Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81580 times)

KMK

• Scout
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
Hi Starfalz! First what in the world kind of spinning wheel do you have that you are afraid will mangle your kid or did you mean that you were afraid the kid will mangle the spinning wheel. I could see a walking wheel maybe mangling a kid. It does have that icepick like spindle. I have had puppies chew up my drive belt and rough up the corners of my foot pedal. The device I own that I would be terrified to have in the vicinity of a toddler are my Viking combs.

I should be shearing at least one sheep tomorrow. Probably one of the brown ones.

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »
Hi Starfalz! First what in the world kind of spinning wheel do you have that you are afraid will mangle your kid or did you mean that you were afraid the kid will mangle the spinning wheel. I could see a walking wheel maybe mangling a kid. It does have that icepick like spindle. I have had puppies chew up my drive belt and rough up the corners of my foot pedal. The device I own that I would be terrified to have in the vicinity of a toddler are my Viking combs.

I should be shearing at least one sheep tomorrow. Probably one of the brown ones.

Yay shearing! I have a Fricke wheel, but my kid doesn't have an appropriate sense of danger and a spinning wheel with holes in it would be asking for danger.

Yes, I wouldn't let my kid near my combs or my hand cards. *shudder*
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

WellAnFree

« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2015, 06:46:52 AM »
Yay shearing! I have a Fricke wheel, but my kid doesn't have an appropriate sense of danger and a spinning wheel with holes in it would be asking for danger.

Yes, I wouldn't let my kid near my combs or my hand cards. *shudder*
Ooooh, Frickes are lovely wheels, they've got a gazillion ratio choices. Or twelve.  Okay, maybe five. Whichever, they're nice wheels.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:59:18 AM by WellAnFree »

WellAnFree

« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
Oh, wow. You people are amazing. I have found my crafty people <3.

Sorry if this has been asked/done before, but has anyone tried to make Lalli's hat? I love hats, and I want that one.

If anyone has attempted this and has patterns/advice to share, I'm all ears!
I've found a couple hats on Ravelry that could do the trick with the right slight modifications. I'll find the links to the patterns I'm thinking of and post for you.

WellAnFree

« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
This is not SSSS related in any way, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there that might be able to translate this pattern from German to English?

http://www.wunderweib.de/media/redaktionell/wunderweib/wohnendeko/pdfs_4/bella_17/bella-kimomo.pdf

Please? With sugar on top?

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
Ooooh, Frickes are lovely wheels, they've got a gazillion ratio choices. Or twelve.  Okay, maybe five. Whichever, they're nice wheels.

I think just 5 (it's hiding up in my closet right now so I'm not going to check). But they handle the wide variety of what I want to do well. Right now I just spin a little on drop spindle to feel like I haven't forgotten how to spin, but it takes much longer to feel like I'm getting anywhere.
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Wolfram

« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Oh, wow. You people are amazing. I have found my crafty people <3.

Sorry if this has been asked/done before, but has anyone tried to make Lalli's hat? I love hats, and I want that one.

If anyone has attempted this and has patterns/advice to share, I'm all ears!

Not yet, but that sound like an interesting project

Native: ....:france:
Understand: :uk:
Learning: ..:poland:

:chap7: newbie

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #292 on: May 24, 2015, 04:07:40 AM »
So many nice handicraft works! You are amazing.

I couldn’t resist buying these two SSSS coloured yarns and trying to crochet the logo. It’s just a quick work, so the result is... a little rustic.
I was too lazy to cut the yarns and join them again when changing colours, but I’ll make a neater piece now, that I have the pattern.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:45:02 AM by Helia »
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #293 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »

I couldn’t resist buying these two SSSS coloured yarns and trying to crochet the logo. It’s just a quick work, so the result is... a little rustic.
I was too lazy to cut the yarns and join them again when changing colours, but I’ll make a neater piece now, that I have the pattern.

This is cool!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #294 on: May 24, 2015, 05:34:30 AM »
I made myself a mead-moose inspired by starfallz amazing picture:

Now I can cuddle with it every time I want to  ;D
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #295 on: May 24, 2015, 08:26:49 AM »
I made myself a mead-moose inspired by starfallz amazing picture:

Now I can cuddle with it every time I want to  ;D

I know I said this before, but this looks great!!

Nice! I'm just imagining an afghan made out of these. :D

Mirl

« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
Hey there WellAnFree!

Do you still need help with the translation of the pattern? (After all 9 days passed since your post.)

I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything, but I'm native German, studied English, and I knit - so if the problem's not solved yet, I would give it a try this weekend.  :)
Native: :germany:    Fluent: :uk:    5 years of classes... no chance: :france:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

WellAnFree

« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2015, 11:43:14 PM »
Hey there WellAnFree!

Do you still need help with the translation of the pattern? (After all 9 days passed since your post.)

I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything, but I'm native German, studied English, and I knit - so if the problem's not solved yet, I would give it a try this weekend.  :)

Squeee!

Yes, thank you, that would be lovely. :D  I've been finding the right yarn for this pattern, not focusing on the translation yet.  (There is no way the yarn used in that pattern is worsted weight.)

Thanks so much.

Mirl

« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »

I've been finding the right yarn for this pattern, not focusing on the translation yet.  (There is no way the yarn used in that pattern is worsted weight.)

I'll try my best.  ;)

So first things first.
Here's for the yarn: We Germans don't have a standardised system for yarn weight (although by now some companys start to use the American System, because it's less ambiguous).

The yarn they used here should be: 3 [Worsted/10 ply]: 45% Wool, 40% Mohair, 15% Nylon (according to revelry)
Knitting needles would be 3.5mm and 4 mm [US 4 and 6?] and
a crochethook 3.5mm [US 4/ E?]

They suggest to try a gauge first:24 stitches and 24 rows (using the cable pattern I'll provide a little later and 4mm knitting needles) should provide you with (approximatly) 10x10 cm [about 4x4 inches].

My lokal shop and German amazon still sell this exact yarn, but I think the company's going for a new product line (they don't have it in stock in their own online shop).

In the pattern they provide two sizes: 36/38 (approximatly small) and 42/44 (approximatly medium to large), the data for the larger one is in (brackets). You'll Need about 150g [~5.3 oz] or (200g [~7oz]) of yarn.

I hope that's any help so far - I'll be back later with explanations on the pattern.

P.S. you're very welcome  :D

Mirl

« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
So here I go! ^^

I'm not 100% sure if I used the right technical terms... ^^'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvn1lad5tlovkzj/Kimono-jersey.pdf?dl=0

If there are any questions left feel free to ask (or if anything doesn't work - it's the first time I used dropbox).

Have fun and show me some pictures!  :D