General > Language Board

Finnish learning thread!

(1/76) > >>

Ann Marie:
Come on, I know there's at least one more of you out there.  Want to celebrate/commiserate?

starfallz:
AAAAAA ALL THE VOWELS.

Ahem. I have problems differentiating U, Ö, and Y.

I'm sloooowly working through a Teach Yourself Finnish book that Flik gave me, but find it hard to listen to the CDs. I've been poking at Memrise, but it is just vocabulary memorization. So, all I can do so far is say my name, my nationality, and what languages I speak.

Ann Marie:
Yay!  I'm not (completely) alone!  I go to memrise a few times a week, but it's so hard to learn words without context.  Especially all the ones with lots of ys and äs, I cannot keep those apart.

I have a phone app, "Finnish in a month" that seems more helpful, but there's not a whole lot to it.  Haven't found any books locally, so I'm going to have to order one online.  What is the book you have? 

Y is hard!  Especially before another vowel.  Double consonants make me cry.  :-(  And double vowels at the end of a word.

Synthpopalooza:
Plus I think it is the only language that I have seen so far that uses a double ää umlaut.  As in "Hyvää syntymäpäivää!", what you wish someone on their birthday.

JoB:

--- Quote from: Synthpopalooza on February 24, 2015, 04:55:17 PM ---Plus I think it is the only language that I have seen so far that uses a double ää umlaut.

--- End quote ---
Well, Germans use the onomatopoie of "määh" for the sounds sheep make ...

... wait, that's not going to turn out to be a particularly well-hidden racist slur, is it? :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version