General > Language Board

WordNerding

<< < (2/35) > >>

SugaAndSpice:

--- Quote from: Adrai Thell on April 12, 2015, 10:55:55 PM ---Not an answer, Willowham, but...

I love the word octothorpe. Seriously, best ever.

And of course there's the stupidly long word with no real need to exist, antidisestablishmentarianism. Favorite of a friend who tried to impress everyone by rattling it off in conversation every once in a while, without it pertaining to the sentence in any way...

--- End quote ---

Not to be personal, but is that friend named Leo? I know a Leo who baffled the class by rattling it off at the end of the day. What the HAY is an octothorpe?? wow, sorry. Just looked it up. I have Internet, but apparently no brain. Ha, when I typed brain, it came up with Braidy in the auto correct. LOL.

SugaAndSpice:

--- Quote from: tabeabd on April 12, 2015, 10:58:21 PM ---

Oh oh, and my favorite Lithuanian word so far is the word for thank you. A?i?. Which keeps not showing up correctly on my screen for some reason.

YES.

--- End quote ---

Bless you. ;)

DancingRanger:
My favorite words are Smörgås (sandwich), Sköldpaddan(the turtle), and nej(no).

Sunflower:
I know it's really low-brow to be amused/intrigued by perfectly ordinary words in other languages, but when I was about 12 I was just knocked over to learn:
1) "Pamplemousse" = "grapefruit" in French
2) "Kartoffel" = "potato" in German.  It's just fun to say.  Kartoffel, Kartoffel, Kartoffel.   ;D

EDIT: 

One of my favorite English words to baffle people with is "monopsony."  It's the mirror-image of "monopoly."  In a monopoly, one supplier controls the market for something, holding all the buyers hostage. 

In a monopsony, one *buyer* controls the market, holding all the *suppliers* hostage.  I'm not sure there are pure monopsonies in the U.S. (at least where the gov't isn't involved, e.g. buying nuclear bombers).  However, Wal-Mart is at least a partial monopsony; it's a VERY powerful buyer, so all its suppliers (Colgate-Palmolive, etc.) jump when it snaps its fingers.

SugaAndSpice:
This is absurd! I was talking about the word anomaly, and it showed up in the comments. My brother was talkeding about pamplmousse juice, and, well, look! Also, I forgot. I know how to say mushroom, window, and spinach in French, amongst other givens ( mui, excuse mui, etc.) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version