Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81584 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #435 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
Helia hooks marvels :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
So I bought a 'learn to knit' kit with the hope it had picture directions of how to knit. It did not. But I now have the patterns for a hat, a cable scarf, and fingerless gloves. I feel excited to try them, but I'm unsure how to do it. :/
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2015, 11:08:03 PM »
So I bought a 'learn to knit' kit with the hope it had picture directions of how to knit. It did not. But I now have the patterns for a hat, a cable scarf, and fingerless gloves. I feel excited to try them, but I'm unsure how to do it. :/

Maybe you'll find some of these useful

That tumblr post has links to the resources that I used when I was teaching myself how to knit. Maybe that will have what you need. It might also be worthwhile to poke around youtube - I've found some great visual guides for fiddly stuff, so I'm sure there are videos of the basics as well.

It might be worthwhile to try a flat scarf a first (not cables), just to get the hang of it.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #438 on: October 10, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
Maybe you'll find some of these useful

That tumblr post has links to the resources that I used when I was teaching myself how to knit. Maybe that will have what you need. It might also be worthwhile to poke around youtube - I've found some great visual guides for fiddly stuff, so I'm sure there are videos of the basics as well.

It might be worthwhile to try a flat scarf a first (not cables), just to get the hang of it.

Ooo! This does look helpful. I've been knitting on and off on a flat item (might become a scarf, might not. IDK). Thanks. I'm gonna save the cool yarn that came with the kit for the cable scarf, and continue to play with my funky yarn in learning.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2015, 04:46:28 AM »
Ooo! This does look helpful. I've been knitting on and off on a flat item (might become a scarf, might not. IDK). Thanks. I'm gonna save the cool yarn that came with the kit for the cable scarf, and continue to play with my funky yarn in learning.

If your knitting is already identifiable as a "flat item", you're a fast learner. (My first "scarf" was so weird looking my parents called it "the amoeba"). Funky yarn was made for learning- you might want to give up trying to make the project look good completely and just learn all the different stitches and types of patterns you'll need later. What's the yarn that you got in the kit like?
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
If your knitting is already identifiable as a "flat item", you're a fast learner. (My first "scarf" was so weird looking my parents called it "the amoeba"). Funky yarn was made for learning- you might want to give up trying to make the project look good completely and just learn all the different stitches and types of patterns you'll need later. What's the yarn that you got in the kit like?

Thank you, I also crochet so I've had a lot of practice with yarn working. I'm going with my instinct that the yarn is a light weight, acyrilc yarn, dyed in red-grey-black colour scheme. The funky yarn is a weird pinkish-red that looks orange when photographed, it's a little heaver and also acrylic.

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2015, 12:33:29 AM »
So many nice handicraft works! You are amazing.

I couldn’t resist buying these two SSSS coloured yarns and trying to crochet the logo. It’s just a quick work, so the result is... a little rustic.
I was too lazy to cut the yarns and join them again when changing colours, but I’ll make a neater piece now, that I have the pattern.

So I saw your icon somewhere else in the forum and thought "oh my gosh, please tell me that's a real thing someone crocheted, I desperately need the pattern!" After some sleuthing I finally found this thread and I'm super excited! Do you have a pattern for this? I feel like it would be really fun to do an afghan of it or something, and we're getting into the time of year when I get excited to crochet again.
(Also, your amigurumi characters are amazing! This whole thread is amazing.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
So I saw your icon somewhere else in the forum and thought "oh my gosh, please tell me that's a real thing someone crocheted, I desperately need the pattern!" After some sleuthing I finally found this thread and I'm super excited! Do you have a pattern for this? I feel like it would be really fun to do an afghan of it or something, and we're getting into the time of year when I get excited to crochet again.
(Also, your amigurumi characters are amazing! This whole thread is amazing.)

Also coming into a chapter break, which is always a great time to start off some SSSS inspired crafts. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
So I'm not sure if I've gotten it quite right, but I think I've mostly figured out the granny square Helia made? Mine don't look as crisp, but it gets the general idea. I think these are going to become a scarf or something; I have to get some yarn in the right colors before I make anything more ambitious.

Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #444 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
Looks so nice!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #445 on: October 29, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »
So I'm not sure if I've gotten it quite right, but I think I've mostly figured out the granny square Helia made? Mine don't look as crisp, but it gets the general idea. I think these are going to become a scarf or something; I have to get some yarn in the right colors before I make anything more ambitious.

Awwww, these are SUPER CUTE!!

now off to bed for real...
* Curry scuttles away
YEET

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »

Very nice! They look lovely
Spoiler: A few tips for making squares look crisper, if you are interested • show
-Add one more stitch in each corner to make it less rounded.
-Block it when you finish, to move the stitches where you want them. (Let me know if you have questions about how to do this.)
-Connect the squares to each other and they will even out a bit. (Which I see you are already planning!)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #447 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:50 PM »

Looks really nice. My mother never taught me how to make granny squares. . .and is that a blessed feline I spy in the first picture?

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:15 AM »
Looks so nice!
Aww, thank you!

Awwww, these are SUPER CUTE!!

now off to bed for real...
* Curry scuttles away
Thanks! And good night!

Very nice! They look lovely
Spoiler: A few tips for making squares look crisper, if you are interested • show
-Add one more stitch in each corner to make it less rounded.
-Block it when you finish, to move the stitches where you want them. (Let me know if you have questions about how to do this.)
-Connect the squares to each other and they will even out a bit. (Which I see you are already planning!)

Ooh, thank you for the tips! I'm still pretty new at making granny squares so I will take all the advice I can get. I haven't blocked anything before but I was considering trying it out on these. I think I eventually want to make an afghan of them (or maybe a combination of these and some other kind of squares) so I can use these to practice before I start that.

Looks really nice. My mother never taught me how to make granny squares. . .and is that a blessed feline I spy in the first picture?
Haha, my mother didn't either...she claims the crafty gene skipped a generation. I've been lucky enough to have lots of other crafty ladies in my life to teach me things though. And these days youtube videos are super helpful. I had to use one to figure out how to get the circle part of this to turn into something more square.

And yes, well spotted, that is a blessed feline! He's one of the three who help keep the trolls away from my house.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »

These are so, so cute! I love the idea of making a scarf out of them, that'll be the awesomest scarf ever.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: