Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81583 times)

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
How do you pose them, by the way? Does the crochet lend itself to that, or are there wires inside?

Of course it's sorcery! An ancient and secret crochet-magic...

and sewing pins.

Unfortunately they can't stand on their own - at least alone, because if two of them are leaning on each other (or hugging) they don’t need any further help. But usually I pin their feet to the placemat and if they’re balanced, only one pin might be enough. Once pinned, they can stand upright, especially the tightly  crocheted ones.* The arms can be pinned to the body or themselves - no wires inside.

*How tight or loose the crochet is mostly depends on my mood I guess... for example the Emil-Lalli pair I'm currently working on are little tighter than the prototypes.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #406 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
Of course it's sorcery! An ancient and secret crochet-magic...
Ah, magicramé. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #408 on: July 29, 2015, 01:58:30 AM »
Time for a group photo (or two)  :)

*flails in delight*  I join the others in fangirling over this accomplishment. I'm not worthy! (no, really, I'm not..)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #409 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:32 AM »
First: Helia, Amigurumemil is great! SO shiny! ^^

And... Yeah what could one possibly do with a bunch of dolls?  ::)
Well... that's exactly what I've been asked since March. Because when people started joking about how Ása was knitting Reynir, I sort of took it as a challenge.
All during April everyone waited for me to just drop it mid-project.
Somewhere around May my family and friends just accepted, that I went completely bonkers.

So here are the results of three months of knitting:

Currently they are exploring my room, raiding the bookshelves and getting accustomed to a quiet little place in the Silent World (you’ll get Pictures as soon as they settled in properly).  :D

Finally finished my itty-bitty-kitty as well – she fits into my hand purrfectly:

Emil thinks she’s simply miutiful

*still flailing* Now I'm verklempt.  I adore the expressions you've put on them. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

WellAnFree

« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
To be honest, I'm extremely happy that so many of you like these amigurumis, because when I started making them it felt rather stupid. (crocheting dolls of webcomic characters?). But now, I love them dearly and I'm proud to be an SSSS fan-crocheter  :)

Oh yah?  Wait until you start crocheting dolls of your own character from RPG games like NWN or WoW, that's when you will truly wonder if you stepped off the edge.   ;D

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
Just read all the thread. You all are sooo talented!

Amigugumi dolls are awesome!

Mirl, they are adorable!

Helia, I'm in love with them all!

starfallz, your mittens are so much beautiful, may I ask to use your pattern for making mine?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:31:59 PM by Olga Veresk »
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #412 on: September 12, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
starfallz, your mittens are so much beautiful, may I ask to use you pattern for making mine?

I just have to finish a few things with my second mitten and then I'm going to write up the pattern. Would you like to test knit for me? I need test knitters for it and would be glad to share.
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #413 on: September 13, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »
I had a thought for you yesterday, yes, you who are able to understand how to hook, and how to hold it properly. I'm assuming being left-handed was a little handicap, but also that seeing two complete beginners trying to make first stitches was funny. I won't compete with Helia's and Mirl's amigurumis before a... a moment :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #414 on: September 13, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
I just have to finish a few things with my second mitten and then I'm going to write up the pattern. Would you like to test knit for me? I need test knitters for it and would be glad to share.

OK =) Yes, I can do test knit for you. And do you use wool yarn for your mittens? Or wool and acrylic? Or something else?

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
OK =) Yes, I can do test knit for you. And do you use wool yarn for your mittens? Or wool and acrylic? Or something else?

I use a wool yarn for these. These are done with a DK weight yarn but if you have smaller hands it might work better with a fingering weight.

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2015, 04:27:12 PM »
I use a wool yarn for these. These are done with a DK weight yarn but if you have smaller hands it might work better with a fingering weight.

I got it. Thank you! Next week I'll try to find wool the colours I need for mittens )

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
Hi, Yarncrafters!  I've got a slightly Off-Topic request because this is the closest topic I've seen to embroidery / counted cross-stitch.  Has anyone worked out a cross-stitch pattern for the Nordic Council star?  My wife wants to make some for Minnion meet ups (we already owe Mamioja ;) ).
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #418 on: September 14, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »
So what did I waste all my free time this weekend on? Learning to make ribbon out of thin wool yarn, that's what. It's for cosplay purposes but as this part is still very generic I'm plopping it here in the Yarncrafters instead.

Here's the first attempt at weaving the trim ribbon. Well, I say first but I mean more like... first successful attempt. For sure the bin is full of failed ones because I had no idea what I was doing for most of the time, just that it was entirely possible to hand-weave ribbons like this and that I really wanted to make the uniform trims that way. My motto in life: "just because I don't know how to doesn't mean I won't die trying" (see: all my fight challenges thrown around on this forum).

A first attempt just learning basics, horribly uneven hand.

A close-up on the ribbon. The weave is still untidy but with a bit of practice I'm thinking it might work!

I originally considered tablet-weaving, but turned out the yarn I have is not strong enough for how the warp twists. Then I got to thinking of another Medieval ribbon-making technique, a bit younger but faster than tablet-weaving... you basically need a very simple kind of a loom (I didn't have one so I made one out of a piece of plastic box) for it. Finns call it a pirta, I'm not sure about the English term as I couldn't find it anywhere (if anyone knows it please share!).

This is how it looks on the other side, I'm still using a very simplistic technique where I'm only picking the pattern from the lower half of the warp. If you pick the pattern from both warp halves the sides will be identical, just the colours will switch.

This is pretty much how the process went. :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:01:43 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #419 on: September 14, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »
I'm still not understanding how you can do that after years and years and having see girls doing some with the... card-thing when we were in medieval reconstruction, but your result is promising, Laufey :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: