Author Topic: Personal Dreamworld  (Read 26541 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: Personal Dreamworld
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
oooooh I like this thread
Have any of you been to Hall of Mosses and/or the Hoh Rainforest in general? Or First Beach? Trees are all covered in moss, mostly douglas-fir-ish and bigleaf maple, but with lots of ferns and huckleberries in the undergrowth. Drizzly rain a lot of the time. First Beach is mostly sandy/pebbly, with tide-pools and sea-stacks, and is separated by a cliff from the rainforest.
Have some photos! (under a spoiler because Google Images was too much for me and there are lots of them)
Spoiler: show
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Ah, thinking this up has been way too much fun!
Like many other people here, my dreamworld would be in a forest. Actually, it would pretty much be a conglomeration of images from where I grew up. Like this area of farmland and this river:

Source                                                                                             Source

The forest would be everywhere else. :) I'd appear in the valley and then be able to run around freely. The weather would fluctuate a lot, although it would rain all the time, snow in the winter, but never be painfully cold.
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
My dreamworld would have snow. Lots of snow. There would be a little frozen pond for skating on with large trees around it. (There's a place like this in Quebec that I've been to many times, but I don't have any pictures of it on hand) I would spend a lot of time in the trees hiding and just watching everything.

And because it's a dream there would also be books (ALL the books) and they would be safe from the weather because I said so. :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
I don't have pictures but if you look up Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America, basically there. I went one year for New Years celebration, and I've never felt more at peace or energetic, let alone both at the same time. There's a lot of trees, a lovely river where the practitioners (and anyone who wishes to join) can take part in daily cleansing ceremonies and not too much sunlight. But I did get to see the full moon on one of the nights I was there.

I think a lot of people here tend toward forests from what I've seen.

On a side note, considering I do lucid dream and have other weird, mage-ish experiences, I almost feel like I should have made my ssssona a mage, but then I'd feel like he'd be a little too close to what we've seen of Lalli at the time I'd made Ilmari. Tho now we're getting more of Lalli's personality...
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
This is a very pretty and thought-inspiring thread!
I actually built myself a dream-space as a child inspired by bag end.  :D It was a lovely little hobbit-hole with all the rooms I wanted myself to have but I haven't visited it recently.
Nowadays it would be more like my favourite café at 8:45 AM, with me as the only visitor. I simply love the smell of coffee and cakes and the quiet bustling of the bakers in the bakery. Alone thinking about it sets me at peace.
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

RaeSeddon

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
I know exactly what my dreamspace would be-- growing up I lived around a lot of farm lands and woods, and there was a long, deep gully by my house. Along the gully floor was a small spring with a huge oak right next to it. My dreamspace would be that spring, in summer specifically. I'd 'wake up' right next to the pond, with the sound of water tumbling over tree roots and dapples of light filtering down overhead. The gully would stretch out east to west from the spring and on one end would come out to a field and on the other the vastness of the dreamscape.

I spent a huge amount of my childhood in those woods, and when I think "safe" and "home" it's the first thing to come to mind on an instinctual level.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »
If you had your own personal Dreamworld how frequently would you visit, and what would it look like?
Mine is a library in a forest and has internet connection.
I started to think (Maybe the swamp next to my grandparents's old house ?) but I know yet what would be my personal dreamworld : it's a forest. Deep, very green forest, with moss, stones, and huge trees. It might have little cabins in the trees, and I assume there is a lake somewhere, in one or an other direction.

It seems we're numerous to have a forest :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
My dreamspace wouldn't really be an existing place. The closest would be the old columns of Greece, except without any roofs. Just a platform with lots of marble columns, a couple hundred feet high, glittering in sunlight, with fallen autumn leaves blowing across the floor. This is based on the Requiem series by Daniel Arenson.
I would be all alone there, nice and quiet :). (Until Reynir comes wandering in somehow)
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Fogtreader

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2015, 02:31:18 AM »
My dreamworld is a place where I can get to anywhere I’d like to be at a time when I can’t. It is called the Foyer. This is the entryway to all dreams; a place where they all entwine together by their loose ends. There are paths, stairways and corridors that climb, weave and fall to countless destinations. It is made of platforms, verandas, gardens and alcoves interconnected, joining at realistic and impossible angles, and sometimes free floating in the open space between. There are plenty of archways, and portals in the Foyer, but no doors; no obstructions of any kind.
All manner of dreamers pass through here on their way to their own dreams. Some hurry up and down the gilt stairways like underclassmen who are late for a lecture. Others shuffle steadily together like a sleepwalking army, while still more might travel by kyak on meandering waterways, and off the edge of falls that come out on the other side of another part as a bursting fountain.  Some of the more lucid and powerful dreamers ignore the conventions of paths and stairs by flying or swimming through the great open spaces. Or perhaps they just lazily drift along as an otter on the bay. Then of course there are those who are not going anywhere and just stay in the Foyer to enjoy its many delights. Although this is a busy place, one can always find just the perfect spot for some alone time.
Entering dreams through the Foyer is done in every way imaginable. One may by stepping through a portal, diving off a platform into a pool, picking a dream from a tree, catching it like a carousel ring as you slide by on a banister, or by reading a book that another dreamer left behind on a bench for you.
For me the places I go to often from here include the following, mostly real world places.

Rice Lake, Eagle River WI, my childhood summer home and still is.

Mt. Ngauruhoe, New Zealand, very handy when you need to properly dispose of a dangerous, evil, magic artifact.

Asilomar, CA, okay, so I live right up the street from it but a shortcut is always nice.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2015, 02:38:40 AM »
My dreamworld is a place where I can get to anywhere I’d like to be at a time when I can’t. It is called the Foyer. This is the entryway to all dreams; a place where they all entwine together by their loose ends.

There are paths, stairways and corridors that climb, weave and fall to countless destinations. It is made of platforms, verandas, gardens and alcoves interconnected, joining at realistic and impossible angles, and sometimes free floating in the open space between. There are plenty of archways, and portals in the Foyer, but no doors; no obstructions of any kind.

I immediately thought of this ("Relativity" by M.C. Escher)

Regrettably, your links below don't work.  They don't seem complete -- did you copy just specific filenames from something like Dropbox? 
Rice Lake, Eagle River WI, my childhood summer home and still is.

Mt. Ngauruhoe, New Zealand, very handy when you need to properly dispose of a dangerous, evil, magic artifact.

Asilomar, CA, okay, so I live right up the street from it but a shortcut is always nice.

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
I would have a large area, with some streams and a lot of rocks. There would be a lot of trees for me to climb in, and sometimes little knots to rest on. Really dense fog all over, and no-one there. Except cats. lots of cats. I like having time to myself, which unfortunately at this age I do not get.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Fogtreader

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
Regrettably, your links below don't work.  They don't seem complete -- did you copy just specific filenames from something like Dropbox?

Yeah, I learned that as I attempted to add the images. I'm on another SM forum that lets you upload an image from the "Attachments and other options" below. This one does not however and as I do not have my photos ready uploaded to a cloud I can't show them here. Oh well.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Yeah, I learned that as I attempted to add the images. I'm on another SM forum that lets you upload an image from the "Attachments and other options" below. This one does not however and as I do not have my photos ready uploaded to a cloud I can't show them here. Oh well.

Well, attachments were disabled very early on because they took up too much space.

Anyway, my dreamworld would be an island with mountains in the middle and a little bit of forest and some abandoned buildings.

Basically, it's like Myst Island without the linking books.

A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »
Right now I think my favorite place in the world is around Lake Superior, so I think my dream space would be characteristic of somewhere near Lake Superior. The shores of Lake Superior are known for being very rocky and full of jagged cliffs and something Lake Superior's pretty known for, it's "black rocks" but still plenty of trees and plant life around. Mostly pine, white birch, and oak. There'd be lots of blueberry and raspberry bushes around too, most of my fondest memories being outside in wooded areas or forests near Lake Superior are when Blueberries and Raspberries are ripe so my friends and I would snack on them while we were out hiking. Coming off of one of the rock faces would be a stream giving way to a waterfall into the lake. I've always loved waterfalls, the best hiking trips I've been on entailed seeing and spending lots of time around waterfalls, but nothing too big, just big enough to give off a bit of mist. Even though it might be out of place in this setting along the stream leading up to the waterfall would be lots of weeping willows. When I was a kid all of the rivers I spent time around had a lot of weeping willows around them, also a willow tree was planted by a family member when I was born so that tree's always kind of been "my tree" and also one of my favorite books when I was a kid had a willow tree in it that was pretty central to the plot that made me really like willow trees on top of "my tree" being a willow tree. (Buttermilk, it's a really cute book with gorgeous illustrations and has a really good lesson behind it about learning to look at your fears in a different light)

Or maybe there wouldn't be a lake around, just a river with some rapids and a waterfall but it would still be reminiscent of the area close to Lake Superior.

I think if there was any sort of building or structure around, it would be an old stone building covered in vines, maybe some ruins of some sort, with vines overgrowing it. Sometimes when out hiking by the lake we'd find the old stone remains of the foundation of a house that'd been there a century or two ago, and I've always found something to be exceptionally lovely and peaceful about old stone ruins being reclaimed by nature.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

pinkie