Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81583 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Just wondering - is your thumb really that long? Mine hardly go beyond the palm, so if I were to knit some for myself (can't knit, actually), I guess I would have to adapt the pattern for that ...

The part where the thumb pattern begins is actually at the wrist, so I think it just looks longer than it really is. It's also good to have some extra space for your hands because tight mittens = cold mittens.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »
Just wondering - is your thumb really that long? Mine hardly go beyond the palm, so if I were to knit some for myself (can't knit, actually), I guess I would have to adapt the pattern for that ...

Adding on to what Laufey said, there is also quite a bit of cuff on the mitten.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
I think you are confused by the colour pattern. The thumb is really only the bit above the wedge-shaped increase, which is there to allow for the widening of your hand toward your thumb. So it's not really as long as it appears.
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »

Washed and blocked! Minna gave me approval. I'll post on here when I have a pattern for review!

These are really beautiful!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
Ooh! That might be interesting to some of the people on the yarncraft/handicraft thread. Would you mind sharing it there as well? :)

As requested!
Summary: I've never painted on needlepoint canvas before and this my first practice piece (on some old gross canvas) so it's far from perfect. But I guess it could've been worse? Sigrun and SSSSona doodles make it better.

Also, the stuff in this thread are really cool! I have no idea how to sew/knit/etc.
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

WellAnFree

« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2015, 04:00:04 AM »
If you alternate knit and purl rows you can do cool rolly things!

Speaking of which, I'm going to be knitting some kitty collars like they have in SSSS for me and my friends (the cats, not us :P) and I was wondering what method of switching colored yarns would be best for a thin line around the edges? I'm still VERY inexperienced with knitting but I can knit and purl just fine? Noob question, sorry :0

I suggest doing an i-cord edging, which gives a very finished look.  Here's a video explaining how add it last to your finished piece.
Although most people believe you need double-pointed needles to make i-cord, if you follow how she passes her stitches back to the left-hand needle, you can easily do this with regular needles. Just remember to go down two needle sizes, otherwise the icord can look kinda floppy.

You could also add a crochet edge if you know how to crochet, but it is not going to be quite as smooth.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
As requested!
Summary: I've never painted on needlepoint canvas before and this my first practice piece (on some old gross canvas) so it's far from perfect. But I guess it could've been worse? Sigrun and SSSSona doodles make it better.

Also, the stuff in this thread are really cool! I have no idea how to sew/knit/etc.

This looks very nice! Are you going to stitch it too?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »
This looks very nice! Are you going to stitch it too?

Thanks!
But nah. This was just to practice painting the canvas and I don't know how to stitch haha.
Learning: 

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
This was just to practice painting the canvas and I don't know how to stitch haha.
Isn't it the perfect occasion to learn ? :D
I have made some with my grandmother when I was a child and could have continue doing some if the patterns hadn't been ugly most of the time.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
Isn't it the perfect occasion to learn ? :D
I have made some with my grandmother when I was a child and could have continue doing some if the patterns hadn't been ugly most of the time.

Haha, perhaps when I visit my grandmother again. This was actually her idea. See, my grandparents go to needlework trade shows a few times a year, so the idea was that if I learn how to paint needlepoint canvases well, they can sell them at the shows. (And I'd get the money for them of course)
Learning: 

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
Haha, perhaps when I visit my grandmother again. This was actually her idea. See, my grandparents go to needlework trade shows a few times a year, so the idea was that if I learn how to paint needlepoint canvases well, they can sell them at the shows. (And I'd get the money for them of course)

Oh yes, please do try! We are all here to help you if you need help. And You should try your pattern before you are trying to sell them ;D (*totally not trying to create more SSSS-handcraft*)

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not sure it would be OK to sell a design that Minna has created. She's perfectly fine with fanart, but I think you should check with her first if it's OK to sell something like this?

Maybe I got things wrong and you never intended to sell this particular design... If so, feel free to ignore me. :)
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:04 PM »
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not sure it would be OK to sell a design that Minna has created. She's perfectly fine with fanart, but I think you should check with her first if it's OK to sell something like this?

Maybe I got things wrong and you never intended to sell this particular design... If so, feel free to ignore me. :)

No, I don't intend to sell it. I just thought I'd practice with something simpler at first. The ones I do intend to sell will be by own. If I ever feel compelled to sell something SSSS/aRTD related, I would most definitely ask first. But still, I don't plan on it. And if I did make anything fandom related, it would be for free.
Learning: 

Blacky

• Super-Newbie
  • I like cheese.
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
This thread is neat, you guys have made some pretty cool looking stuff!

WellAnFree

« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
I've had this finished for a while now, but it didn't turn out how I really wanted.  Still, its cute, so here it is. I was trying to make the diamonds look elongated, expecting the yarn to stretch more during blocking.  But they look a bit like lil' turtles... ah well.   ::)

Also didn't plan out how to steek this too well. Didn't add in the extra three inches that was needed for the steeked hem - 1.5" on each side, so the capelet speads open a bit more than I would like. Still fun to swish round the house in it. (Don't quite have the guts to wear it out shopping yet.)