Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 68183 times)

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
Re: On Learning Finnish
« Reply #345 on: July 26, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
Do you mean like school books meant for adults learning Finnish, or children’s books?

Hmm, good question…what would you recommend? I'm open to either, methinks.
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #346 on: July 26, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
Somewhere I saw Eila ja Ossi recommended, I gather it's intended for immigrants to Finland. I managed to find a pdf online, but then got swamped with work (and my trip to Finland cancelled  :( ) so didn't get far. But I'm planning to get back to it once I finish renovating my home office. What website are you using?
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Somewhere I saw Eila ja Ossi recommended, I gather it's intended for immigrants to Finland. I managed to find a pdf online, but then got swamped with work (and my trip to Finland cancelled  :( ) so didn't get far. But I'm planning to get back to it once I finish renovating my home office. What website are you using?

I can take a look...thanks!
I’m using Duolingo at the moment–great for speaking, not so much for grammar.
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »
Here is a collection page of teaching videos by YLE, the Finnish public broadcaster: https://yle.fi/aihe/oppiminen/suomen-kielen-alkeet

I have no idea how good (or not) these are in terms of being interesting / engaging, but the language will likely be correct.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2020, 02:54:05 PM »
Oh, I gotta keep this thread in mind, I´m also still looking for something better than Quizlet to learn! (Don´t learn Finnish from scratch with Quizlet. At least not with Quizlets other people made. They keep having spelling mistakes.)

When I googled the book Vulpes mentioned, one of the first things that came up was a website dedicated to book recommendations for learning Finnish. I´m not sure how helpful it is, and whether you already found it, but I´ll drop it here anyway:
https://finland.fi/life-society/how-the-heck-do-you-learn-finnish-part-1/
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
I can take a look...thanks!
Yeah, I’m using Duolingo as well and I like how it works for me. But of course the best way to learn any language is to take regular lessons from that language-speaking person, I think.
Actually I made an interesting thing - I made my Siri (that digital person in the iPhone you can give commands to) speak Finnish!  :'D It’s really fun to talk to it, especially when you are just trying to practice pronunciation (and don’t really understand what it says back :'D)

It depends a lot on a person who is learning because the best ways to learn might be different. Like, I couldn’t use the book to learn Finnish because I needed someone to teach me how to pronounce everything in there (transcriptions are sometimes hard to get). But again, it depends on the kind of the mind which is learning.
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
Here is a collection page of teaching videos by YLE, the Finnish public broadcaster: https://yle.fi/aihe/oppiminen/suomen-kielen-alkeet

I have no idea how good (or not) these are in terms of being interesting / engaging, but the language will likely be correct.

Oh, I gotta keep this thread in mind, I´m also still looking for something better than Quizlet to learn! (Don´t learn Finnish from scratch with Quizlet. At least not with Quizlets other people made. They keep having spelling mistakes.)

When I googled the book Vulpes mentioned, one of the first things that came up was a website dedicated to book recommendations for learning Finnish. I´m not sure how helpful it is, and whether you already found it, but I´ll drop it here anyway:
https://finland.fi/life-society/how-the-heck-do-you-learn-finnish-part-1/

Thanks to you both, those are new to me! Can hardly wait to get my little work-space set up so that I can talk to myself without driving my SO crazy.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
If you're in the market for easy children's books, there's a small collection available for free at https://childrensbooksforever.com/childrenpages/finnish. It has books in a number of languages, Finnish included.

Duolingo finally added Finnish???? Maybe it's time to revisit my attempts to learn... I do well with the "gamification" style of learning, after all...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Duolingo finally added Finnish????
Yes! They actually did! I was so excited when I found that out!

That’s my favorite and most convenient (I think) app for learning languages ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:55:00 PM by Annuil »

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #354 on: July 28, 2020, 07:56:47 AM »
And now that we began learning Finnish, check this out so you don´t get too stuck with stuff you don´t really need: Ismo Leikola speaks of the most important word of Finnish
(English subtitles)

Also, Ismo Leikola says Finnish Small Talk is Advanced:

It's funny because it's true!

And don't forget the old (black&white) pronomini-rock (or pronoun-rock) by Pertti "Spede" Pasanen.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #355 on: July 28, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
Duolingo finally added Finnish???? Maybe it's time to revisit my attempts to learn... I do well with the "gamification" style of learning, after all...

Wait what??? Maybe it´s time to redownload that app...

And now that we began learning Finnish, check this out so you don´t get too stuck with stuff you don´t really need: ...

"No niin". I´ll keep that in mind, it seems to be really usefull. :'D

For the second one, the subtitles don´t seem to work. Youtube thinks it is Spanish for some reason. I highly doubt he´s talking about gods with asthma...

Oh no, the third one will be stuck in my head for all eternity. :'D
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
Haha, "no niin" seems to function a lot like several similar phrases in different Canadian provinces:

Nova Scotia (especially the more northern part of the mainland and Cape Breton Island): inhaled "Yuh". Impossible to convey in writing, it's part audible inhale, part whisper. Can be used to indicate assent, surprise, or lack of surprise, among many others.

New Brunswick, at least in Carelton County: "Yes sir". Emphasis on yes; sir usually almost inaudible. Most often used as filler when the conversation lags.

Newfoundland & Labrador: "Yes b'y". Every bit as versatile as "no niin". May indicate agreement or assent, but more likely to show surprise, disbelief, disapproval, pleasure, etc.... or act as filler when the conversation lags, although that doesn't often happen.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
Ismo has btw performed a lot in the US as well, I assume there’s fairly a lot of material in English too if you like him :) He won “the funniest man in the world” a few years ago in some Las Vegas event or something like that.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2020, 09:11:10 PM »
Oh no, the third one will be stuck in my head for all eternity. :'D

Same with me! At least it’s a pronunciation song, so it’s not too bad to have it being stuck in your head! :'D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:04:50 PM by Annuil »

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #359 on: August 13, 2020, 02:39:54 AM »

For the second one, the subtitles don´t seem to work. Youtube thinks it is Spanish for some reason. I highly doubt he´s talking about gods with asthma...

So in the second one Ismo starts it with saying that it's an incorrect rumor that Finns can't do small talk - our small talk is just a more developed/advanced version. It happens when two or three men who don't know each other are in the sauna together:

"ohhoh" (Oh my, we must talk!!)
"semmosta" (That's what [it is] like)
"kyllä." (Yes! We have done the talking. We can stop now)

None of them would be making those noises without the other(s). This forms a connection there -- and later they say if someone asks: "Yes, I know him. Good fellow" despite never meeting again after the sauna session.

Ismo isn't curious enough to ask his wife about 2-3 women small talking in the sauna I guess... :D
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany: