. It's hands down two of the best arcs in shounen-anime as a whole in my opinion.

Incidentally, the abridged One Piece series, though not really an anime, is great.
Yus.  That and the Alabasta arc are both really, really good.  My friend is reading the manga, and he's been saying the newest arc is the best one he's seen so far, which has me really pumped.  I just finished up the Fishman Island arc.

I know DBZ Abridged is fantastic, but I haven't checked out One Piece Abridged yet.  I'll give it a look.
Feel free to PM.